1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft: We never cancel games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jun 2008.

1. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Umm, the PS3 has not dropped its price in ages, that has little to do with it, the price of is still more then the 360 and it still outsells it mroe and more ech month.. game purcahse rate is because of a larger insall base, common sense, and the head start means more games, The Ps3 is chaninging that as it catches up.

I am a PC gamer who could care less about either, but seeing the 360 gamer keep changing the excuses as the Ps3 gains steam is annoying.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

From a completely unbiased standpoint, I have to say I much prefer my Xbox 360 to my PS3. My PS3 was bought purely as a Blu-Ray player, and to this day I only have two games for it (Uncharted and Untold Legends: Whatever-it's-called). It's a high-quality DVD player, basically.

Now, when Mirror's Edge gets released that may all change - but I've heard nothing about that being a PS3 exclusive so far. Given a multiformat title, I'll always buy the Xbox 360 version unless there's a very compelling reason not to - such as the X360 version being broken in important ways.

At the end of the day, it's personal preference. I prefer the Xbox 360's controller, I prefer the on-line service (and it's well worth the £40 a year you pay when you look at how polished it is compared to the free services on PS3 and Wii), and most of my friends are playing the Xbox 360 versions of games too - important when you want to join 'em for some multiplayer fun. That said, the PS3 is the more 'polished' console - it's a lot quieter when in use, and I like the XMB interface.

I'll tell you one thing that irritates me, though: when the PS3 was launched, I'm sure I remember Sony mocking Microsoft because the Xbox 360 was 720p only. Now, that's changed since then - the 360 can now do 720p/1080i via component and 1080p via HDMI, but my PS3 will only go up to 720p on both of the games I own. The XMB runs at 1080p, Blu-Ray runs at 1080p, but both games force down to 720p. Which, when you consider the Xbox 360 will output whatever the hell resolution you request and stick with it for everything except DVD playback, is pretty rubbish.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Interesting from this one source that whilst the ps3 spiked the spread between the two seems fairly constant. (i know one source does not a trend make but...)
    Thats hardware sales:
    http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php...=X360&reg3=All&start=39243&end=39607&weekly=1

If some one could point me to the "must have" games for each platform we could try and work out an approximate attachment rate which would be interesting from a slightly geeky pov.

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Surely this has gone on long enough.

NEITHER IS PERFECT, BOTH HAVE THEIR FANBASE. Drop it.

5. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Can you please tell me how many of those supposed 1080p 360 games are 1080p natively? Also, just like I asked Lucidity, how is the XBL any better "gameplay-wise" than the PSN or Wii-network?

6. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Exactly, there really are none.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Where did I say that they were 1080p natively? I said the Xbox 360 outputs 1080p, not that the game is rendered internally at 1080p. By contrast, the PS3 - at least, on the two games mentioned in my post and which are the only two PS3 games I'm able to comment on - outputs at 720p, again regardless of what is happening internally. What irritates me isn't what the game is doing internally - hell, Halo 3 isn't even 720p internally - but what the console is sending to the TV. My TV - and I appreciate that this may well be because it's cheap crap - doesn't much like changing from one format to another on the fly, and I have to stare at a jarring blue screen for a good few seconds when I load one of my PS3 games. That simply isn't an issue with my Xbox 360.

Well, you can discount the Wii due to the ridiculously cumbersome 'Friend codes'. I'd much rather tell people to add "Capt Blacklaw" than to add "5544 4455 6733 6634" - not to mention needing a different code per game.

As for the PSN, as I understand it there currently is no option for voice chat outside games - with the Xbox 360 I'm able to see that a friend is online, talk to him directly, agree on a game we both want to play, and then continue to talk to him while we load the game and enter the multiplayer lobby. I can then talk to him and everyone else while we play the game, and continue to talk to him after we get bored and load a different game. When I checked, this simply wasn't possible on the PSN, and resulted in several people I know having their Xbox 360s on with no game loaded in order to chat to friends while playing PS3 games - which is ridiculous.

8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

on PS3 you can have 6-way video/voice chat while in the XMB. ive done it many times.

9. Gareth Halfacree

In that case, I'm either mis-remembering or I've been lied to. I've never actually tried it for myself.

I'm going on (amongst other things) a post to the uk.games.video.misc group in which a user states:
    Is this no longer the case, then?

10. devdevil85

Gareth, I was just asking the question. Secondly, the fact that you have to stare at a jarring blue screen for a good few seconds is like swatting at flies for reasons to hate it. My friend's TV takes literally half a second to change between formats. Hell, my projector does the same thing when switching between sports and other channels with my cable box and I hardly notice it.

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

now youre talking about in-game? before you said out of a game

and as I said you can have 6-way video/voice chat.

in-game you can talk to people if the game allows you. it doesnt allow you to talk to people who arent in same room as you. its according to how game devs do it. and personally i think thats alot better. by being able to talk to anyone on your friends list at any time could result in major cheating.

another thing i find useless in XBL is the sending invites from a game to someone who is playing a different game. if im playing a game i dont want to be bothered by that. that would be annoying.

but whatever. ive got my ps3 and im happy and thats what counts.

12. TimB

TimB What's a Dremel?

I just have to say that I love how everyone is going back and forth about how the 360 is better... no the PS3 is better.. yet no one mentions the little guy, the console that was touted as a "novelty" by Sony, the Wii- that is completly destroying them both. lol

13. Gareth Halfacree

I was referring back to a thread I participated in back in November 2007. I remembered that there was a reason I formed the opinion (yes, opinion - not fact) that the PSN was in some ways less polished compared to XBL, and obviously mis-remembered the details. It wasn't out-of-game chat that was missing - it was 'background chat' that was the deal-breaker. My apologies if I mislead. Now I've found the thread and refreshed my memory, I have re-affirmed my opinion that voice chat on the Xbox seems better implemented than on the PS3 - the ability to organise a game with a friend and then continue to talk to them even if you're doing different things is pretty neat.

Aye, which was sort of my point. I have both a PS3 and an Xbox 360 (and a Wii, for that matter) and I'm happy. You don't have to just have one console, y'know.

I didn't say I hated it. I said it irritated me, which it does - it's something the PS3 does for no apparent reason, and which the Xbox 360 proves is unnecessary. In fact, I don't hate the PS3. I wouldn't have bought one if I hated it. I have expressed a preference for the Xbox 360, but that's purely personal opinion - I haven't at any point claimed one console is 'better' than the other.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2008
  14. devdevil85

IMHO, the Wii is a forgettable console. It is worth playing that 3-4 times during the year for maybe a week each time when Nintendo decides to put out a game they've developed. I enjoy the polls that are offered, but the games just aren't fun unless you have 4+ people playing (which for a lot of gamers is not possible). Of all the consoles I see, the Wii is the most dusty.

15. devdevil85

Not everyone has the money to own both either. They have bills, a g/f, going to college, etc. and that is why, for me, I am going with the console I feel is more geared towards my entertainment needs. That of course is the PS3, which is why I hate it when 360-owners/lovers decide to spout off statements as if they are fact and then either provide no "IMO", examples for why they think something or evidence to back stuff up.

Sorry, let me rephrase that: the fact that you say you have to stare at a jarring blue screen for a "good few" seconds is like swatting at flies for reasons to feel irritated by it..

I don't understand why that annoys you so much? Usually when it's doing that it's in the process of loading up a screen you've seen 100's of times anyways. That is the reason why I don't see your point of making it out to be a "flaw". It's not like it's doing it while in-game....

Gareth, I'm glad you own both consoles. That way you at least can say you've used both of them without saying something about either console, yet while having no experience of it whatsoever. Luckily for me, I'm able to enjoy all 3 consoles this generation at my g/f's house or at my friend's houses.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2008
  16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

ya, i dont have the money to buy the 360 or wii. i wouldnt buy the wii anyways, but if i had tons of money i'd get a 360.

i must admit ive only played a 360 maybe once or twice for a very short time and in that time i played it crapped out on me like 4 times. lol. but it was at a store so i guess that is expected. :)

17. Gareth Halfacree

True, very true. Although I have bills, a wife, a cat, I still managed to save the money to buy all three consoles from this generation (plus the DS and the PSP). That may or may not have something to do with my addiction to New! Shiny! things.

I admit it. I need help.

18. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

A mate of mine has an Xbox360 but I won't buy one because I don't have the money for it and I wouldn't buy something that has had so many problems (RROD), I do own an original Xbox though.

By what method are you able to cheat by talking to your friends?
    If you mean in FPS games by telling them where other players are then I guess real world soldiers cheat when they radio enemy locations to each other. :p

If you don't want to be interrupted while playing a game either unplug the ethernet cable or go into your profile and select 'appear offline' or maybe there is another option if that still gets you annoying messages on screen.

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

well you could get a friend on the other team to tell you where the enemies are.

Or if it is round based games with no respawn and your friend is dead and can look at other players could tell you where enemy is.

Though im not sure there is any game on 360 that would be like that and most shooters are respawn.

Tags: Add Tags