1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant O2 Shops....

Discussion in 'General' started by Fishlock, 4 May 2008.

1. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I've just had an arse of a morning...

I wake up with the intention to go and buy an 8GB iPhone from a local O2 shop around half a mile away from me. So I arrived there to be told they hadn't any in stock, they then phoned up the Deal branch (around 15 miles away) to check if they had any in stock, and alas they did! So one was kept behind for me... off i go to Deal. I arrive there and the women quickly goes off to the back of the shop, and returns with said gleaming, brand new iPhone in hand, at this point i was a happy bunny.

But no... when it comes to paying for it, she told me they do not accept Visa Electron, as they can't secure my name against it, what the hell does that mean?! So I said that's fine, I'll go get the cash out, NO! They don't allow people to buy iPhones by cash, because they need to keep my details on their computers. Of course at this point I'm fuming, and nearly shoved the phone up her arse. After a nice, slightly heated row with the women I drove home, perhaps slightly fast... and when I get in a friend tells me that CarPhone warehouse now stock them. So I phoned them up to make sure they did, and got them to reserve one for me (the carphone warehouse is half a mile down the road, and i know they accept Electron cards). I was now on my way to the warehouse shop, very happy in the knowledge that i had finally sorted this out, and will have my hands on an iPhone, ready to unlock.

BUT NO! I get there to be told that the last one was apparently sold just after I got off the phone, that they couldn't keep one behind for me, and i think if it wasn't for the fact that the person who told me built like an ogre, I probably would have punched him.

So... there's my rant! Sorry for boring you. :wallbash:

I just want an iPhone... :(

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

No cash payments on card, The reason people don;t take electron as its one of the cards that cost the most when the banks process transactions. Its a useless card IMO.
    As for the iphone, your **** outta luck if you can find one, they are EOL now and basically Carphone warehouse litterally took all the stocks avail in the country.

I brought three, but the last one took 3day as i had to wait for one of the final shipments to arrive.
    I was told that you can buy one from the Apple store(£269) then go back to o2 for a £100 cashback, but your gonna be stuck with a rather expensive contract.

I think you wont get one as central London are completely clear of them now, im pretty sure they are golddust now.

Sounds like you had a shite day, chill out dude.

3. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Well the branch i went too had 8 in stock, It's just a case of waiting until my Dad can come with to buy it for me, then I'll give him the money, but that won't be for a week...

4. atanum141

Thats the thing, one whole week, Alot can happen in a week.
    Either mug someone for the money now or loose the chance to own one.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Why the hell do you have a Visa Electron? A library card is more useful compared to one of those things...

Really? Where did you bring them? ;)

6. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

I believe they wont be restocking anymore till the new version comes out. The £169 price tag was a gag to clear their stock. Even 16gb ones are sold out now.

7. fev

fev Industry Fallout

ok here's a rant back:
    Electron cards?! Why do you have one? They're a pain in the arse for us retail folk

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

What's wrong with electrons? except the fact that they don't work in all places and work painfully slowly in others. AFAIK there are no real options for young folks...

And also: maybe you should just understand the signs and not get yourself an iPhone!

EDIT: And oh, not accepting cash is something I don't understand at all! What details and WHY should they keep on their computers?

9. fev

fev Industry Fallout

it's to stop the mass buying an unlocking of the things to sell en masse.
    clever system, works well on the most part

10. atanum141

When a transaction is processed at a retailers, the electrons have the highest transaction charge a bank has to pay. Thats why retailers dont take it, and mainly its used for kids.

11. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

It's just ****ing stupid that you can't go into a shop and buy a phone without being asked your life story. i have an electron because It's what Barclays gave me years ago, and I've never bothered, or until now, needed to change it.

12. fev

fev Industry Fallout

if i sold you a phone and it was then used for some sort of terrorist attack or used for any kind of crime, I think the police would like to know who bought it.

13. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

if RTT is doing it... how many women were there, the sentence seems to make sense if there was only one woman
    sorry

but anyway .... I haven't bought a new phone in years; you have a fair rant though.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Hahaa there we go! F' the mass-buying and unlocking the iPhones, it boils down to the F'ing terrorist-BS again :clap:

15. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

I broke my phone. But i'm not paying money to be cool.

16. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

The reason they are doing these checks is because they are being taken to mainland Europe and Asia to be sold on the grey market. Apple has a trademark in these countries which makes them and their official retailers the only ones who are legally allowed to sell any apple products. They have these security precautions to make it hard to buy an iphone; limiting the supply of the grey market. They keep track of what card you use and will only let you buy a certain amount with each card, ever(in apple stores this is 5). If they allow you to use cash or some other form of unidentifiable payment source they will have a larger amount being bought for the sole purpose of being sold again on the grey market.

If they were to allow cash, even with rules of who employees are allowed to sell iphones to, they will be selling them much more against company policy as a sales person gets a percentage of each sale(or they could be bribed for that matter). The company would then not be able to track who they sold it to which is why currently you need to fill in your postal and email address.

17. fev

fev Industry Fallout

well i work for orange so i don't sell iphones.

But we do ask for your details when we sell you a phone, get back to me when you live in a country which might actually get attacked due to it's stupid government.

18. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

Most terrorists are "smart" enough to get their phones in a slightly different way... When you read in the paper that phones were traced to this or that guy, you can be sure it won't be because they found his address on a shop's computer ;)

The only stores that know my address are those that deliver my stuff. Anyone else can f' off or follow me after I've left the store. I'm all for security (duh) but a retailer has no need for my details. The authorities have enough info if they ever need to talk to me (even though last time they went to my previous address :hehe:), I am sure they can do without the help of Curry's counter clerk.

Just that would put me off the iPhone altogether, to be honest. How about you buy my Nokia 1100? It's cheaper, I take cash (****, I'll take Electron if you insist) and I won't send you advertising in the post afterwards.

19. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

He-he, so true!

20. fev

fev Industry Fallout

you're right, it's easy to figure out where you are within a couple of metres as well as the phone you were using.
    But when it comes to prosecuting those involved you still need to prove who provided the equipment required.

PS. Nokia 1100, no thanks I need my phone to do more :p

Tags: