1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What "desensitized" You

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Cptn-Inafinus, 2 Aug 2007.

?

What desensitized You?

1. A game

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. A film

21 vote(s)
    26.6%
  3. Other

20 vote(s)
    25.3%
  4. Nothin', im' ard' as nails!

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Now i know this might sound a little weird, but what desensitized you. I mean people always say "after that film, im not going to be scared of anything" and im just curious as too see what "got" you. For me i must say it was Ravenholm in Half Life 2. Or a theatre production of the woman in black.

scary ****...

2. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

One of my dad's friends. I've known him since I was about 4, and he is quite possibly the creepiest man alive.

3. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Oh joy... One of my friends who came up too first year last year wanted too leave the school when he met my computing teacher.

Imagine a cross between Mario, Bill Nighy and Garry Glitter...

Yeah... Not that Bill Nighy is a bad guy, its more "the look"

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I think I was desensitised the moment my Dad first read me my first bedtime story. I don't remember the event, but upon seeing him read to my little brothers (twins, 2 years old this September) I now know why I really don't have any desire to love little fluffy farmyard animals. I was quite happy shooting stuff and in science I was probably the only 13 year old who enjoyed hacking up a frog. You see, my Dad has a warped sense of humour which I have inherited. Instead of the lovely bunny rabbit saving the day, it would be a were-rabbit and eat everything it saw. He also convinced me that ET was evil and to this day I still don't like the long necked *******. I also recently discovered a subconscious hatred for Arnold the elephant from Charlie Chalk... **** knows where that came from. It's almost like my Dad realised he was raising a bit of a crazy and decided to reel me in with fear of stuff that shouldn't be scary.

5. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I just cacked myself!

But yea, for me, would have to be either Ravenholm... possibly the Nightmare on Elm street films, couldn't stop laughing for days after i watched thoughs :thumb: :D

6. riggs

riggs ^_^

Me too! I must've been about 6 or 7 when I started watching horror movies. My folks are pretty laid back, and never really paid attention to ratings on videos.

I've never really been scared from watching films, but do occasionally get a bit freaked out playing games (especially FPS's when there's some kind of monster chasing you - that 2-legged walker robot thing from F.E.A.R. got the old heart rate going).

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

A slow and tedious life where my only joy is taken in the misery and torture of others.

...Oh, and that Care Bears movie - that cheesecake was ****ed up.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2007
  8. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

*nervous lol...* getting alot of odd replies!

But this is what the internet is for!

9. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

has none of you played condemed in the middle of the night in the country with lots of noises outside when your home alone now that it terrifying it really aint scary when your not alone and its day time but when its night and alone it is bad but for some reason it hought jeepers creepers was real cause theres an old deserted house beside mine in the country with no one about and lots of crows

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

To be honest, I have no idea! In hindsight, the first truely gory game I played was Doom, but I never even noticed at as being gory, it just kind of washed over me (pun fully intended). There were games that scared me, but I can't recall the first one.

But what I can say for sure is that in the grand scheme of scary game bits, Ravenholme is right down the bottom, there was nothing remotely scary about that level!

11. CardJoe

Ravenholm was creepy...a bit. Not really scary once you realised it was just zombies.

Scary games though? Condemned: Criminal Origins scares the pants off me every time and is a great game. But my SCARIEST GAME EVAR!!111oneoneone!! award would have to go to either Thief: The Dark Age or Realms of The Haunting.

Thief was scary as hell, especially on the 2nd level - the mines - and The Return To The Cathedral, which won gamespys scariest level ever award a while back.

Realms of The Haunting is supposed to be very scary too - though I wouldn't know since I played the first few bits and the got so scared I refused to play any more. Even when I was 17.
    No, really.

12. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I basically havent completed HL2 due to Ravenholm and the big **** off Spiders. I hate spiders.

13. CardJoe

Spiders? You mean the antlions? They're way after Ravenholm...You can get past Ravenholm in less than 20 minutes if you know where to go. It's piss-easy and very short.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We'll book an appointment. Soon. :p

15. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Yes big black spiders! They re in Ravenholm, also those antlions are a bugger also.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Xcom 2: Terror From The Deep.

I was 11, I played it so much I had nightmares. The music screwed me up.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

To this day I still get shivers thinking about Realms of the Haunting. Back then, the low res sprite based graphics looked gorgeous given it was 1995, but because the graphics were so bad, you could never really tell what was charging towards you with a meat clever. Plus, given the huge, sprawling levels, getting lost was just part of the game, and the enemies constantly hunting you down, creepy little buggers the lot of em. Plus the sense of just being alone, and scared, in this crazy game full of twists and turns and other dimensions. There was no gore, no outright unpleasentness, nothing, but it just got under your skin and refused to move. I've haunted memories of vast underground catacombes full of respawning flying demons, massive complex hub type levels that kept changing subtlely every time you came back, only one day to be home to a massive demon thing. There were always too many enemies and too few bullets, and flight was often the best course of action, though that's rather difficult in dingy catacombs deep underground. It was as much as simply staying alive whilst trying to figure out just what the hell was going on than killing stuff.

In hindsight, ROTH did SO many good things right. The level system was immense, based on a series on interconnecting hubs that all led to one another through different means. The weapons were broad and varied, and uniquiely as far as I can tell, had a charge time that carried on even if you weren't holding the weapon, resulting in the interesting tactic of cycling through various magical weapons as they each independtly charged up. Coupled with an on screen cursor for more accurate targeting and object manipulation (another first, iirc), RPG elements such as alternative endings (not that I ever did manage to finish it), inventory and a really, really deep story, and, get this, a whopping 9 hours of full motion capture video. It's not surprise the game came on 4 CDs even though it was DOS based. Plus, it was full of unique moments, barely any of the game was repeated. There wasn't a singular level style, and each had unique monsters, and the puzzels varied totally in style, from visual clue hunting to logic based tasks. On the one hand this kept the game interesting throghout, and on the other, it always kept you on your toes. Unlike, for example, Doom 3, which was the same as the first ten minutes all the way through, in ROTH you NEVER knew what was around the corner, you never felt complacenet, or on top of things, the whole game was spent stumbling around feeling alone and lost whilst 9 legions of hell pursued you through the corridors.

Ah, if I wasn't such a chicken ****, I'd go play it again right now.

</nostalgia trip>

18. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

Doom series when I was a kid, poltergeist and hellraiser.

Ravenholm wasn't scary.

19. CardJoe

Oh, you mean the poisoned headcrabs. Pfft. Keep your distance, keep your flashlight on and just use a grenade and SMG to take them down. SMG grendaes and barrells are your friends. Besides, you always hear the chitter before you see them - which makes them more scary admittedly.

20. CardJoe

QFT