1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: UNKNOWN JOURNEY ** UPDATE (4th Feb) ** DVD fixed and button moved **

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by philb, 14 Oct 2004.

1. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

This project started about 2 months ago, but the ideas got vastly changed. So this is the start of my new project log!!

The idea is that case will be smooth and curvy, with a little individuality!!

This is my first real case mod, and so my first ' unknown journey'!

The skeleton
    [​IMG]

My new top
    [​IMG]

New position DVD drive and make shift support
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mould shape, so far. Stretched fleece ready for fibreglass resin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Updates soon

Comments and opinions please

Last edited: 4 Feb 2005
  2. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

im loving the position of the dvd rom, what made you decide to put it at that angle ?

and does it still only take one drive bay slot ?

3. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

that looks awesome. Very nice idea. Cant wait to see the rest!

4. Tr!nk

Tr!nk What's a Dremel?

I love the cd-drive set up! :thumb:

5. LunatiC

LunatiC What's a Dremel?

dude! thats awsome! i love it! :rock: :rock:

6. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

I'm diggin the fuzzy look on it!! :)

7. Atarax

Atarax What's a Dremel?

very original, im loving it so far. Im modding the same case myself, so im very curious to see what u do with the remaining drive bays. keep me posted. *subscribes* :dremel:

8. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

Update Part 2

UPDATE

Just finished the rear PSU fan intake surround. this now needs to have the fleece pre-mould made and the resinned.

The drive bay at the top has now been covered in resin. \this has set extremely hard due to two coats and drying under a very hot lamp. The bay is now ready to be sanded and fillered ready for painting.

[​IMG]

With the resin applyed and drying
    [​IMG]

Psu fan intake 92mm , maybe cahnging to 120mm fan? Comments?
    [​IMG]

Which mesh for my newly painted fan??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

COMMENTS PLS

UPDATE SOON

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

What you are doing looks awesome. :thumb: This will be a project to watch. What is the maximum angle a CD/DVD ROM will work at?

Can you shed some light on the fibreglass resin mod you are doing? What material did you use? I am looking at using a similar technique in manufacturing some speaker pods for my car but am concerned about structural integrity. Just how tough is that skin?

10. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Great to see some unusual skills and materials being used - definitely watching this one.

BTW:
    HDDs, CDs/DVDs, etc can be used at any angle - moving it while it's spinning can be more risky. (ever picked up a lappy while it's reading a CD?)

11. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

The method i am using is simply making a general skeleton with MDF, then stretching a porous material over the skeleton, and fixing under the base with glue, such as hot melt. The material i have used i fleece, this is because it has a little stretch in it, to get a smooth shape and also it soaks up alot of resin, to give the strusture stiffness. This the mould will be sanded covered in body filler and sanded. Then u can either apint it, which will require fine sanding, or if ur making speaker pods maybe cover them in some material, less sanding.

I have used this technique to build door pods in my car, and the finish and structure have been going well for 9 months now. The fibreglass makes a very good enclosure for the speakers!!

any more qusetions just ask.

12. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

The techniques i am using are not that widely used in pc modding, but for car installs. i was shown these techniques by a pro car entertainment installer, so there still to do with modding, just a littel bit of a different direction!!

:confused: :confused: WHICH MESH + DO U THINK THE FAN FOR THE PSU SHOULD BE 92mm or 120mm?? :confused: :confused:

Last edited: 15 Oct 2004
  13. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

cool ideas!!!! I'll be watching this one :thumb:

14. Exomoto

Exomoto What's a Dremel?

the top mesh looks much much better, the bottom isn't particularly nice

15. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

From where I sit, both of the meshes look like the same type of expanded metal mesh - but with different size holes. I like the bigger holes.

Fleece? I've never heard of it (apart from comming off of a sheep's back). I have seen a similar technique using t-shirt material (very thin) for the initial coat, then reinforcing by using chopped fibreglass strand on the back (impractical for my purpose). What you term fleece looks (to me) like a sheet form of dacron, similar to what is used as filler inside sub boxes etc. Am I close?

I like the direction you're heading with the rounded edges and putting things on different angles. This is one to follow.

/subscribe

16. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

where did you get your wire mesh from.

17. Daewood

Daewood What's a Dremel?

lookin good i might just have to build some custom enclosures for those 10 inch subs in my truck and might i ask where one would buy fiberglass resin and how to sand it? :confused:

18. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

The fleece material, is material that is used for tops, abit like sweatshirt material.

The mesh is from a car body shp, used to fill the holes in front bumpers etc.

The resin can also be purchased from car body shops, or hardware stores, also a small tube of hardener is needed.

The resi can be easily sanded y hand, or with a small file or orbital sander/dremel.

KEEP THE COMMENTS COMING :confused:

19. Nevex

Nevex What's a Dremel?

This one is gonan be a sick mod. I am adding to my watch list.

20. Daewood

Daewood What's a Dremel?

thanx for the reply that is a really cool mod you got goin on and keep the posts coming