1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Forum Structure

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Jamie, 29 Jun 2007.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

2. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

fine, but why are they together, electronics has nothing to do with modding...

3. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

I haven't read the whole thread so excuse me if am repeating people. I have to say I find the forums harder work then they used to be it was easy to see when the forums that interest me had new posts or not but now I either have look under a more general forum or a very specific tag...that said and done I still like it here so I'm gonna stay but I preferred how it used to be.

4. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Thank you! That yellow (which is what it looked like here- sorta a light tan color) was getting a bit annoying, as all it did was mirror the bold/not bold new post indicator.

5. DougEdey

yea they do, most of the stuff in it was about making custom equipment for builds

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I do a lot of moving of threads between the two :eyebrow:; there's quite an overlap (eg, case lighting), though I'll agree Modding is more the artistic side, Electronics the technical.

One nice feature is the ability to click on any tag in the page and get "more like this". :thumb: That means having the filter box open by default isn't so important - I'd have default closed, given the CP option.

7. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I found a something that bugs me a bit. Seems like you changed the letter count for location by 1. before I had country and city lined up perfectly but now there is no space any more between the dots and Finland :wallbash: Why has that been done and can you change it back?

Thanks

8. RTT

RTT #parp

Sure, will fix this right now. :)

edit: 25 char limit bumped to 40 ;)

9. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

Is there any sort of legend for the thread coloring? (i.e. yellow threads = this)

10. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

yeh, its at the bottom of the board index pages

11. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

when i use the filters, i usually click on more than one filter for the entire sub-forum. so fonsr itance, i'll check out all the electronics w/ the electronics filter, then all the modding with the modding filter. but there is no easy way of going back to seeing all the posts together again. any way to fix that?

oh, and change the graphics on the filters. they are horrible to read.

12. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Thanks!! :D

13. DougEdey

Click on the Go button on the forum jump at the bottom right of the thread list.

Myself and fr4nk have already done this using a script, install Greasemonkey on Firefox or enable User Scripting on Opera.

http://voidedwarranty.co.uk/Greasemonkey/bitFilterTags.user.js

14. RTT

RTT #parp

Yep, they are. Didn't quite work out to have graphics and words on the filters. We're going to neaten them up shortly :thumb:

15. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: Now it doesnt work at all anymore :(

16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

When you filter by clicking on a tag you will see an 'unfilter' link at the top of the column. That removes all filters in that forum.

17. RTT

RTT #parp

I just tried to force it manually for you but I stuffed it up...Bear with me on this one :D

Edit: fixed it for you but it'll break again as soon as you edit your location again ;)

18. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

It's not the poll that bothered me but how certain people were dealing with the negative feedback. It wasn't exactly like "We take that on board and we will try to come up with something that suits everyone better"

That's not the bit-tech way of the past you've been good to take on bad feedback and take it on the chin.

It's not that I'm not getting my way it's just that every time I try to use the forums for the threads I want to read I end up getting frustrated and annoyed. I read forums for fun and relaxation not to get annoyed, my keyboard doesn't like it :D

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Is it that hard? There still is the search function and entering a forum and applying a filter isn't that much different then the old way of entering a forum, subforum and searching for the thread.

The only problem now is that not all threads are tagged correctly, but that's something that time will solve.

This emphasises the need for the posters to correctly tag (and maybe subtag in the future? => Primary tag + Related tags, just an idea) their threads. Something that can't be done with en-masse convertions.

20. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

the problem there is that your idea of the correct tag for a thread may not be someone elses idea of the correct tag. It took me a minute to decide this morning if my thread regarding thread colours was either "feedback" that something wasn't working, a "question" about a feature that might or might not be working or a shout for "help" about something that was not working on one of my machines. sometimes theres now to many options.

Tags: Add Tags