1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable N95 8GB Vs. LG Viewty

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mookboy, 5 Jun 2008.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I'm looking to replace my crappy Sony Ericsson with a new mobile - my sole concern is using it for portable internet access. I'm not bothered about the quality of the camera, storage space, media player stuff... just web browsing.

So with that in mind, anyone with either phone shed some light on how they fair in this respect? I'm looking for handson opinions from people who use them day in day out.

N95 8GB seems an awesome phone, nice big screen, loads of features and flexible for use in whatever way I want. But I'm concerned about it's lack of a QWERTY for t'internetting.

Viewty looks lovely, nice big screen, all important touch interface and QWERTY. But lacks some of the grunt of the N95.

N.B The iPhone doesn't figure here as it's pricing and network tariffs are hilariously bad value.

No idea which to go for. Does the Viewty let you use the QWERTY for any text entry, or is it limited to certain applications?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

If it's just internet access then get an iPhone, they have a full browser and pages are rendered properly.

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

See above.

4. dubya01

dubya01 What's a Dremel?

My suggestion would be to wait for the Sony XPERIA X1 - comes out September. Google it - it's an AMAZING phone. QWERTY slide out, GPS, touch screen as well, 3.5mm jack, etc.

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Contract up next month, and 3 have got some really good offers at the moment so I want to get something fairly soon.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Viewty is pish, couldn't recommend it to any one although my complaints are more from a UI and email perspective. Its little things, the email cleint can't cope with more than 300 emails despite being IMAP and not even stored on the phone. Pressing cancel on certain screens slowly draws an arrow on the screen saying "cancelled" with a box to OK, ffs i don't care that it been cancelled just bloody do IT!. The qwerty keyboard isn't accessible under the web browser, its only redeeming feature is that you can install Opera which increases the rendering speed.

7. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

have you looked at any of teh HTC phones? You won't get them on 3, i think only orange and T-mobile do them. I have the Touch Dual, which is pretty awesome... web browing is pretty quick and with the opera browser i'm told its a really good experience...

Orange have some really good deals on witht the HTC touch Dual.

alternatively you could look into the HTC TyTNII

8. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

My problem with Orange was that I am already with them, and their quotes for upgrading at the end of my contract were insane - £175 for the N95 8GB for example! I really like the new HTC phones, but again Orange were just being silly with their costs.

I've now ordered a N95 8GB from 3 - it works out the same price per month than my current contract with Orange (£35), but I get the phone for nowt effectively, with 300 additional minutes, and loads of extra features and services. I'm paying an extra £5 for unlimited internet usage too, with their Silver X-Series package. I'll just transfer my number across. Financially I'm way ahead with 3.

9. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I had that when i was still with Orange

could never understand the reasoning behind charging existing customers more than new customers... Are they actively trying to make people leave? :confused:
    Result: i left years ago and have been happy with T-Mobile ever since

10. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Even the Orange rep recommended I get a new contract due to the crazy cost of the phone.

11. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Me and my manager have both of these phones, actually i sold my N95 which was replaced with a elcheapo iPhone(best browsing of the bunch).

Either way, the N95 gave me options to browse multi pages and obviously use proper browser settings and handle a decent Wifi connection.

The Viewty with its QWERTY is good but sometimes the touch screen lets itself down(if used with a screen protector) but its support of all website based plugins and formats was the better of the two.

But the N95 with aditional plugins and other browsers did overcome these issues also im sorta old skool in the fact that i like the tactile feel of buttons(moot point for the iPhone)

The reason i went for the N95 was simple, Wifi +5MP camera. Sure the LG has a better camera but overall features is looses to the N95.

Try and get the 8gig version as i had the older standard ove and it didn't feel as solid as the newer ones.

Or try and get a cheap 2nd hand iPhone, yes its worth it as i browse on it everyday.

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The issue that I have with just about all phones of today is the screen resolution. No matter of the screen is 1 or 3", it's always the same 320x240 pixels. Sure you can get Nokia E90, N810 or E70, but communicator costs a couple of limbs and the others are just silly... (Xperia may be nice when it eventually gets released, but it won't come cheap either).

Can't really tell about which to get, I've just checked if an affordable one had a larger display than my current one and as none met the requirements, I just kept using the old phone...

13. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

That does indeed look nice. I keep forgetting HTC as it didn't exist when I last were interested in phones :) (atleast didn't see them here..)

EDIT: That Touch Pro doesn't seem to be out yet either? Falls in the same category with Xperia then.

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I am lead to believe the Xperia is actually an HTC anyway from what I've been reading. The HTC devices are great though, especially the newer models with 640x480 screens

16. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I for one love my viewty, just my two cents. :D

17. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Very pleased with my N95. Not as sexy as an iPhone, but it cost a nothing bar a contract and has gallons of features. Love the space on it, the GPS is excellent, camera quality is very good, and the customisation potential and free apps are really cool.

Tags: