Windows How do I resize an NTFS partition on Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by OneSeventeen, 21 Jan 2008.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I've got a server running Windows 2003 that has a partition that is way too small. (6GB for the OS!)
    I'd like to resize it, but the only application I've found with corporate support is from Acronis and costs $500.

I don't mind putting in a purchase order for that, but I'd rather get one that is cheaper that maybe has fewer features. Their $50 version claims to not support Windows Server 2003, although I'm confused as to why the OS matters considering this should all happen off a boot CD.

Any tips?

It is a critical server, so I don't quite trust the open source apps that "almost" support NTFS.

2. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

Fundamentally, the software is the same. What is different is the additional driver sets for multitude of enterprise controllers.

You can use the trial version by registering and download.

Here's my thoughts... whatever software you use, you'll still need to create a backup image of that partition or VM. If you have a backup image that has been validated to be perfect, why not try open source solution.

We use a slew of Acronis stuff at various office locations and i like it and has accepted their software idiosyncrasies.. quite a few. For one.. there is may be a need to continously upgrade Acronis software to get the latest driver set, especially True Image.

Buy one and use it since it's a mission critical server.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Further to ryanjleng there's a similar request here. Although Acronis is the favourite solution, there are a few discouraging comments on the basic idea with Server 2003.

4. quack

quack Minimodder

Acronis Disk Director Suite does not work on 2003, only Disk Director Server does.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2008
  5. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

The more i think about it... there is an alternative solution.

Get Acronis True Image Echo for Workstation which is $79.99. I used it on my notebook (!) and used the recovery CD version everywhere. The latest Bootable CD Recovery is a better version over previous ones.

Backup the whole HDD or/and individual partition, which is reasonably quick... and install Windows 2003 and use the partition setup part to create the new partitions.

Then recover the Backup partitions' images back to the HDD, which can be expanded or reduced proportionally to the new sizes.

True Image probably has 'more' value in the long run.

6. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

try this. do a full backup. put new drive in and format and load windows server and drivers only, servername and password is unimportant at this point, when you restore the system state it will fix all of this. reboot into ad restore mode. then restore it to the new drive. WHAM you are on a bigger drive with no muss no fuss and no reactivation.

7. looka

looka What's a Dremel?

EASEUS Partition Manager Server can do the job well and it is much cheaper than Acronis...

8. ericwss

ericwss What's a Dremel?

partition windows server

I agree with the upstair.

9. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

10. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I second Gparted. Has worked everytime i used it on Linux ext2, ext3, JFS, ResierFS, Windows NTFS, and VFAT

11. win7

win7 What's a Dremel?

First, I tried diskpart, as many guys have recommend this, after checked microsoft KB, it cannot expand a partition until there is unallocated space behind it, that means, I have to delete one partition to expand.
    If you want to try diskpart, see this page how to extend partition with Diskpart
    Then found disk director, but too expensive to me, $609.:wallbash:
    At last, paid 100 for another partition magic server and solved this problem, besides resizing, it can help me copy the disk and partition. The most important to me, I resized the partition without reboot, very well.
    See this page how to resize partition on Server 2003:clap:

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011
  12. luck

luck What's a Dremel?

13. jimy

jimy What's a Dremel?

Easeus partition master is so good, I like to use it, thanks easeus.

14. kristianlee

kristianlee What's a Dremel?

I agree with the others in that you should do a backup, and then restore into a fresh installation of Server 2003.

If it's a mission-critical server, and you need almost 0 downtime, I'd recommend going down the virtualised route (in order that the server stays up while the installation and restore from backup's progressing).

Grab a free copy of VMWare Converter http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/ which 'sucks' the physical machine into a virtual image. Then install the other free bit of kit, VMWare Server http://www.vmware.com/products/server/ chuck the image you created from VMWare Converter on there, assign the server it's normal IP address, and you'll get 0hrs downtime!

Hope that helps!

15. appeage09

appeage09 What's a Dremel?

may be its because of aero & other eyecandy things which are comes with 7 & ther is no such specific no for that but then also it varying becoz no of apps u installed & running in background when os boot

16. lampard

lampard What's a Dremel?

Old Topic, Common Headache

Noticed this was posted year 2008 but this could be a common question lots of system administrator could facing. I had the same problem recently and hope my findings could give you some idea. Basically, everything come with a cost. After spend few days searching, I have find 3 tools can address this issue (according to their claim).

1.The native: Diskpart is a command-line utility which enables explicit control of partitions and volumes. With regard to Extend feature, the volume must be formatted with the NTFS file system; the unallocated space for the extension must be the next contiguous space on the same disk; only the extension of data volumes is supported. System or boot volumes may be blocked from being extended.

2. easy of use: Aomei Partition Assistant. I am happy because the budget keeps going down and this tool is exactly what I need. Good thing is I could also test its capabilities because their home edition is free.

3. most expensive: Acronis Disk Director. With $609, it is the most expensive software in this field. Loads of features in the software, I am kind of lost at first glance. After all, I only need extend my server system partition. Will be a good one to keep in the future and I am little bit hesitate to use it because I kind of feel it is design for advanced administrator.

3 tools I tested and guess which product. I will not tell you which product we bought the last, (most of time it is decided by customer or your manager). All products could resize partition Windows 2003.

Step-by-step instruction on how to resize partition: http://www.partition-magic.org/windows-server-2003/resize-partition-windows-server-2003.html

Last edited: 10 Oct 2011
  17. jincathy

jincathy Banned

18. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I thought I would just add, if you have a 2008 server within the Domain you can manage the 2003 server from that and re-size the disks.

Fairly common work around :p