bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 10th Aug 2006, 17:31   #101
modsquad
Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

modsquad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkened
Thanks modsquad, your Black Narcissus was actually the inspiration for me to get a V1000 case. Hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of my project as well

Janne
Then I say thanks right-back..
I still think the LL V-series case's are the best-looking available today. Your doing a great job coming up with original ideas to make your project stand out from the crowd, also very clean-work..
Best of luck with the rest..
modsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2006, 22:33   #102
Franklin
Supermodder

Franklin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bookmarked! I love the orange in combination with the black.Looking forward to new updates
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2006, 02:13   #103
Darkened
Hypermodder

Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Thanks a bunch modsquad and Franklin. There's a possible update tomorrow if I get enough work done to actually have something to update on.

And to Franklin, your mod has not been unnoticed by me, I absolutely loved the meticulous work you put in your case. Also awesome work with acrylic, hope I'll get even close to that with this project.

Night everybody.

Janne

Project: Orange Monster - Project: Phantom Black - Project: Red October

Japhoto blog - Google+
Darkened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2006, 00:29   #104
Darkened
Hypermodder

Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Darkened is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Hey all!

Got lots of work done on the project today, but I'm too tired to update now. So I'll be doing it tomorrow when I wake up

Nighty night...

Janne

Japhoto blog - Google+
Old 12th Aug 2006, 09:52   #105
Fr4nk
Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Fr4nk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I canne wait
Old 12th Aug 2006, 09:58   #106
Captain Slug
Infinite Patience

Captain Slug has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Flawless execution so far.
Very interesting.
Old 12th Aug 2006, 18:34   #107
Darkened
Hypermodder

Hey again.

My apologies to everyone watching this thread. I'll have to postpone the update to tomorrow due to some unforseen problems with the case and some of the parts going in there.

I'll try to update after I get back from work, that's at about 0500 hours but if I don't get the chance, then it's going to be tomorrow afternoon.

Once again, sorry about disappointing all of you.

Janne

Japhoto blog - Google+
Old 15th Aug 2006, 00:02   #108
Darkened
Hypermodder

Slot covers...

Greetings!

I'm back with a beaver hat, sorry again about the lack of updates. Though now I'm moving about 300 pics from my camera to my computer, so when I get the pics sorted out, I'll be updating big time.

Today only a small update on the slot covers. Also my DVD burner arrived today and while I was picking it up I bought the PSU for the computer. I was thinking about getting the new Seasonic M-12 modular PSU, but at the last moment decided against it and went with Cooltek 600W Real Plug Power. It had a few things better than the Seasonic. Firstly all of the cables are detachable where Seasonic has fixed ATX, 4- and 8 pin power cables. Secondly Cooltek packs a Papst 120mm fan, where Seasonic has (if I don't remember wrong) an Adda fan. Not a big difference, but I've always been a friend of Papst fans, they do their job, nothing else. Works with me Also Cooltek is 600W where Seasonic only provides 500W and on top of things Cooltek was about 35 cheaper

Okay, so what's happened with the slot covers?

First I slapped some masking tape on them and when they were back in the case, the contours of the "slot cover holes" were drawn on the masking tape.

Then what happened was that I forgot my camera at home when I was doing them, so no pics of the process exist. It was really simple though, just some acrylic cut to 95mm x 12mm pieces, then sanded and polished. Once I had the pieces ready I clamped them on the slot covers and drilled trough both of them using a 3,5mm drillbit. After they were drilled, I deburred the holes and attached the acrylic pieces to the slot covers with M3 hexheads and some shiny dome nuts

So what do they look like, let's find out...

Altogether I made 5 of them.

They look pretty good don't they

Here's the backside and the dome nuts.

And finally here they are installed in the case, only four of them though, don't know why the fifth wasn't in there, but you'll get the taste.

That's it for tonight, more updates tomorrow...

Janne

Japhoto blog - Google+

Last edited by Darkened; 21st Aug 2006 at 20:12.
Old 15th Aug 2006, 02:22   #109
huren
Supermodder

huren has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweet DUDE!
Al the little detailing is awsome, shows that alot of thought is going into the case and you are being rewarded with a great looking case mod.

Keep it up, and im sure we all look foward to your 300 photos ^_^!
huren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2006, 03:05   #110
accro
Minimodder

accro has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ahh, beautiful.
accro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2006, 03:16   #111
gvblake22
mmm, yep

gvblake22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Those PCI slot covers are a nice touch; the first time I've seen such a thing. Very nice creative project so far, can't wait to see it start coming together...
Mod On!
Old 15th Aug 2006, 05:53   #112
modsquad
Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

modsquad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice detail...Keep it up..
modsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2006, 06:20   #113
tkdwarrior
Multimodder

tkdwarrior has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sweet details. keep it up
tkdwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2006, 06:34   #114
JaredC01
Hardware Nut

JaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaredC01 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm... Quick question... Why didn't you put the Acryllic INSIDE the case instead of outside? Just thinking you would look at the inside of the case more than the back.
|i7 920 @ 3.8 HT On||Corsair H50 Push/Pull||EVGA Classified E760||12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600||MSI GTX 580||X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro||WD HDDs (1TB Boot, 2x 500GB RAID 0 Scratch, 2x 2TB RAID 1 Storage)||Revolution 1050w||Corsair 650D||Dell 3007WFP||Logitech Z5500 // G930||Logitech G510 // Razer Mamba|
--If I helped you, please give me rep!
JaredC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2006, 07:34   #115
hydro_electric_655
Dremelly Dude

hydro_electric_655 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Because he wanted the acorn nuts on the inside. That or he LAN's alot and people judge the outside alot.
hydro_electric_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2006, 10:57   #116
chase
Multimodder

chase has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice work man, have you any idea where i can fin dome nuts here in norway?
I've been to severel stores, without any luck....

Keep it up
chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2006, 14:27   #117
Darkened
Hypermodder

Ok guys, decided against modding today so that I can bring you the long overdue updates. It'll take me a while to go trough the pics and modify and upload them, but when I do, I'll be updating again.

Q&A:

@JaredCO1

The acrylic outside the case, hmmm. Well I don't go to lans too often and the case is going to be installed in a place where those things will never be seen. Just wanted to do something different which will also go along with the PSU silencer window just in case the thing is shown somewhere besides my home On the inside it would be cool too, but there already is a lot of acrylic pieces so this time they are on the outside. Thanks for the idea though, I may be using it in some future mod...

@chase

Dome nuts shouldn't be too hard to find, just find a place which sells bolts, screws and nuts almost exclusively and you are bound to find them. I've bought mine from a place called Pultti Nurkka which is roughly translated Bolt Corner Also here where I live is a shop called Metaplan which is quite a lot bigger seller of bolts and such. But to be exact, zinced (is that a word ) dome nuts are easy to find, should be in your local hardware store, but if you want them shinyer, you must go with either inox or chromed brass nuts. And those might be a bit more difficult to find. Maybe from a store which sells boat parts, they should have quite a selection of stainless and inox stuff. Good luck with the search!

And to everybody else following the thread, I once again thank you for your patience and support. You can also expect a few updates today...

Janne

Japhoto blog - Google+
Old 15th Aug 2006, 15:36   #118
Darkened
Hypermodder

Pieces of the puzzle...

Ok, got some of the pics done, so here we go.

As I mentioned earlier, the DVD burner arrived and also I got a new PSU for the project when I was at it. Today I saw something which will go great with the project. I read the article here on Bit-Tech about the new Razer mouse, Krait. After reading that, I thought that it'll go great with the Orange Monster

Here's some pics...

Even the box looks good...

...and so does the mouse. I thought actually that it'd be difficult to use a corded and small mouse after Logitech MX-700, but I really do find myself at home with it, a great and sensitive mouse. I can recommend it even though I've been using it only for about 15 minutes or so

Can you say premodded for my needs

Here's the new PSU, seems like a solid piece of equipment, sleeving is very nice and overall performance should be great.

And finally the Plextor PX-760SA DVD burner, both the PSU and the DVD burner are still to be modded, so we'll see what they'll look like in a few more days...

That's it for now, more to come, probably today. Keep tuned...

Janne

Japhoto blog - Google+

Last edited by Darkened; 21st Aug 2006 at 20:15.
Old 15th Aug 2006, 18:01   #119
Darkened
Hypermodder

Divider plate installed...

Ok, this is going to be the big one today

You remember that I was looking for a solution on what to use beneath the divider plate. Well I found this when I was shopping for tools actually.

I thought it looked cool, so let's work it in the mod. After a bit of measuring, cutting and fitting we had this...

...not that good of a picture, but couldn't get it to stay still

After cleaning the divider plate with denaturated alcohol I applied some soapy water to make installing the vinyl easier.

It went pretty smoothly and after a while the old divider plate looked a bit better After it was properly cleaned it was time to slap the acrylic divider plate in there.

The divider plate was attached with shortened M4 hexheads and some chrome dome nuts. I have to say that I'm fairly happy how it looks with the carbon fibre vinyl. Hopefully you do too

I think I'll do one more update today, so next up: Carbon fibre MB plate...

Japhoto blog - Google+

Last edited by Darkened; 21st Aug 2006 at 20:20.
Old 15th Aug 2006, 18:08   #120
Darkened
Hypermodder

Carbon fibre MB plate...

Ok, so with the divider plate I brought one material more to this thing, carbon fibre vinyl. I thought it'd look cool if the MB tray/plate would look like it was done from carbon fibre, so this is what I did:

This was pretty straightforward thing to do, cut and paste so to speak

It should look pretty good once the motherboard is installed.

That's it for tonight, more to come probably tomorrow...

Janne

Japhoto blog - Google+

Last edited by Darkened; 21st Aug 2006 at 20:05.

Tags
case mod

View Mode