1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Nvidia Display driver stopped respnding and had recovered

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DeckerdBR, 2 Mar 2012.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Hi all,

I am repeatedly getting the following error:

'Display driver stopped responding and had recovered
    Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver Version 282.62 stopped responding and has successfully recovered'

It commonly happen on the windows desktop, in which case the screen goes blank for a few seconds, the monitor into standby and then when it recovers, the screen comes back on with the above message in the task bar.

It also happens often in games, where it manifests as an APP crash, with any game hanging, the screen goes black then when it comes back, the game is replaced by the app crash message.

As my over clock is broken (and scan haven't even replied in over 2 week....) I am not using the OC profile.

I have removed and re-installed nvidia drivers with a "clean install", have removed and updated all Mainboard drivers available from the gigabyte website. Performed a windows update to get all critical updates, reliability updates, compatibility updates etc. I have removed and re-installed the network drivers, and the realtek audio drivers.
    I have also since replaced my graphics card, a GTX460 which had a similar error 'Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and was recovered' and the other error above but was deemed as faulty by the e-tailer, hence me replacing it with a 560ti.

I have also re-installed windows 7 from scratch and installed all new drivers from scratch and it still does it.
    I notice that when I alt tab from any game, I often get a windows message about the Aero interface struggling to perform and do I want to disable it when using this application.

Have I just been un-lucky and have another faulty GPU or is this more likely a motherboard or software issue? Any assistance would be much appreciated

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Have you tried running the GPU at stock settings rather the OC TOP settings? I get this error when GPU overclocks are unstable. Have you got another PC to try it in?

3. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

With two different graphics cards showing similar problems in your system, they may not be the cause. Have you tried your card in a different mainboard?

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I started getting this problem frequently when my 8800GTX was dying.

5. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I have suddenly started getting this exact same issue. it might just be a coincidence, but this started occuring after I decided to play BF3 for first time in months and had to download a large update.

This issue is extremely frustrating, I have tried updating GPU to latest driver, and it seems to be even worse, system restore did not work either.
    I have tried all sorts of settings in nvidia control panel and also disabling a High Definition Audio Controller (in device manager) with the same hardware id as my gpu. Nothing seems to be working.

I cant even uninstall the nvidia drivers completely and do a clean install, becuase as soon as i start the uninstall, the screen goes black and pc has crashed.

I've also tried installing the 295.51 beta driver that I read on another forum seems to actually work without these issues, it does seem to be better, but trying to play any games either crashes my PC or the game crashes

Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited: 4 Mar 2012
  6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Go in device manager, right click gpu, choose uninstall hardware, check delete driver software. If you have to, do it in vga safe mode (F8 option on boot).
    Then try a fresh install.

7. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

thanks a lot for that.
    I tried to uninstall in normal windows, but it blacked out again, i decided to leave it for couple minutes, then hard rebooted into safe mode, it seemed to have uninstalled and while in safe mode it automatically downloaded some old drivers that worked, and its all working fine now.
    I didnt want it to automatically install any drivers, rather install new drivers i had downloaded, but its working, so i'm gonna leave it, as its given me enough stress tonight.

Maybe tomorrow I will try again and figure out how to stop it auto installing drivers after i have uninstalled them.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2012
  8. IvanIvanovich

It should have only installed the generic vga driver in safe mode, which is normal as it needs something to have a functional display. That should not cause any conflict, and you will get full functionality again once you install the nvidia package. If it's downloading and installing an outdated nvidia whql driver from updates instead...
    start typing 'change device installation settings' to access the relevant control panel, you can ignore the first question, the second question is what you're looking for. Choose NEVER download drivers from Windows Update.

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I think down clocking it would count as messing with it an invalidate the warranty, a bit of a concern 2 months into a 3 year warranty for a new £190 card. Unless there is some default thing you can do that wont mess with the warranty?

I would love to try that but I don’t know anyone who could help me test it in that way and I have no spare Mainboards.

This card was a replacement to a GTX460 which also did the same thing. The retailer/etailer tested it and agreed it was faulty so I assume they would have performed a through test. Can’t tell if I am just unlucky or they were sloppy with their testing and the problem lies somewhere else.

This problem is annoying as hell and hard to consistently reproduce outside of that fact it can happen frequently. I played Anno 2070 for 3 hours no problem. The next day I am browsing the web in Firefox and BAM, driver reset. Later I am playing Rock of Ages and BAM, APP Crash. Other times I am doing nothing and BAM! Sometimes I play and get no issues other times it does it continuously.

10. IvanIvanovich

I can't remember the last time I had an actual crash / BSOD caused by GPU driver. I do get the driver reset on rare occasion in a couple games, but that has been awhile as well. I much prefer a driver reset, it's they way it should be working.
    If you're getting the bulk of them while using Firefox, I suggest to upgrade. I haven't had a single reset while using Firefox since I started using the UX 13a1 branch. It's got some real nice new features to boot.

Downclocking won't invalidate your warranty. The card does downclock itself already, all you'd be doing is reducing its max 3D clocks to see if it helps with stability. This really should be the next step if you continue to have issues since you have no spare hardware. Also if you have another 8/16x pcie-e slot on your motherboard it wouldn't hurt to give that a go as well if you have not.

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ok, I installed chrome and have started to use it to see if it makes a difference. I think it's not causative, Firefox has some software issues I think it it has started to perform very poorly on any webpages. I also down clocked to the GPU default specs, made no difference still getting the app crashes. Today, I was unable to progress in mass effect 3 as I was getting a repeat app crash in the exact same spot every time I tried it. I have experienced this before with other games, even rebooting does not seem to solve it.

The suggestion to use another 8/16 PCI E slot, my motherboard does have a second slot but the below link says to run the GPU out of the top slot? I assume that's just best practice and I can still test it in the lower slot?

At this stage I am willing to try anything. Although I might just ask the retailers to replace the lot if this goes on much longer :/

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3759#sp

Edit: I just put the GPU in the other slot to test it.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2012
  12. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

Let us know if it works, I have the same issue but with Minecraft.

13. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

This issue is really driving me crazy. Spent ages today trying to uninstall and reinstall drivers, had to use policies to stop bloody windows 7 auto installing, nothing worked.

Tried registry edits with tdrdelay and such, but that made it even worse.

I also reset defaults on card using MSI afterburner, I installed this when I built machine with intention of overclocking but I never did, but apparently it somehow was. Anyway that did not help either.

I have just opened my PC up and done a second more 'thorough' clean, and also definitely made sure the card is firmly in its slot. Signs of desperation really.

I cant help but think this all came about from updating origin, bf3, and driver. It was all completely fine until after I did that. I tried system restore but nothing. I am thinking uninstalling these programs but that would be pointless wouldnt it?

Btw I also have a GTX 460 card.

14. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

Right it seems my over-aggressive 2nd cleaning with the compressed gas and pushing of the GPU might have worked, have not had a single driver failure or crash today. Fingers crossed it will stay that way.

I guess there must have been something irritating the card or board that the gas or the wiggling of the card/cables removed.

15. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

I know that's not the problem for me, but maybe I'll try my other slot for the gfx card.

16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

well since i made the change on friday i have not had a single app crash or driver stop error. you reckon that is a good indication that i have a dodgy pci-slot?

17. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

Not necessarily. I did a bit of testing, and I have no crashes with the Release 275 drivers (used them over 6 months). It's only from Release 280 onwards that the crashes (infrequently) occur. It could still be a bug with the driver.

18. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

I think Nvidia doesn't know what's causing this problem and they may not fix as it happens to some but not others, I've read some forums going back to 2007 with the same issues.

19. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

well nearly a week now and not a single repeat since i moved it to the x8 slot.

20. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

Good to see you managed to sort this out! Hopefully no more issues for you ;)