1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

England smoke ban to start 1 July

Discussion in 'Serious' started by acron^, 1 Dec 2006.

1. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6196910.stm

It's about time. But can some one please explain why it costs £50m to say "Right, smoking in public places is illegal."

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

It will save lives, put the average age of death up. More older people unable to generate money and not able to live off the pitiful state pension. Seriously drop the amount of money going into the NHS but put a much bigger strain on it. yay

3. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

what i don't understand is, how did it take so long to put this ban in place! and why is wales set to recieve this God-send first?

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Bureaucracy tbh, too many arguments and management in England which is why things take so long to implement. £50m I think came about due to setting up a workforce who will implment a ban, creating the law and asking for public opinion. The other £25 probably went on lavish parties and countless limo trips to next door.

Yay, finally my clothes will not stink every time I go to the pub or clubbing. However, from what I hear, smoking reduces BO levels in a person so banning smoking will increase the number of smelly pubs hence demand for pubs will reduce - well thats what I learnt in Economics anyway :p

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Is there any evidence that these bans / onsticles actually cause people to stop smoking? Maybe there is, but I haven't seen it as yet.

Seems like 50 Million could be a good start on making access to quitting assistance universally available.

6. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

This is a good thing, but I stopped going to pubs as much when I realised they were charging me £1.50 for half a glass of poorly mixed coke.

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I still goto pubs, but only ones where I know people are gonna to ramp me personally on drink prices.

I welcome the Ban, but I know that a lot of people aren't welcoming it..

8. Matkubicki

Matkubicki What's a Dremel?

Although the £50m could, i'm sure, have been better spent somewhere or other we do already have universal and free access to quiting assistance through the NHS.

9. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Oh well smokers are the biggest bunch of selfish whiners on the planet so I'm not particularly concerned that they feel put out. After all I've had to put up with coughing for days, irritated eyes, stinking body/clothes every time I went to a pub/bar over the past 8 years :grr:

10. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

dude thats nothing, go to jilly's rockworld in manchester, its 2.50 for a can of coke =S i always just order pints because vodka cokes and rum cokes come to like 6 quid =S

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

pfft. nothing. can of red bull in a bar in greece: €15.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

A sad day for any free capitalism based society.

13. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

it is not a sad day at all. It is well over due, smoking should be illegal full stop.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

So should alcohol, sugar, and all fatty foods, by that logic. Not to mention cars.

15. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Sugar and fatty foods don't have a negative effect on those surrounding the user, and alcohol usually doesn't. Passive smoking has been proven to cause harm so why should we allow people to knowingly inflict it on others just because they have an addiction?

Let them all smoke outside and to hell with the lot of them.

16. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Even though I absolutely hate smoke when I (very rarely) go out, I do disagree with this ban, especially when it comes to private members clubs - how the hell can smoking be banned in such places?! :confused:

17. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

fatty foods and sugar are good for you in moderation but not smoke, i cant wait for the ban to start as i am assmatic. (if that's how you spell it.)

18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

QFT

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

As a society we trade our vices. I accept that I may get run over by people who drink heavily, but do I lobby for a ban? No, I just accept that in life sometimes you draw the short straw. But what do smokers get in return now? Drinking, this thing that causes so much violence in our streets and hospitals, and ends many lives every year because of drink driving, why should it be allowed to stay when smoking which causes arguabley lesser damage to the people who don't partake is banned? Why should cars still be allowed? They pump out far more smoke afterall, and cause far more deaths.

As a capitalism, we should understand that when it comes to businesses(and this is very much about businesses) the people get what there is the most desire for. A law should not be used to enforce something like this, because captialistic forces will take care of it very quickly if indeed there is the strength of desire behind this as some government ministers seem to think. In other words, if people really want non-smoking bars and resteraunts, they'll exist.

Smoking bans are poorly thought out, populist measures, designed to further impinge upon one part of society that already greatly overpays for any (small) damage it does to the country.

And as I always point out in these threads, I am a non-smoker.

20. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Well put it like this: Smoke has absolutely no benifit to anyone, smoker or not. It only makes them feel better because they effectively have a drug addiction.

Sugar is required by the body and so is smoke. Whilst booze isn't, in reasonable quantities it does no damage to the body. In any quantity smoke is bad for you. Me drinking a pint isn't going to kill you any quicker, me smoking may do.

It is that "may do" part that is completely unacceptable. Personally I think smoking should be banned EVERYWHERE, ie, no smoking outside at all, and especially no designated smoking area's. The building next door has it all sheltered with electric heaters, WTF?!?! If you want a smoke it shouldn't be bloody comfortable for you outside.