1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM June-July POTM Sponsored by OCZ

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Guest-16, 14 Jun 2008.

1. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Should be cool, just switch the competition status to closed at the end of the month, then click Create new comp or whatever it says sometime during August. Bindi I shall pm you with results details. :)

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

k mate thanks.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

votinated. only 8 entries this month?

(tbh, 'emotion' was a pretty lame theme)

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

No, it wasn't. It was pretty hard to find/stage something that would fit the theme, but that doesn't mean the theme was bad.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Lets be a little more positive please and respect people's choices.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I remembered \o/ \o/

Compo closed, winner notified and I'm waiting the response for next months theme. :)

7. OleJ

OleJ Me!

LOL! Congrats :D

8. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I would say any theme is lame if you're not up for the game. Or the other way around: Every theme is cool if you're up for it. Some themes may not hit it with you right away but with a little mind-bending you can take the theme in any direction.

9. Fod

fair enough, i can take that view too. it's just not much of a springboard-theme - doesn't overtly encourage you to think out of the box.

10. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Whereas The Golden Hour, Red, Lines, etc. etc. do?

I think every theme will instantly make us think of something common to our culture: Golden Hour = Sunset, Lines = Railroad... etc. stuff like that. Thinking out of the box is equally challenging. It also includes the challenge of trying to build imagery that works on several levels instead of just the spontaneous. I would say "Emotion" as a theme is perhaps a bit difficult if you want to venture beyond portraiture but I don't think of it as impossible.
    Now this is all easy for me to say now that I haven't participated this month but in all honest I've wanted to skip a month for a while now and I have been traveling so this fit best in for a skip.
    Besides of all that I think it's great with themes that challenge me to think outside the box. I think it would even be interesting to see where people here would take it if we had a theme that was VERY specific. Like "hairbrush" or something. It's always a question of whether you wish/try to see limits as opportunities or opportunities as limits.

11. Fod

well, the problem with 'emotion' is just that - it's very VERY hard to venture beyond portraiture for the amateur photographer. Golden Hour doesn't have to refer to a sunset, and we saw plenty of interpretations of that theme, and Lines is also way more prompting than you suggest.
    allow me to demonstrate what my opinion of an ideal springboard is by suggesting a theme: 'points of view'. i didn't come up with that, i just think it's a good theme, not immediately suggesting a particular photo but forcing the participant to think about an interpretation.
    now there's a springboard.

12. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I think we agree to much extent. I just don't think I'd go as far as saying a theme was lame though. I would more think that I hadn't thought enough about it. What I suggested with "hairbrush" as a theme is that even though we all would end up with images of a hairbrush our photographic ventures would make the differences. Meaning that there are so incredibly many ways at going at the same thing that I'd expect great diversity in results. Being a hobby photographer doesn't mean that it's just point and shoot in my book. And yes I am a hobby photographer (in case anyone ever had a doubt? lol )
    I also believe we've seen some good and diverse shots this month.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just waiting on NzC for next months theme now still :(

14. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

My message has been sent with the theme, and no I won't release it here. Sorry for the delay all.

Nick

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:D Thank you!!

Tags: