1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: "PSP needs more new games"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They need to stop porting normal console games over and start using the PSP's features to make decent games. That's one of the reasons why homebrew has skyrocketed imho - without any big games people are turning to making their own/running emulators of other consoles just for something to use.

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

ummm...PSP's features? what features? it's a PS2 in disguise.

4. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

MP3 player, Mobile video, mobile browser, picture viewer, wireless access, etc. I love my psp. I love my DS though. I had the feeling that devs were spending too much time on the DS and not enough on the PSP. They're cranking out crappy games on the DS quicker than you can say "overkill"

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Who needs more games? ScummVM Cheesecake!

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Not more, new, is the important word in that sentence.

7. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

if only they'd actually released gran turismo on it, GT sells consoles. theres no doubt about that. or a mtal gear solid that didnt involve weird cards

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

What they should do is provide an official emulator for the psp so you can play psone and PS2 games on it.. that would be a start.. it would also be nice if it had a proper digital distribution model.. it might also be nice if they acknowledged some of the better homebrew games and feature them (kinda like steam does with indie games). my 2cents.

P.s: would also like to see msn/yahoo messenger and youtube, and winamp remote compatibility :)

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I havent really played with either of my PSPs, lol I should turn both in and upgrade to the Slims so I can hook it up to my TV but ya I havent touched them in a while should go out and see whats out that might interest me.

well you can if you have a PS3, not sure about PS2 games but I know you can do that with the PS1 games.

Last edited: 12 May 2008
  10. koola

koola Minimodder

Not missing any 'lack of games' as I've been playing homebrew games an awful lot :D

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Seems like it would make a nice PDA

12. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I love my PSP, but unfortunately I only have three games that I still play (Namely Crisis Core, Harvey Birdman, and Patapon). There's enough geek potential on the homebrew scene to keep me hooked for a long while more, but more games would definitely be welcome.

13. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

OMG Sony! You've got it! Thats not to say goods games are unavailable. They are just being released infrequently. We need a better GTA, Gran Turismo, a proper MGS release (something to complement MGS4 or a remake of originals) and maybe even a playable Crash Bandicoot...

14. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I am happy with the direction the PSP has gone. It has allowed me to enjoy alot of what the PSOne and PS2 has and have had to offer in the past. Final Fantasy Tactics, and Disgaea:Afternoon of Darkness are great remakes/ports, along with games like Generations of Chaos, and Monster Hunter Freedom. Having the "portable" version of a full scale game on PSP no longer means you get a heavily scaled back game graphically and content wise, and when it comes to a spin-off title based on a main series it can be fully presented on the PSP Platform without "feeling" like a handheld title. Dunno if that last sentence made any sense but games like Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops are what I'm referring to.

15. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

The best games for the PSP have been games developed for the psp, accepting its limitations and creating a game play specifically for a small screen.

Patapon and LocoRoco are in my mind good examples of this. God of war: Chains of Olympus (correct me if i'm wrong here) is also a good example of a game specifically developed for the psp, but at the same time taking a genre/story from an existing game on the ps2.

Porting games helps to keep a good number of titles on the shelves, and is fine for the likes of Tiger Woods 08 etc... But the psp simply isn't made for handling content rich games such as the Need for Speed franchise, where heavily cut down versions are produced to enable them to run on the low powered machines.

It's one of only 2 key handheld game systems, and I'd like to see more money going into the development of titles specifially planned for the psp.

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

If only Sony would embrace the homebrew community (instead of frustrating it) I bet the number of great easily available, free, add-ons and increased functionality would be amazing. That would sell these way faster than Sony's proprietary approach (how can the "U" in "UMD" mean universial when only the PSP uses it?)

17. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Yea.. but who in their right mind would buy a PS3 to play pd1 and ps2 games on it? The reason i suggested it for the psp is because it basically IS a ps2. And it would be great to be able to take all your favorite games from the full size consoles with you wherever you go. As Tyinsar said, Sony should really embrace the homebrew community. Not only would that revitalise the PSP but it would also provide a much needed reputation boost for Sony. I have the PSP slim. I've had it since it came out. I've bought about 10 games, 5 of them were playable but only 2 were good enough to make me complete them. IMO this is a very sorry state of affairs. I've gotten to the point now that I'm really considering buying a service battery, downgrading and getting homebrew. If that happens Sony would probably never get another penny from me. :sigh:

18. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Beast from the North

What they need is to convince Capcom to release Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G in English.

That would make my day.

Tags: Add Tags