Gaming Dead Space

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/10/21/dead-space/1

In space nobody can hear you scream, but that isn't going to stop you screaming when Dead Space starts turns on the chills and thrills. Check out our Dead Space review to see if the combo of icky aliens and jaw-dropping graphics can win us over.

:thumb:

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

It does look pretty cool I have been having a look at this for a while now. I wanna get the demo before I make a commitment though.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar What's a Dremel?

Nice review Joe. I've been looking forward to this one for a while now. I was one of the few that actually enjoyed Doom 3 despite it's repititive play. Not played a decent scary game for a while now.

I am concerned about the controls though, I imagine I could use my 360 pad on this - is it supported?

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Yeah, the Xbox 360 controller is natively supported. I've just been fiddling with it and it's certainly a lot smoother than mouse and keyboard.

5. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Dam this game looks good and someone already metioned what I was thinking (360 controller).

How did a game like this stay under my radar, I've been totally focused on three games for a while now, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 and Left 4 Dead and they're all out this month, I'm gonna have to hit my credit card this month I think ;)

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Damn good review that, Joe. I'm surprised by the lack of any comparison to other shooters, though.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2008
  7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm actually trying to avoid doing that so much now. My thinking is that each game should be viewed on its own merits, not the merits it has in comparison to others, as that is a better way to focus on innovation in the industry. Otherwise I'll just compare every game like this to Gears of War and Resident Evil 4.

8. Hg

Hg The game known as life

problem i have is do i get it on the xbox360 or PC?
    With native xbox360 controller may get it on PC, but then again its nice to kick back and relax in front of the tv with a game like this :S

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Good point on the comparisons - I guess it's what I'm conditioned to these days - "it's a bit of x, but with a twist, although not dissimilar to z, 7/10 tbh".

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2008
  10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Great review.
    I've been following DS around for the last week or so, now, and your review falls in line with many others (even though the others iv'e read were X360 ones).
    Once it hits our shores (which should be somewhere next week or the week after, according to the SA release), i'm gonna pick this one up for my 360...

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I didn't realise this was an EA game, no mention of DRM in the review - I suppose it's too much to hope that EA have realised the horror (see what I did there ;)) of DRM and dropped it?

The comics that were available over Xbox Live were quite interesting (although I've only got around to watching the first one so far).
    I may pick this up closer to Christmas.

12. quack

quack Minimodder

The character's name is Isaac btw, not Issac.

13. crozon

crozon What's a Dremel?

cool pre ordered, gonna play this with a controller on my pc connected to the TV

14. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Why in every screenshot but the last is the guy standing on the left of the screen?

15. Hg

crozon, if you have an xbox360 just use that, as the PC wont be able to output any higher then the native res of your tv ie 720p or 1080p.
    If you havent an xbox then not to worry.
    Theres sooo many good games to try and play over the winter, fable 2, deadspace, Gears of War 2, Spore, fallout 3 and more \o/

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Don't forget Farcry 2.

17. Hg

damn it missed that, and COD5 and Red Alert 3, oh well...

LeMaltor the reason the char is on the left hand side on the screenshots is due to the fact the game plays from an over the shoulder view like gears of war and resident evil 4

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    No such luck. The game is DRMed. 5 Limited activations:
    http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?messageID=4354697&#4354697

Considering that all reviews out there say it has lousy controls in PC, its an easy no-buy.

19. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I guess I won't buy it too then :(

20. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

DAMN, too many games out, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Dead Space is looking better then i expected, GTA 4 next month, where do I get the time?