1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Halo Wars details emerge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

"it looks like the Halo-inspired RTS may not have gone the way of Duke Nukem Forever after all"

hang on, didn't that footage from last week confirm that duke definitely isn't vapourware?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

So did the original footage that game out in 2000.

4. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Good luck milking this one for all it's worth MS! Yeah, I'm feeling a little Halo-ed out right about now.....

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah there were DNF vids out ages ago at E3 if I remember right, it looked pretty awful

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I quiet like the look of this, and i will get it, i just wish though that it was for PC and not for the 360.

Sam

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

huh I still dont see what so great about Halo to begin with but this at least somewhat looks more interesting.

Also last time I checked DNF is still alive and kicking so it hasnt been canceled yet....

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

what ? what did I miss ?

9. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

The concept of an RTS without multiplayer both confuses and infuriates me!

(It's bad enough people would want to play an RTS without a MB/mouse)

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i for one, has already been lost after Halo2's disastrous ending.

and MS will milk to every last drop, we all know it. to ensure smooth sales, they've even closed down Halogen, a Halo themed mod using CnC Generals engine!
    i understand their motive, but the main reason they closed down i am 100% sure is that they are scared of the PC controls, so they killed it off completely to ensure no comparisons being made

also, that control scheme will not work! no quick selection of grouped units? too much camera orientated stuff and secondary attacks? that means micro and it'll never happen with a controller joystick

Last edited: 10 Jun 2008
  11. rollo

rollo Modder

already haloed out tbh

and halo rts just sounds daft. RTS in general on consoles is stupid , RTS belongs on pc . Bring it out on pc and let it compete agaist the big boys of the RTS world, It will get blown into peaces, 6 player multi wow ( lol) Wake up MS stop milking it and bring out new stuff for us to buy

nuff said

12. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I'm confused, did you miss the whole "The preview also reveals that the game will come with support for up to six player matches over Xbox Live, though online co-op modes will be limited to just two players." part or are you just making a statement that an RTS without multiplayer is a bad idea?

Personally I'm looking forward to this game, I'm not really expecting much in the way of story (generally not usually the selling point of an RTS) but the game play looks decently interesting and as long as they map it to the controller well enough it should be an alright game. Probably won't rush out and buy it straight away but I'll definitely look into renting or playing demo and seeing if it's worth my hard-earned 60$.

Also on every single sort of tech/gadget/gaming blog I've seen 90% of the comments have been "MS is milking the Halo franchise" or "I'm all Haloed out" ... really guys? Four games over the course of eight years and that constitutes "milking" a franchise? Besides anyone would have to be absolutely out of their mind if they turned their back on the absolutely ridiculous sales numbers the previous Halo games have put up.

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Sellout? :eyebrow:

Anyways, have to disagree with Cadillac Ferd on the issue of stories not being a selling point of RTS. I think if you think back to the first C&C games the stories were not the best ever written but at least they had a good one that was new (C&C 1) or old but with nice cut scenes (C&C: Red Alert). It wasn't the only selling point, yes, game play was awesome too back then (tech level 1, rak zero rush :)), but if I remember correctly almost everyone liked the story and hardly anybody I know skipped the videos when playing it through for the first time.

But to get back on topic:

I don't like the idea of RTS on consoles but then again I'm not a consolero anyways. Maybe it rocks... but this one is definitely not a game I'd buy, I don't like Halo. :p

14. rollo

rollo Modder

halo wars on pc please id buy

halo wars on console i wont buy

RTS doesnt belong on console, Red alert proved that much,

15. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Well certainly there have been plenty of RTS's that have had great stories but I just meant as an overall look at the genre that having great gameplay that keeps people playing the game years after the game was released (Starcraft says what?) trumps creating a story people care about. Just my opinion though, I'm sure someone could easily argue that without a compelling story to make the gameplay seem worthwhile that the game would fall apart.

16. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

RTS on consoles is a joke... a buddy of mine rented Starcraft for (I think it was) a Playstation back in the day. Trying to select units with a game controller is an absolute joke. What about grouping units? Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2, etc. How does one do that with a controller? Why butcher great RTS games by putting them on a console?

Tags: Add Tags