1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [12/07] Faking It

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by PHILIP1193, 31 Dec 2007.

1. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

Hey Guys

Here is my submission for this month, iv had very limited resources that are red to photograph so i have done the best i can.

This was taken with my new D40 and iv tried to take a good photo but thats for you all the decide.

Im after comments good and bad, iv slightly boosted the colour to make it a bit more red and thats about it. If you have any suggestions they are welcome as im new as this kinda thing

[​IMG]

^^ final version

EXIF Info

Nikon D40
    Focal length: 40 mm
    Exposure Time: 1 / 60
    ISO: 200
    FNumber: 5.6
    FlashCompensation: -0.6666667

Last edited: 31 Dec 2007
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Either the depth of field is waaay to high or the compression is set to max or something. I like the theme, quite humorous but it messes with my eyes :S

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Yeah I had to squinch my eyes twice and move my face up close to the monitor to focus. I think it might be over compressed as it almost looks like camera phone quality.

Funny title and picture combo though :)
    I think you've found a good subject and the dof is good but you should try to beware of disturbing color surfaces in the background. I reckon they haven't withered yet, so go ahead and reshoot in front of a more uniform background. Perhaps even one that creates a color contrast or lends something else to the subject. :) Oh and don't compress the jpg so hard. It makes it really hard to tell if your pic is spot on or not.

4. PHILIP1193

lol, ye the faking it comes from the fact its a fake flower so i doubt they'll wither for a while yet OleJ ;).

yea the compression is quite high on the one at the top, the orginal looks spot on and not as blurred (oher than through the aperture has made it happen). but i had to re-size it as like most pictures they are big and its been compressed

The orginal [​IMG]

as its uncompressed it shoudl display better, does this look better and make your eyes less squiffy?

Phil

5. Vers

Vers ...

Well nothing says red like a rose. Like Richard and OleJ, I am having trouble finding sharpness too (compression may be set to a max but I don't think its a DOF issue seeing as though you shot at f/5.6) As for composition, always try to shoot flowers with at least a little bit of stem showing, unless its a tight macro. Think of them as people, in most cases you wouldn't cut someone off at the neck/chin and leave so much atmosphere above their head. You may want to do that in reality, cut someones head off, but when it comes to photography its a no-no. Also, another little tip: when or if you shoot people the same rule applies but it goes much further in depth. Never cut through a victim's models joints (wrist,knees, ankles) or torso. It makes for an awkward portrait if daves handless or mary is just a floating head.

Edit: Ah...now I see. Prior to the new image I didn't even realize that the roses were cloth. Much better.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2007
  6. PHILIP1193

this is my last attempt for tonight, i shot tis about 15 mins ago and its dark so the back ground is a little darker, which makes it better

[​IMG]

that has no compression and again just a hint of colour boosting, along with a minor crap. Iv also tried to keep the stem in the photo, but again comments welcome

EXIF Info:
    Nikon D40
    Focal length: 49 mm
    Exposure Time: 1 / 60
    ISO: 200
    FNumber: 5.6
    FlashCompensation: -0.6666667

Phil

7. Vers

Vers ...

Nicely done. What is the black space behind the flowers? It would make a nice background if it took up the WHOLE background. Also, was the camera in vertical or horiz. position? if it was horizontal...try shooting vertical to get more of the rear roses in view with the darkest background you can generate.

8. PHILIP1193

[​IMG]

Better?

Same exif info as last time just shot at 40mm focal length

Phil

9. Vers

Vers ...

Perfect.

10. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Much Better, I quite like it. More so with the title and picture combo. Great Job:thumb:

11. PHILIP1193

thanks for all your help and comments

Phil

12. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Much better!
    Congrats on producing a fine shot :)

Tags: