News Intel announces Centrino 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

Big Brother: coming soon, on a laptop near you!

3. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

also has support for a gimped xfire

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

btw, it's Qosmio (2nd to last para).

Sounds amazing. The proof is in the testing though, i.e. how much longer a battery will last.

5. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

vpro sounds awesome, wish my clients had it
    can't wait, will def get next 15.4 dell xps with centrino 2

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Gogo gadget macbookpro refresh before my trip :<

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I forsee vPro being hacked and turning into a mahoosive security headache. Prediction: FAIL

8. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

"a hardware-based virtual operating system that allows corporations remote access to perform security checks and maintenance on their laptops, even if the main operating system is hosed beyond repair."

Even if the OS did get fried (god only knows how you manage that) cooperation's always use domain controllers which means they loose no data, it would simply be a case of sticking in a disk, or even not even that with network install capabilities of today.

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Sounds good, especially the really low power chips and the ability to switch to a discrete GPU for the higher end computers. I presume this will require a restart though?

The original Centrino notebooks didn't actually have g, it was in a similar state to n is now and despite having an a/b/g capable chip Intel decided not to make it part of Centrino.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ah, my fault. I read "twice the speed of older 802.11a/g technologies" in the Intel press release as "twice the speed of our older 802.11a/g technologies."

11. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

1.2ghz dual core with a TDP of only 5.5w, isnt the single core atom about 3w or so? or is this actually an atom processor with centrino branding

12. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

A bit of a side note:
    People have to be careful when buying a new Laptop these days:

If it has 4 Gb of RAM, make sure it comes with Vista 64-bit. The vast majority won't.... :wallbash:

13. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

What's the point?

Most people only use Laptops for internet browsing and typing and whatnot anyway.. There's no need for huge performance, especially not quad core.

I'm not gonna be using quadruple threaded, Gigahertz intensive applications on my laptop.. if I wanna do that, I'll use my PC.

14. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

I can easily see a reason for a high powered laptop, but its definitely a niche product. For me, I would want a 4GB quad core to do portable video editing, such as editing on a shoot. Bring along a 2.5" 320GB external and you've got an extremely portable and powerful editing platform. 90% of the population won't need this kind of power, but damn it, its sure nice to have when you need it, and now that you can a decent fully loaded laptop for under 2k, this kinda power is no longer out of reach.

15. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Most of the low tdp mobile Centrino 2 are dual core processors?

Desktop replacement laptops ...

Stop preaching bollocks 24/7?

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Maybe not for XP or Vista, but what are the specs for Windows 7, which is apparently due shortly/next year (or so)?

'Sup to you what you use a laptop for me old fruit. I think the mobile gaming market is opening up and more laptops with more powerful graphics cards are becoming ever more available, as well as cheaper. It's an unavoidable fact. Even in the UK you can buy a modest gaming laptop for around £5-600, with a powerhouse coming in around the £1,000 mark. People were quite willing to spend many times more that not too long ago for much less performance than can be had today.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Too true. My main laptop - if we discount the Eee - is a Dell Inspiron with 600MHz PIII (which is currently clocked to 550MHz to give me a bit extra battery life) with 256MB RAM (it was supplied with 128MB) and a 20GB drive (again, supplied with a 10GB drive which died the Travelstar death).

When I bought it, which must be eight or nine years ago now, I paid £1470-ish for it. Having said that, I still use it - so even if we count the cost of the extra RAM (£15), hard drive (£60), and battery (£20), that works out to about £180 a year. Not bad, really.

18. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I guess.. But the market is VERY niche.

19. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Stop talking rubbish... dell probably sell thousands of desktop replacement laptops

Tags: Add Tags