1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Wii Fit strengthens your rights

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

With the Wii taking off so well with younger gamers not so bothered by things like the UT3 engine, Source Engine, etcetc, why should developers continue pouring money into developing games that beat the hell out of peoples systems, when they can make a larger profit on a 2D puzzle game with unbelievably irritating waggling of controls, or jumping on an expensive bit of white plastic?

Nintendo; single handedly dismantling the desire for powerful graphics engines.

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

totally agree, nintendo has shown that graphics only make a gaming look good, it has no bearing on how it plays.

Thank god for nintendo! games should always be focused on gameplay

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Agreed, I like shiny graphics as much as anyone (well, not too shiny cos that looks lame) but gameplay (and story depending on the game) are way more important. I think people should also start realising that good graphics don't have to be uber realistic with HDR and bloom blasting into your face, games like No More Heroes and Katamari have fantastic graphics.

5. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

i'm a nintendo fan boy so i'm going to buy this anyway... but i do either way consider this a game. so what if it is a simulator? every game is simulating something whether that something is driving a car or gunning down zombies. sure actually doing fitness routines without a console is easier to do than strapping a lawn mower to your chest and charging at a zombified populus, but it is still a game

6. Major

Major Guest

I'm a hardcore PC gamer, but I also love my Nintendo games and always have done, Mario Kart Wii right now is taking up all my time, and SSBB will do too I guess.

Nintendo have never had the best graphics (although Goldeneye back in the day was pretty impressive). Of course Nintendo games with HD graphics would be awesome, but it's not how they work.

7. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

OH CHRIST! This isn't one of those adapt or die scenarios is it? Is *proper* gaming as we know going to have to make way for this casual, simplistic, bland, hollow, tacky white plastic shite?!

I have no desire to beat my grandmother at tennis or to jump around waggle a plastic stick around like some kind of freaking moron. If this nonsense is the future of gaming then I'm going to kill myself now. Yeah sure Ninty are very innovative and make some excellent games, but I happen to like traditional, down-to-earth western-style games. I don't want to lose that just because Myamoto thinks he can take the reigns of the entire industry.

I don't care either way about graphics. Crysis maxed out is awesome, but OpenTTD and Baldur's Gate 2 will always be my favourites! Its the systematic dumbing down and indeed watering down of proper gaming experiences that I take offence to. Games of the future will be so ridiculously easy and bland (so as to appeal to as many people as possible) that all the fun will be sapped out of them.

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

You do know it's aright to like both don't you?
    It doesn't make you any less a man if you also like playing some Nintendo games, it doesn't mean you have a small penis either, it just means you like both.

I'm sorry if this doesn't apply to you, but you do appear to be over compensating for something.

9. Major

Major Guest

I have no desire to buy a 360 either, doesn't mean it's ****. It's just because I'd never buy one.

The Wiimote is another way of playing games, you do relise some games on the Wii are actually made for the intended use of the GC controller, and these games can have a very high skill level (Mario Kart, SSB).

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

+1. agree that i prefer to be playing more mature games that require a certain amount of skill and challenge (except when on the bus playin on me NDS)

however, I don't agree with liratheal here.

the dismantling the desire for powerful graphics engines is partly the cause of games like crysis. Spend several hundred on a PC to play crysis, causing gamers to want an acceptable yet affordable solution. Heck, even the PS3 on release date is more affordable than a decent games PC. Cheaper alternatives cash in.

11. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I agree with that nintendo guy... whenever a politician tries to ban games just remind him of his wii.

12. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

Man.... I hope you realize that that the origin of gaming was to the masses as bars and restaurants and at a quarter a pop. It was high and mighty people that made it n exclusive subculture, where only the 1337 would survive. Even in my hard core games, I still play casually. I mean unless your competing in tournaments, you are really only playing casually.

I enjoy playing TF2, BF2, Warhammer, WCIII, and hell even some StarCraft still. But the Wii is damn entertaining to play. I mean there is no better way to just have fun casually then getting people in Rayman Raving Rabbids. So what if its not 'serious gaming'. It's point is to have fun. Besides, consider with all the money Nintendo has made from the sales of this system. Imagine how much leverage they have with getting some bleeding edge graphics the next time around.

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think he's right.

It's going to be a lot harder for people to mindlessly decry "evil video games" when they or their friends are playing them too. Maybe not the same games, but still....

A lot of the opposition to video games is a form of bigotry based on ignorance and stereotypes. A lot of people think all videogames are a mindlessly violent waste of time played by antisocial and potentially violent boys. As more and more people experience gaming some of these stereotypes will begin to melt away.

You can imagine this conversation...

"Videogames are ruining our children, we MUST ban them!"

"Oh, shut up Ethel, you're just pissed because I beat you at Wii Tennis again"

One final thought for Zut...

Life is an adapt or die scenario. Think about it.

14. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

survival of the wiiest?

15. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

a lot of people seem to like nintendo in here because of they're disregard for push the limits graphically and instead focusing on gameplay, but really, how are they improving gameplay at all when they're never EVER trying anything new? How many none franchise (and well selling) games are available on the xbox or ps3? then compare that with games on the wii. Best sellers for wii are 'safe' games built on bloody mario and bloody zelda with pretty much the same character control system they've used since N64, same story, same cast, using the same items and collecting the same gold stars as ever. How is that innovative gameplay? Its not.

Now look at how reselling franchise games is done correctly: Final Fantasy

Since 7, every new game has had a completely different system for how your character attacks, uses magic and items and has had enormously different story lines (ok, with similar predictable plot twists but still...), different settings and main characters. People keep buying new games from that franchise because they expect the same quality of game as the rest, not the same story/gameplay/characters. Compare FF8 and FF9. What have they got in common? Just a name, chocobos and quality.

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I read an MSN article earlier in the week that I sort of agree with:

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Apr 2008
  17. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Best. Movie. Ever.

18. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

pff.. Wii is great, 360 is great ..both have their niche.. neither is going away .. my $.02

19. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Haha I just watched that the other week.

Also, +1 to cthippo, exactly what I was thinking when I read the article.

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm not allowed to point out it was a flymo, not a lawnmower, am I?

Tags: Add Tags