1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: J. Le. Quickie Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by THEkorean, 3 Apr 2008.

1. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

Before people kill me, I assure you I'm still working on Gearbox just been busy with school and getting into college (going to UC Berkeley this fall :thumb: ) . But I got some raw materials the other day so Gearbox will be updated over my spring break (Starting next week).

Ok now on to the mod. This is a quickie mod for my girlfriend who's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks. She needs a computer and I have some old parts lying around so I decided to build her one. The only thing I bought was a Coolermaster Centurion real cheap from the local shop.
    Im shooting for simplicity and elegance here.
    On the top panel is going to be a cutout of a tribal flower with her initials. then I'm going to back it with frosted plexi and light it with a few LEDs. Simple and elegant no? Here are the pics:
    [​IMG]

Popped off the top panel:
    [​IMG]

This is the design I'm going to be using:
    [​IMG]

Drawn onto the panel (reversed so I can cut from the inside out):
    [​IMG]

Now I gotta dremel or scroll saw it really.. carefully.... starting tomorrow hopefully.

Stay tuned for updates :)

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The scroll saw will totally mangle the line in the center of the petals. -In fact, you might need to dremel MOST of it. That's a really delicate pattern.

3. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

Thanks for the tip, I was having doubts about the scrollsaw too. I'll keep that in mind

4. _-..zKiLLA..-_

_-..zKiLLA..-_ What's a Dremel?

wow man good luck cutting it out, how bit is it? u cant really tell in the picture, maybe like 2 widths of tape, not sure

5. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

That's a neat design, it should look great if you take it slow and easy with cutting. No doubt she'll love it.

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Nice design. Almost like a tat. Cool
    John

7. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

coaping saw might be a better and safer option, looks intricate.

8. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

+1 if its aluminum.
    If its steel, well, hope its thin steel.

Design looks nice, intricate, but still small and simple.

9. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

the design is about as large as my clenched fist and I cut 13 of it with the dremel. It didnt come out perfectly clean but it wasnt bad either (I'll upload the picture later because Im not home right now) I might have to invest in a coping saw for the even smaller sections.

10. Cheapskate

Files will work better than a coping saw. You don't have to take them apart every 30 seconds.

11. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

@ jhanlon303:
    haha, it's because it is a tat: google search = tribal flower > links to a tatoo shop

@500mph:
    It is steel :( but I beat it :) . Btw I'm going to take your hat and you cant come after me because there is not submarine sized body of water near me. Eat it

@Cheapskate:
    Figured that out through trial and error haha. Thanks for the tip anyways, helpful and always

Update:
    I took to the pannel with the dremel and standard cutting disks. 20 disks and a crapload of dust later I have something like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I didn't bother attempting the smaller curly things because were insanely hard to cut to begin with.
    (NOTE: if you are planning to do this with a dremel like me, save the disks once they get small, those are very useful for tight turns and corners.)

I filed the edges (took freaking forever as the panel turns out to be steel and not aluminum as I thought). Then I cut a rectangular sheet of plexi real quick, frosted it with 150 > 400 grit paper and masking taped it to the back to see what it looked like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not too bad

Things left to do:
    -Wire up LEDs
    -Instal a switch for the LEDs
    -Stealth the CD drive

Oh and if you are wondering about the specs, its an old P4 machine that I had received as payment for a system assembly (from a friend) with parts scavenged from and old HP PC and other used parts:
    3.0 Intel P4 processor + Zalman CPU cooler
    512 MB of DDR RAM
    2x 80 GB hard drives
    CD-RW drive
    Coolermaster Centurion case
    420W Foxconn PSU

Total cost of mod: ~$60

Last edited: 7 Apr 2008
  12. Cheapskate

You might need to put the plexi on top to keep the points from snagging clothes/stabbing your GF. Don't give her a reason to be pissed at you.:D

13. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Those cuts look great. I must say you pulled it off quite well.
    Cheapskate has the right idea. Mad girlfriends are no fun.

Sudo give me my hat back

14. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

@Cheapskate and 500mph:
    Shiet! you guys are so right but im an idiot and already riveted the panel back on. Oh well.. I guess Ill just tell her to be realyl careful and hope for the best.

Btw wheres what it looks like with LEDs in the dark:
    [​IMG]

Tags: