1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Opera announces new Mobile browser

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

One thing they don't mention in the article is that this is the smart phone version of Opera's browser. Not to be confused with Opera Mini. It costs $24.

Also there is no Blackberry or Palm version of Opera Mobile. Not sure why. I would consider buying it since I have a Blackberry.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

it seems more and more attention is being spent on the mobile users and less on the normal users``

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, I did. In fact, I said:

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I used Opera mini a lot on my XDA and it looks like this might be worth the small amount they're asking for it if the new IEMobile doesn't improve enough on the last one.

6. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I have opera mini installed on my blackjack but cant stand to use it since java makes me authorize every time it sends and receives data, thats about 4 times or more every page load that I have to do that and its too much of a pain. As much as IE sucks on my phone it works better than anything else I have tried so far.

7. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

My bad. I was more referring to that fact that it is not a free browser. With most (all?) desktop browsers being free, many people don't think that a mobile browser would cost money.

8. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

It's going to be released with opera desktop 9.5 too. According to rumour, set for identical release dates for PR and all that. The desktop version is pretty much finished as far as I'm aware? http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/next/ beta out

Mind you, I think it's sensible for them to go for a niche market where they can beat the opponents. Opera is the 'best' operating system in that it has the most features and best performance. However, I still use firefox because mainstream devs give me little things. I like the way it's straightforward to organise my bookmarks just with favicons at the top, the way google saves every setting in my browser so if I need to reinstall I don't lose anything and so on.

But on a mobile device these embellishments aren't attractive and so a small, fast, effective browser with good zoom capabilities (something opera has always been good at - you can zoom in in youtube and it will make the video fill the screen, vs firefox or ie that can only increase text size) will be a killer and with the mobile market getting bigger I think Opera have seen their niche and are going for it.

Can't really blame them - afterall there are several good desktop browsers out there to choose from already, so as a consumer you're not really losing out.

9. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I think hes trying to say this isnt free

Edit: should read the whole thread first, that is what he meant :p

Last edited: 8 Feb 2008
  10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I tried this on my wm6 device and all styelesheet background-images and most css functions are missing when viewing asp.net pages. Dont know what it is.

But at least javascript is working again compared to the IE WM6. Yes thats true, almost all javascript is not working with IE WM6. They stripped almost all javascript out of it in the WM6 version. Its very frustrating.

Tags: Add Tags