1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Getting games to work with Vista

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by samkiller42, 24 Jan 2007.

1. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've just tried Dawn of War on 64bit Ultimate, plays great,
    I did have an issue updating it though - when I click on multiplayer and sign in I get a message saying there's an update available and when I click on accept it tells me the download is at 100% when it clearly hasn't had time to download anything.

edit: now installed Winter assault and Dark Crusade. same problem with both as far as updates go - although I've found a link on the official forums to manually download the patches.
    Curiously neither Dawn of War or Dark Crusade register in the Games tab while Winter Assault does :confused:

Last edited: 8 Feb 2007
  2. iggy

iggy Minimodder

agh. i cant get counterstrike to run on steam at all, loads to the menu, then drops out.

x1950pro, amd64 ultimate64 :/

3. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:hehe: :thumb: It's about time!

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Well, AOE2 works fine on Business here. No problemos at all and no compatibility alterations.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Roller Coaster Tycoon with its Loopy Landscapes/Added Attractions expansions work well :D Did not need to change anything to get it to work.

Sam

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Update....

I've had problems Alt-Tab-ing out of games like BF2 under Vista (which is a pain when you get a call through Skype during a game) - it took 1-2mins for the desktop to refresh and return control to me. I was also having to wait over a minute typically at the 'Verifying Client' stage. This is very common but no-one seems to know why.

I've got high-end kit so that couldn't be the problem... or could it? I've just doubled up on my RAM... I now have 4x1GB GeIL Ultra PC6400 RAM running
    @ Stock.

Things are flying now... I can Alt-Tab to my hearts content, and I seem to be [almost] first on a BF2 server every time.

2GB is no longer high-end spec on Vista. I reckon that 3GB is going to be considered the gamers norm on Vista and 4GB is increasingly common.

Just my £0.02...

7. samkiller42

I dont really want to buy new ram for my system, it will work out quite expensive :duh:

Sam

8. samkiller42

Two more games to add to the "these games work in vista"
    Halo Combat Evolved works well in vista, as does
    Sim City 4

Sam

9. Gunny

Gunny What's a Dremel?

Before I kill of XP and swap over could someone tell me if the following games work under Vista 64bit?

eve-online
    BF2
    BF2142
    Supreme Commander (well demo, got the main game on order)
    Need for Speed 3 + carbon

My Rig is a E6600, EVGA 680i M/B, 4Gb RAM, 8800GTX, Xfi fatal1y gamer sound card.

Does anyone know if the new "Games for Windows" ICON means that games must work on both 32 AND 64 bit to be aproved?

10. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I think most of those games have been given the thumbs up, but the software isn't your problem.

You have a 8800GTX which still isn't very well supported under Vista; ironic given that it is one of only two DX10 compliant cards.

There are Beta driver out (100.xx) but result with these vary.

11. samkiller42

BF2 was running ok on my new 64Bit Edition (yes, i have both 32 and 64 of Business)

And i have news of two more games
    GTA San Andreas worked ok when i tried it, nice and smooth :D and
    Soldires: Hero's of World War 2 worked using compatibility in Windows 98 Mode

Sam

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

NFS:Most Wanted works fine. Even works with the widescreen hack.

13. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

carbon crash's on films

Phil

14. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Hey, I can't get Generals: Zero Hour to work :(. I've updated it to 1.04, changed the generals.exe to compatibility mode and disabled those bits, but still to no avail. It loads the splash and then before it loads the program, just goes back to the desktop. In documents/command and conquer the releascreashinfo doesn't is blank. :(

15. samkiller42

hum, ive looked back in the Generals Zero Hour config options:
    [​IMG]

Does your look like that? If so, i dont see why it isnt working, there are no new patched that im awear off.
    Try it, and could you also post a picture of what your options are as well please if it doesnt work, thanks.

Sam

16. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Yea, here are my options:

[​IMG]

The only difference I can think of is that I don't have the first decade...

32 bit Vista Home Premium
    Asus P5w DH Deluxe
    e6300 @ 2.8
    2 x 1gb ram
    2 x 250gb T7K500 Hitachi HDD
    ATI x1950 pro graphics card

There is one thing, it does 'flash' black now. I might try a system reboot altogether and see if it likes that. I'm ok for the time being as dual booting with xp means it does work, but seeing as I'd like to migrate to Vista as my main OS...

17. samkiller42

Hum, im not to sure, have a go at playing around with the Program Compat, change the OS from Server, see if it loads up then, other wise im not sure what to say, its thrown me i have to say, and EA customer care is hopless as well :sigh:

Sam

18. dlgawlak

dlgawlak What's a Dremel?

C & C First Decade on Vista - issues

Hello,

I am running The First Decade on Vista and Red Alert 2, and Yuri will not run. Generals, Renegade, all work fine. On Red Alert 2 and Yuri, I get an error "FATAL" String Mananger can not initialize. I have tried changing the Compatibility settings with no luck. The other C and C programs run. My machine consists of the following

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    System Model: M2N-MX
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/21/06 17:29:43 Ver: 08.00.12
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 1534MB RAM
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 7300 GT
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I have sent EA support the same information and will let you know what happens.

19. samkiller42

Yes, i too have been having problems with C&C TFD, All but Generals and Zero hour work on my 64bit machine, which is odd. I messed about with RA2 and YR for around an hour this morning getting them to work.

Sam

20. dlgawlak

dlgawlak What's a Dremel?

EA Support - No help

EA support was no help. They say you are S. O. L.. But I did have something interesting that happened. I borrowed another C&C TFD and installed it on another rig I have which runs XP. I had the same error on Red Alert 2 - "Fatal" String Manager will not initialize". So I shut down everything to do with Norton 2006 and then tried to run it and it worked. Now I need to figure out if Vista, on this new rig, is doing somthing similar. :sigh:

Tags: