1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Apr 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Chipset breadth will start from the end of the month - it's not has if Nvidia just annouced it yesterday, you've known since January (which, I admit is AFTER the 780i launch). It's just like SLI - it'll take some time to get off the ground from the start but just like SLI people will buy a new board and a new card.

I agree with multiple displays and the irrelevance factor though, especially if rumor about "G200" is to be believed - that might **** quite a people off.

I was arguing about the technology concept of hybrid SLI, but to start with - it'll likely not suit many.

2. koajoe

koajoe PC Gaming master race!

Most of the 8800GTXs on new egg are more expensive than this new card. I hope that changes soon (already have one and I am tempted to go sli). NVIDIA has a marketing nightmare on their hands with their naming schemes/ pricing.

I am very surprised this card does not surpass the 8 series. Is this NVIDIA's April fools joke to the world?

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Damn that's just plain disappointing launch from Nvidia. What's the point? And the name... The name let us expect something even a bit different, but it's basicly yet another 8800...

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

What a joke, *strokes PS3*

5. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Damn it, the 98xx series were supposed to be crysis killers. Sigh

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

hrmm ... i would have liked to have seen a 3870 single thrown in the mix as well ...

but then again i am just a stupid ATI guy ....

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

should of called it an 9700 card so thay could use 9800 for its propper use (same goes for the GX2)

SLI hybrid should work well but giveing an name to an card 9800 gtx for an card that is slower then an 8800 gtx or about same speed

8. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Since nVidia already leaked that it's new line is ready for launch and are just waiting for ATi to release their new cards (supposedly June), I don't think they will have to play catch up. In fact, they are just waiting for ATi to try to catch up. Right now they are toying with ATi and the public with these sub-par releases, milking every dollar out of their dated tech.
    I knew these cards weren't going to be anything to raise a brow at, as it seems so have most every one. This card will only capture the eye of the unknowing because of the nomeclature.
    tk421,
    there is no point in comparing these to an HD3870, partially because I believe BT just wanted to show us how these rate compared to nVidias current cards, plus the 3870 simply isn't in the same league as these cards.

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

10. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

I'm one of those people that have a 30" monitor. I bought a 8800gt thinking it would boost my performance, even over my pair of 7800gt's

I was wrong.. I get about the same performance.
    My theory *correct me if I'm wrong*

my 7800's only having 256mb of ram didnt have enough free space for the master card to store all of its data + the data from the rendering of the slave card so it would have to dump back to system memory, then retrieve it again.

My 8800gt only having a 256 memory interface, altho better than the 7800gt's still cant push the data at the needed speeds for a 2560x1600 monitor.

So.... if your running a 30" monitor the 8800GTX is still the card to have? In SLI even better?

From what I gather, there is nothing new from Nvidia that caters to the extreme gamer using a HUGE monitor since the 8800GTX...
    :edit: The reason being that Nvidia has stuck with the use of a 256bit memory interface..

-EVRE-

Last edited: 2 Apr 2008
  11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nvidia is pushing SLI and 3-way for super resolutions, basically. :/

I think we're stuck at 256bit/512MB until GDDR5 arrives since "4" is still nowhere - I had expected these cards to launch with 1GB to at least give them an edge.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Like tk421, I'd have liked to have seen a single 3870 in the mix too, although I understand that deadlines can make benching another card difficult. :)

The 9800GTX is basically a slightly more energy efficient 8800GTX (although nowhere near as efficient as I'd been hoping)... the choice between the two will come down to the heat the 9800 pumps out at idle and load, and whether the increase in price on the 9800 will be justified by decreased power bills. Would also like to see 1GB versions of the card - it might make it slightly more tempting...

Quick question, although I might have missed it in the review... how long is the 9800?

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

GDDR5? are they going to be on 9900GTX by any chance?

14. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

well, some of us have fairly strict budgets when it comes to technology - the wife and daughter can't be going hungry cause daddy wants a new toy.
    the dual gpu cards are quite out of my budget.

since the review was on one company's (currently) top end single gpu solution - i believe that it should have been compared to the other guy's current top end single gpu solution. it seems like the 3870 x2 was just thrown in so this didn't read, as you said - a comparison of nividia's current cards.

i get worried when the gimmick-y stuff starts coming from both sides.

15. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Any chance of letting us know of any you guys currently know of ? It doesn't seem to be something they're too keen to splash all over (lets face it marketing-led) corporate websites. And I'm sure there are a fair few of us around here would like to know :).

16. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Sad, this is what is wrong with PC gaming, Hardware vendors are driving up pricing of video cards (Yes, I am looking at u Nvidia), while milking old tech. These cards should not be more the $200 max. I have been a long time Nvidia fan, but I hope ATI kicks the 9 series in the balls, this price gouging and milking old tech and charging a premium just to play games on high settings is just driving more people to the consoles. nvidia should be asahmed, i was looking forward to getting a 9 series card, not anymore, what a rip-off. If hardware vendors made high end graphics more affordable, u would see PC gamong become more popular, it is companies like intel, nvidia that are doing more to hurt Pc gaming then help.

17. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

The PS3 sucks compared to a 8800 series, stroke away.

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

*strokes my older 8800GTX*

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

EVGA for one. I know they'll support it to a point, unless you totally n00bed the card up and killed it. I've also taken stock solutions off BFG's cards in the past too, but reinstalled it for RMA when I had a problem with the card's RAM going bad.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Check the Samsung website to see if they are sampling yet. I can't answer that.

Tags: Add Tags