1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Suitable Laptop Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matticus, 2 Jun 2008.

1. Matticus

Matticus ...

Right so I got

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-81683601-81927552.html

This morning. Very nice looking laptop, very quick despite being a Turion (I know they arent that bad, but they arent a core2duo) I am just a little concerned about the heat. I had it on my knee while lounging on the sofa earlier and I was feeling a little flush, so I put the laptop on a pillow to stop it from cooking me, but obviously this restricted the airflow somewhat. So I thought I would do some tests and post them here, all temps recorded with HW monitor, Gpu temp checked against GPUZ. I ran each test 2 times and averaged, didn't see any point in doing 3 tests, tests 1 and 2 where within 1 degrees idle and 2 degrees load.

Basically...Are these temps OK?

Idle, sitting on my bed Sitting on my bed to simulate halfway between on knees/lap and on a pillow.

THRM (whatever that is) 55C

Core 0 53C
    Core 1 55C

Gpu Core 69C

Idle, sitting on desk Desk allows for better airflow

THRM 49C

Core 0 47C
    Core 1 49C

Gpu Core 64C

Load, sitting on my bed

THRM 86C

Core 0 83C
    Core 1 86C

Gpu Core 79C

Load, sitting on desk

THRM (whatever that is) 75C

Core 0 72C
    Core 1 75C

Gpu Core 72C

Hard drive remained at 45-47C throughout.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds fine tbh mate - as long as it works stably, the temps aren't a worry. :)

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

That was quick, cheers for that.

I wouldn't normally ask but I just have very little experience with laptops, and I didn't want to be sitting there with it on my lap on a pillow (to protect my valuables from being poached) and be overheating the poor thing.

Also yeah even while running orthos on Blend, and running RTHDRIBL maximised on a 1280x800 res, I could still open and close folders and easily do my screenshots (too lazy to jot things down). So I suppose it really isnt a problem. Thanks again for putting my mind at ease.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It can be quite frightening to look at the temps with speedfan - but the truth is that most components cope well with quite high temps. It's not been that long since we had Athlon XP's with temps of 50'C being commonplace for a desktop. It's all relative, and a lot of people were spoilt with A64's. :)

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I would definitely recomment one of the laptop coolers for going in between the heat source and your "valuables".

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Ha, that's right, definitely not! I've got one currently running under my desk.

Before I un-dusted the heatsink, I was getting load temps about 60C. I cleaned it because I started getting BSODs... Now my load temps are in the 55's, no instabilities.

7. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

May I suggest you treat yourself to a lap-top tray/bed table (this kind of thing - only cheaper!!) for when you're sitting with it on/in your bed... and using a set of Cool Feet on the laptop itself.

As you can see... the 'Cool Feet' are only a tenner (plus P&P), but as well as angling the laptop towards you slightly (the rear feet are taller than the front feet), they allow for better airflow under the laptop, which obviously helps regarding temps :thumb:

8. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Temps don't worry me, my GPU gets up over 80c in some intense games on my laptop(see sig). I haven't checked the CPU at full load, but it gets up there too.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

There's nothing lap about a laptop, unless you like burn marks on your lap...

10. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Yeah, I remember the first time I ran a temperature monitoring program on my laptop. Scared the crap out of me. To be honest, though, as long as the system is stable, your temperatures are fine. Sure, the parts would all last a bit longer if they ran cooler, but unless you're hoping to run a Turion in 2015, they'll still last plenty long.

The one thing I'd watch out for is the hard drive. If the laptop gets too hot to touch directly on the hard drive, I'd suggest changing your situation slightly. Those things are failure-prone anyway, and since merely using a piece of plywood instead of a pillow would keep things much cooler, there's no reason to let that temperature get out of hand.

11. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Yea, generally a HD shouldn't go over 60C. Otherwise it's life is shortened drastically and data loss might occur.

12. Matticus

Matticus ...

Cheers for the input guys.

I knew that laptops got pretty hot, but that shocked me.

As for the HD, it doesn't go over 50c, and as I type after 2 hours of Half Life 2, on all high settings with 2x AA, trilinear and reflect all at 1280x800 might I add :D, the hard drive is at 43c, and those other temps are all around 65c