1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Case Mod: ..::L A N B O Y - A P O C A L Y P S E::.. VIDEO! 2.5 days at Mnpctech

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 10 Apr 2012.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

[​IMG]

Over Kyle's 2 day visit we transformed Antec's Lanboy Air into something that resembles make shift portable Nuclear Fusion Generator in Post-Apocalyptic landscape..

Here is the video of Kyle's 2.5 day and our project

[​IMG]
    Our Lanboy mod makes no apologies for being Mean & Nasty looking.

[​IMG]
    The Gullwing style side panels were created with spring loaded hinges. The Lanboy was painted "Charcoal Grey" metallic with "distressed and weathered" highlights.

[​IMG]
    The XSPC Raystorm waterblock is kept cool with the massive 250mm cooling fan mounted on 8" x 9.25" wide Thermaltake radiator that was taken from their "SwordM" full tower. The fan behind the Stainless Steel reservoir is Enermax VEGAS Trio in Blue/Red/Green combo-LED with 11 switchable LED color modes.

[​IMG]
    Kyle created a custom switch box for the top with plastic wire loom covering the wires. The Green faucets created the illusion of plumbing for the toxic waste. The Lanboy chassis was flipped upside down with the NZXT 850 PSU relocated to the exterior. The watercool loop exits and re-enters the interior through in the top of the PC.

[​IMG]

Upgraded to Intel Core i7 970. The i7 is cooled with XSPC Raystorm CPU waterblock. The motherboard is EVGA's X-58 Classified with 12 GB of Corsair's DDR3 Dominator-GT and ASUS GTX 560 DirectCUII. Powered by NZXT's 850 Watt PSU with Win7 on Mushkin's 120 GB "Callisto" SSD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This log highlights photos from the PC project video I'm doing with "Mod Brothers Podcast" Host, Kyle Van Der Mewre (aka Kylevdm). ..."I don't care what we do, as long as we mod something" Kyle told me before arriving in Minneapolis. I recalled the disdain we shared for Antec's LANBOY Air when it was released. I proceeded to uncover the dusty sample I reviewed for Episode #5 of "Mod Men" ....One day before Kyle's arrival I stripped down the LANBOY and implemented ideas that Kyle could contribute during his 2.5 day visit. The only elements that remained of the LANBOY Air was it's frame and 2 side panels.

PC Designer, Engineer, & Modder "Cheapskate" contacted me 2 weeks prior to Kyle's visit with photos of a Stainless Steel Reservoir he was developing. The design looked very industrial, like a vacuum chamber. It ignited my imagination of a sci-fi theme for our project. Let's transform it into something that resembles a make shift portable Nuclear Fusion Generator in a Post-Apocalyptic landscape. Created from parts salvaged by an Engineer after a fictional WWIV. As we worked, the fictional story started to take life... "He worked as a Senior Engineer at Los Alamos National Laboratory in their Developmental Dept before it was demolished in 2010." ...... From this point on, the build took on it's own life...

[​IMG]

Unimpressed by Antec's Lanboy Air from Episode #5 of "Mod Men"

[​IMG]

The factory finish was sanded and scuffed up, before it was permanently turned upside down with the PSU relocated to the outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cable Management grommets were added to the ceiling.

[​IMG]

The side panels are suspended like Gull Wing doors with "Laurey" style Cabinet Hinges from WoodCraft, http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/20...ubbed-Bronze-No-Inset-Surface-Mount-Pair.aspx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

250mm cooling fan shroud I fabricated for the radiator from the SWORDM sent by Thermaltake for AMD build in 2006.

[​IMG]

The front intake grill is a combination of machined aluminum 120mm "Reactor" fan grill and 120mm Blow Hole kit.

[​IMG]

page link, http://www.mnpctech.com/blowholefan.html

[​IMG]

120mm Enermax VEGAS Trio in Blue/Red/Green combo-LED with 11 switchable LED color modes.
    Factory Product Page Link, http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_1&lv0=4&lv1=39&no=128

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we took time out to create c70 replacement windows here, http://www.mnpctech.com/Corsair_c70_vengeance_clear_window_replacement.html

This is the front of the Lanboy chassis with 20 gauge sheet metal I fastened on, for the intake fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The SWORDM radiator measures 8" x 9.25" wide with 3/8" barbs. The chassis was painted Charcoal Grey Metallic and Flat Black

[​IMG]

I fabricated a new bezel to accommodate the Stainless Reservoir. I combined the top panels from a Lancool K58 Dragon and Fractal-Design Arc Midi. The 5.25" Toggle switch plate is thick machined aluminum.

[​IMG]

The front intake is a combination of the 120mm "Reactor" aluminum fan grill and 120mm Blow Hole kit.

[​IMG]

After painting the bezel Charcoal Grey Metallic, I added Round version of Modders Mesh to the openings in the sides.

Update 4/12/12

The Stainless Steel Reservoir made by Cheapskate :rock: The core is made from Transparent Purple acrylic. He also made the clear acrylic clamps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fabricated the Bezel from Fractal-Design Arc Midi and Lancool Dragon K58 top panels

Update Page 2, 4/13/12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update Page 2, 4/13/12 by Cheapskate!!!!!

[​IMG]
    -I also went with a big enough diameter to accommodate 4 g1/4 ports. This stuff is great. I smashed a lot of stuff with this while laughing madly.
    I didn't photograph the cutting process. I will say I ruined some of the plastic bits on my chop saw. :wallbash:I really want my tile saw back!!!
    [​IMG]
    -I milled these out. The inside of the port cap friction-fits some plexi tube I had. You can see the channels for an O-ring in each cap.
    [​IMG]
    -I glued the scrap bit from the O-ring retainer on the tube and bored out a side port. This way the system can run with the top off. The version I drew up for production has fillport in the top instead. Negative loop pressure would have made it tough to remove.
    [​IMG]
    -My first clamp construction was a failure. The little drill bit was curving as it went through the polycarbonate top piece. I figure Bill will prefer to do these in aluminum. -No point in making a beefy reservoir with sissy clamps.
    [​IMG]
    -The second reason this failed was the difference in thickness between the 2 materials.
    [​IMG]
    -They functioned perfectly, though. I used them for mill clamping. Milling the retaining screw holes was easier than copper cutting, but I had to supply oil to the cut constantly.
    [​IMG]
    -I kinda screwed up the first cap. My drilling came out woogly. For the second I used this setup.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a closeup of the retaining setup. These socket cap screws act as pegs to keep the caps from popping off.

Update Page 3, 4/15/12

We gave the ASUS GTX 560 Ti's factory fans and shroud a "Steampunk" makeover.

[​IMG]

Kyle made the Copper rings while I modified the factory shroud.

[​IMG]

Kyle airbrushing aged and weathered effect on the "steampunk" inspired shroud.

[​IMG]

we transformed Antec's Lanboy Air into our vision of something that resembles make shift portable Nuclear Fusion Generator in Post-Apocalyptic landscape..

[​IMG]
    Our Lanboy mod makes no apologies for being Mean & Nasty looking.

[​IMG]
    The Gullwing style side panels were created with spring loaded hinges. The Lanboy was painted "Charcoal Grey" metallic with "distressed and weathered" highlights.

[​IMG]
    The XSPC Raystorm waterblock is kept cool with the massive 250mm cooling fan mounted on 8" x 9.25" wide Thermaltake radiator that was taken from their "SwordM" full tower. The fan behind the Stainless Steel reservoir is Enermax VEGAS Trio in Blue/Red/Green combo-LED with 11 switchable LED color modes.

[​IMG]
    Kyle created a custom switch box for the top with plastic wire loom covering the wires. The Green faucets created the illusion of plumbing for the toxic waste. The Lanboy chassis was flipped upside down with the NZXT 850 PSU relocated to the exterior. The watercool loop exits and re-enters the interior through in the top of the PC.

[​IMG]
    Intel Core i7 970, EVGA X-58 Classified, 12 GB Corsair DDR3, Dominator-GT, XSPC Raystorm CPU waterblock, Asus ASUS GTX 560, NZXT 850 Watt PSU, Mushkin 120 GB Calisto SSD​

Last edited: 29 Oct 2013
    Waynio likes this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

In before Kyle!:lol:
    Did you remove the hamster wheel?

3. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

bitchin... can't wait for more

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

OOf Dah!

5. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Yeah.... some of the most fun I have had modding... Although I did not believe Bill was going to make me work on a LANBOY after he promised I could hit it with a sledge hammer! It does look sweet though, even for a LANBOY!

I was chilling in NYC - do I mention that I was in the apple store for a few hours? Your res was AWESOME Cheaps!

6. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

subbed and will be glued to this. Also Bill how come you haven't made anymore of your informative videos ive been waiting for ages

7. Foregasm

Foregasm What's a Dremel?

I second this.
    Great looking bezel, btw.

8. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

This should be interesting.

9. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

subbd :D!!

whaha u are finally modding the lanboy he! i loved the episode 5 :D! i realy hate the case tbh! its so uglehh :$

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You should probably keep quiet about the Apple thing. Glad you liked the res. It took less work to make than anything I did before, but cost a buttload more. -Like, twice the buttload of buttloads I've spent in the past.
    buttload.

11. Kylevdm

It definitely has the munky buttload of awesomeness stamp on it!

12. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Awesome start Bill, cant wait to see more.

13. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Bill is on modding spree again. ;)

14. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

this one is looking good...

15. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Subbed. Really cool theme, and really ambitious taking on such an ugly case.

16. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Woot! Been waiting to see the worklog on the Kyle trip project. ;)

17. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Looking good,another Awesome build in the making :cooldude:

18. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Thanks for tuning in and commenting everybody :D I hope this video will make up for the lack of videos made over past months. Lots of great footage of this project including Kyle's visit, including a cabaret of characters I know and ventures outside of the workshop.

[​IMG]

250mm is installed on the radiator. Fitting the new bezel and it's fastener screws. This will be painted Charcoal Grey Metallic, to match the chassis.

[​IMG]

Road Warrior action figure discovered while touring Peacock Groove workshop in my warehouse on Thursday night. It won't be implemented in the project, but reminded of us of a grungy "Post-Apocalyptic" atmosphere from the movie, and inspired an idea or two for the build on following day.

[​IMG]

Kyle is implementing UV Green Transparent acrylic windows...

[​IMG]

Flipped MB tray with EVGA X58 and i7 920, cooled by XSPC Raystorm Waterblock.. (we'll accept an upgrade donation @ Intel)

Last edited: 12 Apr 2012
    Asouter likes this.
  19. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

that is a great industrial look, very vrey good work, cant wait for your next updates...

20. Kylevdm

Oh, no! The first pictures of me are starting to go up... Oh well I am sure I will survive. This project was loads of fun to work on, even though it was a lanboy blah!

[​IMG]
    The ray storm on the EVGA X58

jhanlon303 and Waynio like this.