1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [10/07] Autumn in the park

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by ajack, 21 Oct 2007.

1. ajack

ajack rox

[​IMG]

Had a bit of spare time yesterday so went for a bit of a ride around and came across this park. There was a specific scene I wanted to shoot (this wasn't it) but then I realised I'd left my CF card in the card reader at home and by the time I'd ridden back, got it and come back, the light was fading quite a bit and so I couldn't get the shot I wanted. If I have time, I'll go back when I get my 10-20 back from being repaired and try it again.

I'm sort of half happy with this shot - because it was getting dark I had to do a 3s exposure so some of the leaves are a bit blurred and I don't really like that. Still, it's been a while since I entered something.

10D, f/22, 3.2s, ISO100, 50mm

Last edited: 21 Oct 2007
  2. olv

olv he's so bright

mmm, there's a really nice soft quality to the shot. I think the blurred leaves make it really. feels a lot like an IR shot. i'd be tempted to push for more contrast in the foreground though. crops seems a little tight too?

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I agree with you on the leaves. And like olv I'd like a bit more contrast. A very beautiful scene though! I love that lamp and the fact that its hat isn't straight on, but on the verge of falling off :) I like!

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The picture is perfect. Don't change anything (it doesn't need toe border though).

5. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Agreed, I really like it.

6. olv

olv he's so bright

no photograph is perfect. the idea of a 'perfect' photo is silly, it's a completely abstract concept with far too many variables for it to be realistically achieved.

7. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

:rolleyes:

Great pick ajack, really like it.

8. Nexxo

Now surely you are kidding? :eyebrow:

I was just using a figure of speech. When I say this photo is cheesecake I am not really comparing it to a piece of pastry either.

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Sitting here at my uncalibrated office monitor, this looks like a very nice photograph. I really love the tones throughout; I don't think you need to adjust the contrast at all. I agree with olv in that this almost feels like an IR shot.

The tree trunks, fallen leaves, lamp, and (what I assume are) bicycle racks are all sharp, so I know that the blurred leaves were not caused by bad camera work. As such, I think the blurred leaves add an element of movement to the image. I think that helps accentuate the feeling of a cool, breezy Autumn day.

The only complaint I have is that it's not in color. As a black and white artistic photo, I think it's great. As an image that emotes "Autumn," the lack of color makes it hard for me to get in the right mood.

-monkey

10. spec

spec What's a Dremel?

Nice photography skills this photo has something special 2 it

11. olv

olv he's so bright

just illustrating how useless this forum is most of the time for critique. no one is ever going to get any better because no one ever suggests any useful or interesting insight into how the shot could have been different whether it be composition, technique or processing.

all you ever get is a load of 'WOW YEAH AMAZING I REALLY LIKE THAT'... it's great

12. walle

walle Minimodder

I like it, the sharpness of the lamp post combined with the "warm fuzzy background" gives me the impression of two separate photos merged into one. No, I'm no art / photo critics, and perhaps I even lack the vocabulary skill to put it better...well, sue me; I think the photo is great and its also nice to see an autumn photo without colour, in this case it works perfectly. :thumb:

Cheers.

13. Nexxo

So positive feedback about what you did well is not useful?

It is possible to get too critical. Don't forget that in the end, photography is just about making interesting pictures.

14. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I just want to say I agree with both of you :-D :clap:

15. olv

olv he's so bright

Not when someone simply says "I really like that", no.

16. Nexxo

I wonder what sex is like for you (and your girlfriend/wife)...

17. olv

olv he's so bright

I wonder why you're so odd

18. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I wonder how they keep you two apart at playschool. Come on guys, this is a photo discussion thread, keep your handbags on your shoulders and accept you're not going to agree regardless. There's no problem in saying 'this photo is perfect' if Nexxo doesn't think it can be easily improved upon...if you do, then tell us how, don't start trying to ignite a war of words with someone who simply projects his views differently to you.

<A88>

19. Nexxo

My remark may seem flippant, but it makes a point: although improving one's technique of course enhances the enjoyment, the point of the activity in the end is the enjoyment it generates, not to improve the technique. ;)

But <A88> is right: back on topic.

Tags: