1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My New System, please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by n0ferz, 1 Oct 2007.

1. n0ferz

n0ferz What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys I am new to the Forum and I am planning getting this System:

CPU: Q6600
    memory: CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY BL2KIT12864AL1065 Ballistix Tracer 2GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066)
    PSU: Enermax ELT620AWT Liberty 620W Power Supply
    CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700

Parts I already bought:
    mobo: ASUS P5N32-E SLI nForce 680i
    video: XFX 8600 gt xxx

I really want to hear your suggestions of what I can change to make the system better or if I can keep this setup. I am looking to run the Q6600 to atleast 3.0ghz so I think it wont be that hard.

Reading in here I have found that most of the users suggest the Corsair series PSU and maybe if someone can explain me why to choose the Corsairs over the Enermax, Thanks.

2. rito

rito What's a Dremel?

Because Corsairs are really good quality.

3. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Actually, the Enermax Liberty series is supposed to be of very high quality also, so I wouldn't have regrets about getting either one.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Corsair or Enermax, you can't really go wrong with either. You want the Enermax Infiniti though, not the Liberty.

It stresses me a bit that you bought the 8600 GT - I hope you don't plan to game very much because it's pretty pitiful.

The Balistix Tracers are good memory: how much are they? But if you don't care for bling lights grab some Kingston 9600 for ~£125 or OCZ SLI Edition 2GB for ~£60.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i would get a better CPU cooler, im not very happy with my Zalman 9500's job cooling my Q6600

something like Tuniq Tower 120 should perform better

6. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I would look for confirmation that the Ballistix Tracer 2GB PC2-8500 is compatible with the P5N32-E SLI board, the board can be a bit fussy about ram used with it, would recommend you take at this list of the known compatible ram.

7. n0ferz

n0ferz What's a Dremel?

Thanks all for your suggestions, I looked the list and I didnt see the model I plan to buy :(. According to the list the faster memory that this board supports is only DDR2-800?

Delphium you have this same mobo, right? Can you please tell me the model of your dominators?

Thanks.

8. fatty

fatty Minimodder

I would get an Asus P5K-E mobo to push the Q6600 a little higher

9. n0ferz

n0ferz What's a Dremel?

the thing is I already have the mobo and cant change it :waah:

10. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

don't go with the liberty; The 620 only has 36a combined, there's a ton of them dying at the end of the 1 year warranty, and it's not as quiet or efficient as the Corsair.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Even Enermax admitted to me that the Liberty was a bad product :blush:

12. n0ferz

n0ferz What's a Dremel?

lol I will buy the Corsair HX series then :p....Ok now lets get to the memory guys

I've read that this mobo is very picky with the mem you can use. After reading a lot of reviews and such I found that some people use different types of memory with this board that are not listed in the QVL memory list that Asus have on their Site.

I would like to really know whats the risk in buying memory thats not listed in the QVL?

Thank you all for your suggestions :clap:

13. Delphium

I do have the same mobo, using bios version 1103, and the Corsair Dominator PC2-6400, Part number CM2X1024-6400C4D.

14. Delphium

Risks? Well a freind of mine managed to fry both his ram and his motherboard mem controller when using 4 sticks of some crucial ram that was not listed on the QVL.

Others online have simply had there pc not boot, where as some have been lucky and all works fine according to some posts in forums.

After watching my freind fry 2 boards mem controllers with non QVL listed ram, I personnally decided not to risk it and stuck with the listed corsair stuff, which has done me well so far.

15. n0ferz

n0ferz What's a Dremel?

Well I think I will stick with the listed ram in the QVL :p, thank you very much Delphium, I will try to buy those you listed for me. :cooldude:

16. Delphium

:thumb: Good luck with the build :)

17. n0ferz

n0ferz What's a Dremel?

Guys I have another question, I would like to use the Dominator Fan but I wonder if I can use a CPU cooler too? if so which one can I use??

I want to know if they will have both space to be installed......the case I will buy is a Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS

Thank you.