1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches new processors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

And here's me still running an Xp3000+ I feel so 5 years ago :(

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Heh, my main (only) rig runs an XP2200+ and Radeon 9600 XT. Fear my power.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

still on the s939 x2 4800. It will cost me a arm and leg to upgrade to am2+ so i wait till the am3 gets released.

5. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

To be honest, AMD release all these processors, shame they can't actually release one to give Intel some stick.

I see them realsing all the different ones that are under par. Yes we at work use the semprons for the cheaper PC's we build, but for the more expensive machines intel is what we use.

I still have a 4400+X2 at home but want to wait and see what AMD bring out.

6. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

One of my rigs still has a FX60 in it, looking to upgrade that one to match my other though.

I wouldn't mind an AMD to rival my intel's but at the moment they are just releasing pointless processors. Maybe Phenom will change that.

7. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

All you people saying "My rig still has {3-year-old beast processor} and I hope to upgrade it soon" make me feel left out. My computer still has a Sempron 3100 and it's not getting changed for probably six months.

That aside, a lot of people are missing a fairly exciting point about these new chips - their 45 watt power consumption. If you're looking to build a quiet computer as a server or media center, until recently the best you could do without using a stupidly expensive laptop processor was 65 watts. If they ultimately release dual-cores with the same consumption, that'll be a huge selling point. My opinion about processors at the moment is to buy the slowest full-featured dual core available (based on my own usage, so don't try arguing about that). If AMD will net me a quieter computer, I'll go with them.

8. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Prices dropping is always a good thing to me. Also, with most people unable to afford a complete system upgrade (myself) or with people still waiting for hardware/features like DDR3 or AM3 to mature before they decide to upgrade, this is great news as they are able to upgrade for less money and see a performance gain while waiting for the cash flow to accumulate. I am still using an OC'd XP 2500+ which I have taken to a 3200+ along with an AGP X1600PRO.....so I'm feeling the pain.....trust me...

9. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Lucky you. I couldn't get my XP2500 to overclock at all. It just refused to boot at anything over 166FSB! I gave up in the end. Still using it as my primary system, just about saved up enough to build a new system. Unfortunately, it will be an Intel machine. AMD just can't offer me the power that I can get from Intel. :(

Andy

10. devdevil85

Of course it depends on your mobo...but still that thing should OC easy. I haven't raised the Core Voltage or anything and have the RAM at a 1:1 ratio....currently I have it at 198FSB...w/ a 11x multiplier.....with an aftermarket Thermaltake HS on it......it's running at around 44 celcius full load......lately though my system's been hanging while playing Oblivion and I've had to hardboot so I may drop it or I may raise the voltage idk.....I just wish I could figure out why it's hanging considering it shouldn't be temperature-related.....and I'm not OCing my video card either so....

11. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know of a good graph with all the Intel and AMD processors on it? (i know ive seen one before ...) And possibly another with bang/$ ? (more hassle to keep it updated with prices though)

AMD procs are soo cheap, I'm interested in knowing when your better off with each company ....

If not, perhaps somthing bit-tech could do :p

12. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

13. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i have 2 box at home: XP2500+ @2.4Ghz, and s939 X2-3800+ @2.925Ghz.

now i wonder how people (and alot of them stilll im sure) would wanna pick up an AM2 socket these days???? s939 is, IMHO, AMD's last great bastion. AM2 is a so-so product that got swallowed the second it was born by Core2Duo architecture.

14. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

AM2 just added DDR2 to the mix as far as I'm aware, so it wasn't a huge plus
    Also at the time DDR2 was more expensive

15. devdevil85

Red, how did you get your 2500+ to 2.4Ghz????? do you game with it? because I can only get mine to 2.2Ghz before it just hangs every other minute....

16. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

2.4 should be attainable on air, its only 11.5 x 20X FSB :thumb:

17. devdevil85

Maybe it's my Generic RAM giving me issues....but there is no way for me to OC to that speed......I've tried.....

18. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Ah, the wonders of the unlocked multiplier! I got a locked 2500 and every time I tried to up the fsb, it wouldn't even post. Like I said, I gave up in the end (grief from wife had something to do with it...) but I'm looking to get a quad core jobbie in the new year (after sprog no 2 arrives) and I'm definately going to try again with the overclocks...

Andy

Tags: Add Tags