bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Jan 2008, 09:31   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Alienware widescreen monitors go curvy

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/01...ors_go_curvy/1

How about a seamless super-widescreen curvy gaming monitor with a .02ms response time from Alienware? Yes, please.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 09:32   #2
will.
A motorbike of jealousy!

will. has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwill. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it a curve, or just 4 screens with no edges?

Check out my Last.FM & iToggle & Nav-o-Matic jQuery plugins.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 09:33   #3
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
It's curved. Look at the photo
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 09:43   #4
Angleus
Hypermodder

Angleus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its cool, but I find it very wierd looking, and the resolutions not that great either, why not go for the equivalent of two 20" rather than 2 19"?
Angleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 09:46   #5
_DTM2000_
Senior Super Douche

_DTM2000_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Mmmmm, very nice. Lets hope the price isn't too high and lots of people buy it. This is just the type of thing I'd like to see developed further and eventually becoming widespread. No pun intended
_DTM2000_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 09:58   #6
Jordan Wise
Baby called to see the boss...

Jordan Wise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
3840x1200 would be a dream come true, i don't think 900 is enough vertical resolution to be honest, beats the triple head 2 go though

Steam ID:jordanwise
Jordan Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 10:00   #7
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
its just 4 screens that have been curved
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 10:06   #8
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Well, 4 screens bolted together into a single, nearly seemless construct, that display crazy widescreen resolutions and actually gives you peripheral vision in games.

Personally, I think that's wicked, and as I play with 1440x900 anyway, the relatively low res doesn't bother me at all.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 10:07   #9
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
0.02ms is just taking the millisecond myth too far. I really don't like how companies try to turn something like response time into a number that says how good the screen is.

TBH they would have been better off pioneering a OLED screen in co-operation with someone, they could have made that an entire panel instead of four stuck together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 10:15   #10
Darkedge
Supermodder

Darkedge has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
isn't high enough - 900 pixels high? thats rubbish.
Darkedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 11:04   #11
Major

I thought we were suppose to be going "smaller" in fatness, now this huge peice of crap is going to be released, heh.
Old 8th Jan 2008, 11:15   #12
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles View Post
0.02ms is just taking the millisecond myth too far. I really don't like how companies try to turn something like response time into a number that says how good the screen is.

TBH they would have been better off pioneering a OLED screen in co-operation with someone, they could have made that an entire panel instead of four stuck together.
i agree with Veles....
Old 8th Jan 2008, 11:45   #13
mmorgue
Supermodder

mmorgue has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks good. Now, if they could incorp multi touch....
mmorgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 11:55   #14
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
the human eye cannot differentiate things between 7ms and below (or something like that i can't remember the number), why not just make it LCD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 11:59   #15
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Sniper View Post
the human eye cannot differentiate things between 7ms and below (or something like that i can't remember the number), why not just make it LCD?
The response time is for ghosting, i got ghosting on my 5ms Samsung when i had it...
Old 8th Jan 2008, 12:07   #16
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
So we could see this for an extreme extortionate price from Alienware, and a not so extortionate price from Dell

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 12:13   #17
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
The response time is for ghosting, i got ghosting on my 5ms Samsung when i had it...
Yet I get no ghosting at all on my 8ms Samsung. That's the problem with it, it's not really a measure of whether you will get ghosting or not. A 16ms screen should theoretically get no ghosting since the signal is 60Hz, good quality 16ms screens like Dells don't get ghosting, but you can get 4ms screens that get ghosting because it just has a poor quality panel. I think there's more to ghosting than just the response time of the panel.

The main reason I said they should have made it OLED is because OLEDs are better than LCDs, better contrast ratio, better colours. They can also don't mind being curved, LCDs don't like it, that's why this is made up of four panels. This is going to be an enthusiast product, you may as well go the whole hog. Only problem is OLED is a relatively new technology, but Alienware could have pioneered it in tandem with another manufacturer.

OLED has been around for years now, I know some phones have been using it for a long time now, it's a technology that can produce very thin screens, relatively cheaply, that are comparable in quality to a CRT. LCDs are a pretty awful technology really, the only good thing about them was they were a hell of a lot smaller than a CRT, they are a stop gap that has lasted too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.

Last edited by Veles; 8th Jan 2008 at 12:25.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 12:44   #18
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I say, make modular screens like this. maybe even have verticle modularity for those who dont like the small resolution, but then, you'll need something that can handle the resolution (graphics card and connection wise)
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 12:54   #19
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles View Post
OLED has been around for years now, I know some phones have been using it for a long time now, it's a technology that can produce very thin screens, relatively cheaply, that are comparable in quality to a CRT. LCDs are a pretty awful technology really, the only good thing about them was they were a hell of a lot smaller than a CRT, they are a stop gap that has lasted too long.
If that's the case, why are the prices for OLED TV's stupidly high?
Old 8th Jan 2008, 13:11   #20
Whalemeister
is so hot right now!

Whalemeister has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhalemeister has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Putting all the technical stuff aside, this is awesome!!!

The concept of a curved monitor is something I've always wanted to really enhance the feeling of immersion by making you use you peripheral vision or even need to turn your head to see what's going on at the edges of the screen.

I do agree that it doesn't really look tall enough for my liking and you know that Alienware (aka Dell) will make sure it isn't cheap!

Awesome concept, I know it's not new but this might actually be the first one that I could afford, if I didn't eat for a year, or heat the house, or make the mortgage payments...