1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits MSI KunShan Factory Tour 2007

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 16 Sep 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Fascinating, the text gave me an overall impression of the factory and it's ethos but not of individual processes.
    Also, page one, under a caption "the poor viability was a combination of low cloud and ever present smog" should be "the poor visibility was a combination of low cloud and ever present smog".

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cheers, changed :thumb:

I really appreciate the comments on the text :D I stressed for ages at the airport about how to describe some of it correctly :blush: The individual processes are actually pretty boring - each person does literally just one thing like click in a bit of plastic, squeeze on some thermal paste or make a box. It would have been better with pictures to tell that side, that's for sure.

4. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

they should invite the 'How its Made' (show on the discovery channel) crew down there.

Its good to know they listen, and the X-fi onboard on the 680i diamond and the PCIe X-Fi board on the x38 show this well.

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

On page 3 ;

Surely the word there is THAN not then? :p

Nice bit of info, shame there are no pics of the production equipment but I can imagine why you wouldn't be allowed to do so.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

nice to know what MSI has been up to.

yes, Chinese government has everything cleaned up and ready for Olympics. i stayed in Beijing 2 months ago, and god they've done their best in making the city as clean as possible. during my time in Beijing, i also went to ShangHai to visit friends and families, i find ShangHai to be 2 different cities. on the East side of the river, it's mostly modern with the TV tower and 101 building, while on the West side of the river, it's old styled houses.

may i ask where did you take that 2nd photo, looking towards the rivier and a bridge?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

All the first page photos were taken from the JinMao tower. The Wiki picture is old: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Mao_Building because it's now got the financial building being built within spitting distance: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=shanghaiworldfinancialcenter-shanghai-china. It's great to go up the JinMao tower and literally see the other one being built from the inside out! Unfortunately I only had my 50mm not 10mm so couldn't get an image because it was too close!

I like this bit of trivia about it:
    Because it was made by Ubi-ShangHai

8. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

not on your life.

the smog problem has the committee ready to call it off, unless china can do something about it. reason I know this is my dad is developing some flue gas scrubbing technology to remove all the nasty crap that causes smog. some of the company's capital came from a few Chinese firms tasked with doing something about the smog problem quickly.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

How It's Made did do a section on making graphics cards. I'm not sure which company it was (this was back in the geForce 2 days i think) but it showed the component gun machines in action and such.
    I've seen it about 2/3 times so keep a look out on the Disc. channel, It'll be on again soon.

10. oblivinated

oblivinated What's a Dremel?

I live in Shanghai =) and it's nice knowing that Bit-Tech is taking the time to come visit this rapidly changing city. Come back in a year, it'll be completely different.

Anyone else notice that in one of the photos the R&D Staff is called R&D Stuff? You would think they catch these things...

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome!

What part and where do you work, out of interest? And just as importantly: are my assumptions about the city correct?

I was warned by a couple of other (Taiwanese) girls that I "should be careful of ShangHai women" hahaha.

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

So Bindi is visiting Taiwanese girls now is he?

13. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

I know it's not @ MSI, but look at this video I found, Gigabyte MB.

Anyone can spot the MB model ? :D

Interesting article, shame that with the competition they can't allow pictures to be taken.
    I wanna see internals and components !

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Haha ;) I've met a few through work and chat to them occasionally, that's all :) And of course, the girls accompanying us on the trip were Taiwanese too.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, in my 20 year old life, now is a LOT better than a few years ago, and trust me, a few years ago when i was living in Beijing is still breathable.

are the reason for mostly Taiwanese girls to be they speak fluent English?

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I would love to see a How its Made, because the only one they did on computers was with technology from like late 80s early 90s lol.

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

That list of notebook firsts is a list of crap.

I've seen notebooks for YEARS with numberpads - the 17"s and above. The first robson/turbomem? My D830 supports that just fine...

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

haha, he's good friends with my fiancee and some of her friends too :)

19. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

I was about to post pretty much the same thing.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

;) We lol'd at them too.

Tags: Add Tags