1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM August 2008 POTM Sponsored by OCZ

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Guest-16, 1 Aug 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The theme for this month is "Culture" and "points of view"

Choose what you want to use - submit a maximum of two photos of either/and/or theme.

GOGOGOGO.

:rock:

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'd love to "GOGOGOGO".. But my Camera is broked. :(

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Congrats to Nzc!

Culture, huh? That's another tough one. Could turn out to be interesting :)

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Actually... It seems I may have been too quick to judge - we have TWO winners for last month!! Some very last minute voting and me not double checking meant NzC was joint first with Fod. :eeek:

How about two themes this month?

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I'm all for two themes. :)

Will it be two separate competitions, or will we be able to choose between the two?

Maybe make it so that there will be a maximum of one entry per theme per person. (Seeing as two entries are allowed today, this won't bring any changes to the POTM site.)

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

A choice between the two - whatever you want, but a total of two entries max like usual - you can mix and match.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Sounds good! :thumb:

8. Vers

Vers ...

So this means there will be two themes from now on, eh? I say there is a vote between two themes...one from Fod, one from Nzc--winner takes all.

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm going to be a stick in the mud, but I'm not too keen on the idea of having two themes. When I vote, I vote not only on which photograph is better technically, but also for the photograph that best uses the theme. If there are two themes, there may be two photos that are great, but they use different themes.

I'm all for keeping it simple.

-monkey

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

zomg! woot.

right, my theme suggestion stands: "points of view"

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well that's why we have 1-5 scores and that's why life is full of hard decisions. We're not asking you to choose between your children :p

I'm just trying to be fair here and get you all outside.

1) We are not having two themes from now on - ONLY this month because there was two winners last month
    2) You can use either theme - this gives you more CHOICE and should also stop people whinging.

12. Vers

Vers ...

Just to be clear, I feel as though there should be ONE theme and it should be determined through a vote between 'points of view' and 'culture', the theme with most votes sticks. If we split the competition up into two themes there will then be two winners once again...how do you decipher what the next theme will be?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No there won't because people will vote as normal - you simply choose which picture you like best. If we waste time voting there will be more complaining about people not liking the chosen theme and less time shooting.

Jesus you lot love to over complicate things don't you - I'm giving you a choice, the whole point of starting the POTM is to get you out there. We can stop it if it's too much hassle for you all??

14. Vers

Vers ...

Richard, I respect your position as a Staff member...but how can you vote between two themes one time, its like choosing between milk or motor oil. If anything, two themes is over complicating things. TBH, in the end I really could care less...just stating my opinion is all...no need to get all antsie in your pantsie ;)

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

What's so complicated with two themes?

When I vote I try to find which picture fits the theme, and which one looks the best. Sometimes the quality of some photos are very close, but one is always better tan the other. It doesn't really matter what theme it fits into, as long as it fits into one of them.

And it's not like choosing between milk and motor oil. It's more like choosing between milk, and low fat-milk. Some like the former, and some like the latter. Vote for whatever you like. Shouldn't be a problem, should it?

In the end the competition is more fun than a real competition. It's a source of inspiration and challenge for people. So take it easy! No lives is at stake here.

16. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I'm with smilodon on this one. The GF wants low-fat milk and I like medium. Who gives a rat. If the coffee we pour the milk into tastes like crap the milk won't salvage it and vice versa.

And CONGRATS to the two winners. I'm glad Fod got his theme through :D A very BW top 3 this month and all very good.

Here's to an exciting new month with the rich choice between two themes!
    Cheers!

17. Vers

Vers ...

Really? 'Culture' and 'points of view' are related how? Not any more than milk or motor oil and certainly far from milk and low fat milk. I honestly don't really mind what you do in the end but as I said I will voice my opinion and I'll stick with my reasoning :D

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Culture often describe what point of view people have on different matters in society... there you have it. :D

A photograph could also try to explain a cultures point of view on things.

So it is sort of related. Unless you drink motor oil... ;)

Anyway, Who said the themes had to be related? You could still submit two separate photos.

19. Vers

Vers ...

Uhhh...you, when you said its like choosing between milk and low fat milk. The point is, there are two different themes, there should be a winner per theme. How that doesn't make sense to some of you is beyond me.

20. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

I'm down for the two theme session. Its really NOT that complicated. There will be only one winner in the end (unless there is a tie again).

You are still rating the photo based on technical merit and how well it fits the theme. The one that fits both of that the most, is the one you give your highest vote to. Everything else follows.

Tags: