1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Radio Shack to start selling games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Sep 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

are there any Radio Shacks still left in England? I thought they closed down as there were expensive and rubbish..

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

How can it compete with Game? if it were bloody cheaper!

I only buy from GAME if i get a storevoucher / card, because it reduces the price to a more bearable amount!

4. CardJoe

There definitely used to be one in Lancaster until last year. I used to pass by on my way to University.

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Radio shack... wait.. soemthing comes to my mind...
    customer walks into Radioshack, asks for bioshock, whats that? the employee there asks... a game the customer answers... what is a game? the employee answers... the customer curses the shop and goes to buy it somewhere else...

6. CardJoe

Could be worse. A friend of mine had to physically stop me from slapping an employee at Gamestation once. ******* said he'd never heard of Steam. When his manager came in an said the same, I nearly lost it at them both. :wallbash:

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

omg.... and i thought my horror vision was bad.... but your post proofed that life can be even worse.

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Erm, on this side of the pond, The Source by Circuit City (it's just radio shack with shitty in-house products, and rebadging) sells games out the wazoo, and it did too while it was still called RadioShack. Coincidence?

9. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

"my interest in Radio Shack my undergo"

Grammar Police!

10. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

My view of Radio Shack is tainted by Dilbert. I also assume all Americans buy anything electronics (read transistors, capacitors, PCB) there, I don't know why.

11. ScwB

ScwB What's a Dremel?

The Radioshacks in my area (western Canada) have been selling games for years. In fact, I can't remember a time when they didn't sell games. Odd that they have games here but not elsewhere.

12. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i only buy random electronic bits there.. like switches, etc - that are hard to find anywhere else where i live... i doubt too, that they'll be low enought to compete.. we shall see

13. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I still use Radio Shack for bit and pieces I need for circuits, but I hate it every time. $2.50 for a run of the mill green LED? RIP! Its often cheaper than ordering a single thing on the internet and paying for the shipping.

BTW Radioshack has had a small selection of PC games for as long as I can remember here in Canada.

14. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Be careful with assumptions. There are a few Radio Shacks around here, but if you need a specific component, your best bet is either Fry's or the local mom and pop shop just down the road (if you haven't already found it on-line). From what I understand, most of the Radio Shacks have moved away from electrical components and moved toward electrical gadgets. They just can't compete with on-line shops.

The last time I went into a Radio Shack, they only had one small cabinet with a dozen or so random LEDs and switches, and only a handful of other diodes. The rest of the shop was filled with radios, RC cars, Compaq computers and a random assortment of other similar toys.

-monkey

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

See, thats the thing: Radioshack in canada was never Radioshack.

Circuit City leased the name and opened it's own version of the store, which sold small eletronic devices, games, toys, and the ocasional small electronic part (LED's, cables, solder, ect). Couple years back Radioshack wanted to move up north, so they revoked the lease (or it ran out, don't remember), which caused CC to re-brand all their stores, and now you can see in various places true Radioshacks along side their Source kin. Although Radioshack is doing so poorly up here that every store I've seen of theirs open, has closed within three months due to lack of business. Go figure.

Long story short: the Source by CC != Radioshack.

16. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

RadioShack products were sold through Tandy electronics in the UK. Tandy were rapidly going down the pan due to poor stock availability and abysmal Stock management. The Carphone Warehouse offered them a last hour help package which involved them selling all their stock, shops and staff to them. TCW then went on to cherrypick the best staff and locations to convert them to TCW shops, then sold all the stock off from the shops that were left over and eventually closed them down. Textbook takeover, and ruthlessly executed.

All that is left is Maplin for retail electronics, and frankly they are moving rapidly towards selling cheap toys at christmas and cheap imported far east merchandise at falsely discounted prices; just like Tandy did.

Tags: Add Tags