1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Update GPU driver.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 1 Jun 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Clean install each time or not?

The reason I ask is on upgrading to a GTX 980 from the 670 I had so many issues likely caused by not clean installing the latest drivers that it took a complete Windows install to sort things.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Clean install of what?
    The OS, using a driver cleaning program, or using the built in clean install when installing the driver.

I always use the custom/clean install option of the drivers when installing newer version even on the same OS and card, if I upgraded to a newer card I would un-install the driver > shutdown > swap cards > re-install driver.

I would only do a full re-install of the OS if something didn't seem right, like high temps or low FPS, and using a driver cleaner didn't sort it out.

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

No clean install of driver. I only reinstalled Windows because of the many issues I was having and it was simpler than trying and probably making worse the problems I was then having.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As I have said by the time I decided on a reinstall of Windows my issues with the new card or drivers were many and it was simpler to reinstall the OS ETC.

MY original question concerned updates to GPU drivers. use the clean install option or not.

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Kronos, didn't you have to reinstall the OS because you somehow FUBARed the video drivers by not removing the drivers for your SLI 670 cards before installing your new card?

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Err yes. But my question is still about driver updates of which I had a notification of this morning. Should you clean install such an update which is offered or just overwrite which I have tended to do in the past with no issues?

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I see, apologies.

I can't really help you with that because I do it the old fashioned way, by downloading the driver myself, removing the old driver manually as per Nvidia's instructions (linked to in my post above) and then installing the new driver. I've never had a problem doing it that way.

9. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

"Dirty" installs all the way.

Geforce experience says it's time, I tell it to crack on.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

So no consensus. Thanks all.

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

FWIW I let GeForce Experience manage the downloading of updates, and I then install the driver and make it do a clean installation. I find it a reliable way of doing things.

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Is Geforce Experience any good? I only gave it a brief look some time ago before shuddering in fear vowing never to return (auto game settings? No thanks!). Maybe I should have another look.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

For an update, you’d be mad to do a clean install. You’d be reinstalling every two weeks.

Only time I do a clean install is when swapping between AMD/NVidia.

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Kronos means "clean install" as offered in the Nvidia driver installer options, not a OS install.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2015
  15. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Upgrading drivers when you have no current issues will only bring you the possibility issues.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Updating drivers isn't just related to fixing issues, in some cases it brings a marked performance increase or even a decrease, I guess those could be classed as issues it's just difficult to know if that issue effects you without testing.

17. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Wise words. That's one good thing about using older hardware: no more driver optimisations means less faffing around (..until it goes EOL).

18. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Wise words from a AMD user.

Cat 14.9's have been a nightmare for me, random black screens while browsing and idle is enough to make you scream lol

19. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

same here, updated the last 3 nvidia drivers like this problem free

20. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Same here. I only do a "clean" install when swapping cards or if the "dirty" install (update) fails - but frankly, I can't remember the last time a graphics driver update failed. I don't think it has ever happened with any of my W7 or W8 systems and I avoided Vista so it must have been with XP.

But since W7 and W8 are not XP, I don't do things today with W7 or W8 just because those things needed to be done with XP.