1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP / Vita Would I like a PSP?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 4 Jul 2008.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

ok, for me this is sacreligious, it goes against all i believe....I've never been a fan of the PSP, always seen it as a playstation 2 portable...thing is....i've grown tired of the kiddy games on my ds. there's only so much cooking bloody mama i can take. and only so many times i want to pwn my brain. so...tell me...would i actually enjoy a psp? i've grown to love the extra featuers my ds can do. i got a load of homebrew apps like ipod player, some homebrew games, personal organiser, document reader, the lot. it's really nice. can i get these same extra features for the psp?

game wise, the only thing so far i desperately wanna play on the psp is...ghouls and ghosts....i like the pain. really i do. also wanna have a few more action games, something more mature like...not GTA cuz i don't like GTA...like metal gear...and maybe some RPGs...like not zelda cuz i didn't like zelda DS....

is there any particular version of psp which is better than the other? and how much would games cost? how much is a second hand one likely to be?

lotsa questions...but maybe i might do this thing...

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

It's all been covered before, have a search on it. I'd say from the above that yes, you would like one. Need custom firmware for the homebrew stuff, but that is easily done.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i sold my PSP; something i later regretted, and i bought another. lol. still need to get me some custom firmware action happening on it, though - slim ones need a pandora battery.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm just getting back into mine. As a gaming device it leaves a lot to be desired, but as an all round little games, video, music and internet device it is worth a look if you can spare the cash. Homebrew isn't as easy as on the DS, nor is there as much a variety, but it's there if you want it.

5. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

homebrew usually kills all the good options that get added through updates and newer ones are harder to homebrew. and as an internet viewer, some, not all pages are too bi to view, doesnt have enuf memory

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

homebrew doesn't kill anything lol, new custom firmwares normally follow shortly after official ones.

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

As a media player, it's nothing special; certainly no better than even a standard Zune. As a game-playing device, it might even be considered worse. As Joe said, the PSP has a weak catalogue of games.

In spite of that, there are a few shining gems. My top game picks for the PSP are Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

yeh i hear alot about this monster hunter thing. having never owned a PSX or PS2 that probably means theres a huge ass collection of games waiting for me right? i remember reading somewhere that sony were offering a download service for PSone games. did that ever happen? i wouldn't mind playing oldies like resi evil, street fighter, dark stalkers, mgs, silent hill, crash and spyro (yeh, ok i kinda enjoyed spyro, it was cute)

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Yes. In fact, if you go homebrew, you can chuck an iso of a PS1 game on a memory stick and play it directly.

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

where can i download games from? i'm talkin legit games here before someone bans me! and how big are those games?

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You can legitimately download them through PSN on a PS3.

Yeah, I know.

It's one reason I run homebrew, as I already have the games.

I think something like Destruction Derby is 22MB, but then something like FFVII would be a fair size.

I'd recommend either a 4GB or 8GB memstick. (8GB from here when they get them in).

12. samuraizero

samuraizero What's a Dremel?

my psp has been gathering dust for a while now, but supposedly capcom may actually be finally releasing devil may cry on it soon... it may get used again

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The FF CD's are all full... The images work out at about 530MB each (with compression), so they're fairly beasty! Worth it though.

Oh, btw fod, do the slim and normal PSP's take the same battery? If they do I could pandora yours up for you.

14. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Takes 5 mins to make on and use it - no biggie

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages, trust me, and there is usually an updated CFW shortly after an official release.

Opens a very large variety of games :thumb:

Get one, homebrew it, love it. The browser isn't all that great but the MP3 player is decent and with homebrew you open up a vast amount of usefulness with it. Have fun.

15. koola

koola Minimodder

I've been playing all the classic NeoGeo and CPS games on mine rather than mame on the mac. Having all my PSP games as CSO on the memory stick is also convenient.

I use it a lot actually, really good investment.

16. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

thanks for the offer, but after posting here i ordered a spare battery to hack up off ebay

17. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

As a PSP owner since the week it was released - I'd recommend it. If you are a relatively 'advanced' user, exploit the vast homebrew scene for all it's worth. Homebrew solutions on the PSP use the device to it's full potential, introducting features Sony simply can't (ISO's XMB integration, ect..)

It's a great device, but you need to know how to tap into all its potential before it really shines.

/$0.02

18. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i do kinda wish id never sold my psp, while there arent many games, mose of the games are good ones so its not as bad as it may seem. i do think it makes a great little internet device too for quick web browsing

19. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

If I had the money I would get a PSP, even for just the Final Fantasy games, I have seen at least half a dozen games I would like.

20. superpooper

superpooper What's a Dremel?

PSP is a brilliant console.

I'm a hardened nintendo fan also... but what the DS doesn't do, the psp does, and vice versa.

it's AMAZING for movies. I watch tons of downloaded anime on mine.

Tags: