1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC freezing / Crashing at startup - Win XP Home

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Vaz, 17 Dec 2007.

1. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,
    I have a major problem with my pc.

A few months ago my pc developed a problem where it would crash at startup. The way to resolve this which I found was to let it do a memory check and then it would load fine.

For the past 4 days it's been a nightmare. Even after doing memory check it crashes at startup.

I tried logging into safemode and out. I CANT log into safemode+networking.

I was totally locked out for two days then by some miracle after logging into safemode and out again it let me login (day 3)

same thing again today but this time I had to log in a few times.

I done a quick hardware check and nothing seems to be broken/no dust.

How can I resolve this?

I really don't want to re-format the pc.

Running Win XP Home edition.

(PS: also have problem on another pc which is many years old - stopped working two years ago due to same problem).

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Get a copy of memtest and run it to test your RAM. I'd start from there.

3. Muffins17

Muffins17 What's a Dremel?

Yer starting with the memory's not a bad idea.

Although personally i swap the RAM with alternative modules, to see if it works ok with that RAM, its quicker aslong as you have spare memory lying around the place.

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I have nothing further to add, to what's already been suggested, unfortunately.

I just wanted to ask...

Why?

Given that your system is being so problematic, it could turn out to be the quickest/easiest remedy :idea:

If it's because you've got a lot of stuff on the HDD, you haven't backup... tut tut!
    But if you can boot into safe mode again... couldn't you back up all your important files then?

As for your second/older system:

You've left it sitting for two whole years, due to a similar problem :eeek:
    Haven't you considered reformatting the HDD, and re-installing Windows on it, in all that time :confused:

5. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Thank you guys for the tips.

@hazardous - that's precisely my reason. I should have stored all my media/files on another drive. I'd have to go out and get 2x500GB hdd's and then be able to do something.

6. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

just to let you know that memtest didnt pickup any errors. Should I just reinstall windows without formating the drive? Would this change any previous system settings (drivers and so on) // modify my files/programs?

Kind regards,
    Vaz

7. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Errr... Get a small and cheap HDD that you use for your OS and applications. Then that problem is solved.

Secondly: Boot up in safe mode. Remove your network card drivers (uninstall them in device manager). Either find original driver disk or download the latest to an USB drive and then reboot the machine into safe mode again and tell windows to use the new (or old, anything else than the ones windows finds by itself) network drivers.

If your network is an add-in card I would suggest you try and remove it. If it's an onboard you could try and disable it in BIOS. This to see whether the (apparently faulty) network device is what crashes your rig.

8. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I'll be sorely tempted to leech all your data and format/ reinstall if I was you. Reinstalling apps is a pain but a fresh install will cure your problems.

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

...assuming everything else has been tested/corrected, like voltage and timings on RAM, etc.; MemTest ran for more than 10 secs to verify there isn't a bad module; the usual. Reformat after that if you feel it's the next step to be taken.

10. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Thank you!!! :D

I removed the wireless network card today (which I never use) and it work's fine now. So.. Is it just that I need to update the drivers for this device?

Thanks again. :D

11. OleJ

OleJ Me!

You're welcome :) Glad it worked.

Now: I suggest you try and remove your network card drivers (uninstall them in device manager).
    Download the latest driver from the manufacturer to an USB drive or your desktop so you can find it when you need it. If they are .zip you will of course need to unzip them first so they're ready when you need em.
    Then shut down machine and install the wireless card again.
    Start up and tell windows to use the new drivers.

If windows then starts to crash again do the following:
    Remove the card.
    Start windows and remove your network card drivers (uninstall them in device manager).
    Shut down and reinsert net card.
    Then find original driver disk and start up and tell windows to use the old drivers from the disk.

If it then still crashes you can assume that the NIC is defect and as you never use it just take it out and throw it on the ground and jump on it for payback ;) (or of course RMA it if theres any warranty).