bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 26th Sep 2008, 02:46   #1
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Watercooling a Jetway C7??? -Finished and tested-

This will be a quick little log. Most of you know I've been teasing JHanlon about watercooling one of his Via powered systems. Recently, he he said, "YOU do it!"
-That's right. All my prodding backfired, and I'm forced to figure out how to do it for him.

-I got this little care package from him recently. I've known some Colorado-folk, so...

-On go the safety goggles.

-BOOM!
Well, that was a good idea. The box was literally stuffed.

-Inside was 2 Via POS boards, a slimline optical, PCI risers, a usb card reader, a usb extension...

-a 1 gig micro card and an antique laptop HD...

-2 mini ITX psu's...

-Payment?

-and a factory sealed Jetway 1Ghz with a gig of ram.

-The plan is to replace the heatsinks, (even the passive northbridge one,) and make waterblocks for this. When I get a working result, I will ship the blocks to John.
-Yeah...crazy.

I got the board running and figured out that the system is running at about 1 degree above room temperature. It's going to be hard to top that.

-First off, I popped off the northbridge block. I'm in luck. The 2 chips are the same height. The memory slot riser worked as a nice leverage point for a screwdriver.

-Oh, d*mn! That's tiny! The main chip has potential to rock. (John, You will need to keep the little washers under the heatsink.)

-I knocked out the back bracket with a mechanical pencil, and used it as a cutting guide.

-The old fan for anyone who cares...

-I got the blanks cut, then hurricane Ike hit. I was forced to hand turn the drill press by flashlight.

-This is the first part of the CPU block. It's two layers of clear plexi glued together with the bonding surfaces stained with purple marker. I will be adding a third layer for the gasket area later.

-I needed a way to tap the holes perfectly straight. Everyone has a cheap socket extension that snapped in half on them. I just found a use for it. The 12 point 1/2" socket is a perfect fit for the tap.

-The whole rig fits nicely in the drill press. Please forgive the blurry pics. -no power, etc...

-The test fit with a Danger Den self-sealing barb.

-The parts from McMaster showed up. I'm using 1/8" copper, and I'm going to try to make some O-ring seals.

-The power came back on last night, so I got a little milling done. I made a channel to get flow to the little hole in the middle of the O-ring.

...And that's where I'm at. I'm going to go into a lot of details because this is doubling as an installation manual.
Wish me luck!

Last edited by Cheapskate; 19th Oct 2008 at 07:15.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2008, 03:03   #2
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What kind of a modder turns a drill press by hand with only a flashlight?
A Bit-Tech.net modder!

No electricity for what 12-13 days? Props from Here!

Above and beyond.

John
Old 26th Sep 2008, 03:11   #3
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.

It was more out of boredom, honestly. You can only spend so long eating.
Old 26th Sep 2008, 05:14   #4
LooZypher
Huh!? What!?

LooZypher has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Heh
Very nice, very nice indeed.
Old 26th Sep 2008, 05:24   #5
Langer
Jesse Lang

Langer has yet to learn the way of the DremelLanger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
LOL, the flashlight hand tuning bit made me laugh...BRAVO mate.
Old 26th Sep 2008, 05:53   #6
Darkraven
Multimodder

Darkraven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Like the box explosion. Good sense of humor.
Darkraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2008, 06:00   #7
Neji
Multimodder

Neji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Super stuff. This is gonna be good.
Neji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2008, 11:33   #8
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
full blown hurricane outside, and the only thing he can think of is a way to mod! LEGEND!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2008, 11:40   #9
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
You can only spend so long eating.
You, sir, lie!

Next you'll be saying you can only spend so long drinking.

On topic: You're banana's. Looks pretty, though.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2008, 11:57   #10
HeXeN
Straight from Hell

HeXeN has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm keeping my fingers crossed Cheapskate for this project :> so it's equal to keeping my eye on it and also keeping my rig in the cardBox
HeXeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2008, 12:20   #11
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i think this system needs to be a phase changer, watercooling isn't enough for that beast! lol!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2008, 16:10   #12
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Thanks everyone.
@ Burnout - I saved the modding for after the storm. I slept through the actual hurricane. It seemed real weak compared to Alicia, which was like someone was sprayinging the house with a fire hose.
I will save phase change for a pico board.
@ Liratheal - Drinking seemed to be everyone else's only pastime. Someone ran over our garbage can. Ice and cheap beer was the only thing the stores were stocking at first.
Old 26th Sep 2008, 20:26   #13
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Block LOOKS small in the vise. What size barbs are those?
John
Old 27th Sep 2008, 04:36   #14
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Hand turning a drill press by flashlight. Thats passion in action!
Old 27th Sep 2008, 04:49   #15
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

I keep getting this visual of Cheaps with a flashlight in the mouth turning the drill press with both hands and mumbling bad words about weather and people from Colorado.
John
Old 27th Sep 2008, 06:17   #16
KayinBlack
I Endure

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
Damn. Got me beat.

Course, with no Dremel...

Well, I'll just have to post these blocks when I finish them...

Quit chopping up the locals to make tools.-Cheapskate
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2008, 07:20   #17
Spillers_909
What's a Dremel?

Spillers_909 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anyone who turns the drill by hand because the power went out wins my vote for being a true modder.
Spillers_909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2008, 10:43   #18
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is a really cool idea. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2008, 12:20   #19
DaveVader
Fast Action Response Team

DaveVader can run CrysisDaveVader can run CrysisDaveVader can run CrysisDaveVader can run CrysisDaveVader can run CrysisDaveVader can run CrysisDaveVader can run CrysisDaveVader can run CrysisDaveVader can run CrysisDaveVader can run Crysis
haha, top notch mod! Real commitment and a good sense of humour (by all).
Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Origin name: Schizomida
DaveVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2008, 16:56   #20
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Thanks everyone.
@John - That's a 3/8" barb. This block is just a hair under two inches. I still have to cut the excess material off.
- I don't hold tools in my mouth!! The flashlight has been behind a few toilets, and I bet the other tools taste terrible. I only needed the flashlight to line up the bit, or test fit the tap progress. A more accurate image would be me stopping the turning, grabbing my flashlight, and saying, "OK, what did I just do?"
@Kayinblack - Let me be the test monkey. Later you can do it right.

Tags
scratch build

View Mode