bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 20th Aug 2012, 22:24   #1
Fuganater
Supermodder

Fuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run Crysis
Project: Steampunk'd TJ11 DONE!!! October 2012 MOTM Winner!!!

Time for a good Steampunk mod. And what better case to use than the awesome Silverstone TJ11!

Big shutout to my sponsors!!

Performance-PCs is providing me with the BP mod kits, 240 and 360 rads and the Silverstone slim DVD bay.

EKWB is providing me with a EK-Multioption 250 Res and 90 degree fittings.

Hardware
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
GPU: Unknown
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator 1333
SSD: Curcial M4 128 GB
PSU: Silverstone Strider 1200W
Fan Controller: Lamptron FC10

Cooling
XSPC EX480
EK-CoolStream 360
Another 360 rad
EK-Multioption 150 or 250
EK-RAM Dominator
EK-MOSFET Sabertooth P67
EK-Supreme LTX
2x XSPC 120mm radiator stand

Misc
Sleeving: MDPC-X
Yellow SMD LED Strips
Yellow LED bulbs
Sophisticated Finishes Rust Effect Kit
Old Vacuum Tubes

Lets start working! The first thing I did was do some testing with LEDs in the Vacuum tubes. Here is what they look like with an Orange LED in them. Orange is not the final color, yellow is but at the time I didn't have the Yellow LEDs in yet.

Next up was to see how the rust effect paint would workout. First lets try some fan grills.

The Paint

The Grills

Primer and Iron paint

Rust Paint

Since that test was successful I thought I should try an actual piece of the case. The dual PSU bracket seemed like a good test subject.

And the result

I am very confident in the results so I started doing more, but that's in the next update. Stay tuned by subscribing so you can see all the updates!

Cheers till then,

Fuga

Last edited by Fuganater; 18th Dec 2012 at 02:29.
Fuganater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2012, 23:22   #2
Darkwisdom
Level 99 Retro Nerd

Darkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This rust effect looks awesome. I love these steampunk builds and those vacuum tubes look great too. Lets hope we see some creative lighting ideas.
Old 21st Aug 2012, 08:21   #3
Fuganater
Supermodder

Fuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwisdom View Post
This rust effect looks awesome. I love these steampunk builds and those vacuum tubes look great too. Lets hope we see some creative lighting ideas.
Thanks. I hope the rest turns out just as good.
Old 21st Aug 2012, 08:51   #4
crashy1984
What's a Dremel?

crashy1984 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
I am very confident in the results so I started doing more, but that's in the next update. Stay tuned by subscribing so you can see all the updates!
yes, i will. i was very happy and exciting when i read the headline for your Log. The TJ11 is the finest case in my opinion...
i will follow up, so i dont miss an update.... keep on working!
crashy1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2012, 09:47   #5
Vetalar
*learning english*

Vetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks good!!! keep it up!!!
for me rust is more about pos-ap/biohazard builds. for steampunk i see wood, copper, brass and patina
Vetalar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2012, 12:30   #6
Fuganater
Supermodder

The Case

Since testing is over its time to start on the case.

Its actually a good thing I'm modding this case because I got it used for pretty cheap. You would never get a good looking build out of this beatup case unless you paint/modify it. There are several screws missing, HDD bays missing and the front bezel was bent. I was able to fix the front bezel mostly and I ordered lots of new screws.

First thing to do is remove all of the buttons, connectors and cables.

Remove the mobo try and fans. I was going to not use the fans but I decided to make a midplate to hide them and that has cutouts for the fans. There will also be some Bitspower passthrough fittings for the tubing.

5.25" bays gone and mobo tray rails are out.

And here it is in pieces.

The first thing to do before you paint is get a nice coat of primer on the parts.

Next I started painting all the parts with the Iron base coat. This actually has iron particles in it which react with the Rust paint.

All the small bits.

And the large ones.

Next is the Rust paint. Its actually not paint. Its a chemical which looks more like blue water but you get the picture.

Just after 1 coat you can see it starting to work.

2-3 coats

5ish coats

And the first coat on the 5.25" bays

It starts the reaction only after maybe 5 minutes after being applied.

Lastly I'll leave you with some of my grill plans. I have a friend who does my laser cutting and he will do up a sick CAD drawing for me and I'll share it with all of you.

I'm going to install the 50mm fan on the motherboard so I need a grill to make it look nice. Also since I am keeping the internal 180mm fans I have to keep the side panel vents. I want to dress them up some otherwise they just look funny.

His will obviously look better than what I can draw :P

Cheers till next time,

Fuga
Old 21st Aug 2012, 14:29   #7
xSoMBrAx
Supermodder

xSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the DremelxSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Top rust effect!
Keep us posted and don't let this build "die"!

Follow me on Facebook!
xSoMBrAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2012, 14:34   #8
Luciel
Lamptron Europe

Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Lookgs good however this seems more post-apocalyptic than steampunk :S
Luciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2012, 16:22   #9
Baguette
Multimodder

Baguette has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Shocker on the looks this is....Very intruiged as to where you'll be taking this

/uselessInfos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
....Next is the Rust paint. Its actually not paint. Its a chemical which looks more like blue water but you get the picture....
That's interesting. That means that the solution is probably Copper Sulfate (Copper in sulphuric acid) diluted in water. Probably cheaper to directly buy copper sulfate crystals and add water :P Especially since a bag of 1kg of the crystals would set me back 13€ here in France, and make at least 50L of the stuff in high concentrations...

/end uselessInfos
Baguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 01:57   #10
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
This is not the typical case for doing a semi damaged look on & steampunk incoming also, keenly subbed.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 10:06   #11
Steve_of_Death
Minimodder

Steve_of_Death has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Definitely can't wait to see this finished
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 21:37   #12
CptGooch
What's a Dremel?

CptGooch has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciel View Post
As of right now I would have to agree. However this project is young and I will definitely be staying tuned.

The paint looks great.
CptGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 22:49   #13
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
I agree, the paint job is fantastic. I have to admit, looking at the fan grills I thought they were old and rusted and was wondering why you were using them. Well done!
Pfaffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 12:36   #14
Fuganater
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoMBrAx View Post
Top rust effect!
Keep us posted and don't let this build "die"!
Never! I should be able to finish this in just a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciel View Post
Steampunk is what you make of it. There is no set style for Steampunk and there are no "must haves".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguette View Post
Shocker on the looks this is....Very intruiged as to where you'll be taking this

/uselessInfos

That's interesting. That means that the solution is probably Copper Sulfate (Copper in sulphuric acid) diluted in water. Probably cheaper to directly buy copper sulfate crystals and add water :P Especially since a bag of 1kg of the crystals would set me back 13€ here in France, and make at least 50L of the stuff in high concentrations...

/end uselessInfos
Cheers for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
This is not the typical case for doing a semi damaged look on & steampunk incoming also, keenly subbed.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_of_Death View Post
Definitely can't wait to see this finished
Thanks! I hope I don't dissapoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGooch View Post
As of right now I would have to agree. However this project is young and I will definitely be staying tuned.

The paint looks great.
Thanks. I have a few ides how to spice things up. We will have to see how they turn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfaffen View Post
I agree, the paint job is fantastic. I have to admit, looking at the fan grills I thought they were old and rusted and was wondering why you were using them. Well done!
Haha!
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 14:15   #15
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Going to be a interesting mod.

I do like the Steampunk stuff but I am not sure if I will like it on a TJ11.

Sub'd to see how it turns out though and hope it looks amazing in the end.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 15:32   #16
Sarakon
The German

Sarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Cool start to a promising mod! Looking forward to what you have in store for us
Old 25th Aug 2012, 01:38   #17
dbradford32
Multimodder

dbradford32 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
BAD ASS! lol
Old 25th Aug 2012, 03:45   #18
alexvdl
Multimodder

alexvdl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks incredible Shane! I'll be keeping an eye on this one And ignore what Toby said, your sketches look great
alexvdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2012, 17:24   #19
Ripitup121
MMMMMMm watercooling....

Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Loving the rust effect, subbed. +rep

Ripitup121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2012, 22:02   #20
Fuganater
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
Going to be a interesting mod.

I do like the Steampunk stuff but I am not sure if I will like it on a TJ11.

Sub'd to see how it turns out though and hope it looks amazing in the end.
We shall see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarakon View Post
Cool start to a promising mod! Looking forward to what you have in store for us
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradford32 View Post
BAD ASS! lol
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvdl View Post
Looks incredible Shane! I'll be keeping an eye on this one And ignore what Toby said, your sketches look great
Hahaha thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripitup121 View Post
Loving the rust effect, subbed. +rep
Thanks!

View Mode