News Crytek: Next engine to debut in 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so, they are saying: after Crysis Warhead, they will be focusing on console solutions, only releasing new engine when new generation of console is availabe.

hopefully Crytek won't be anther developer gone down the route of dumbing down games (graphics, controls and gameplay) for consoles. they NEED to keep pushing the boundary of PC gaming

3. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

yup, sounds like they're going console too

and btw, they're not really going to call it the xbox 720 are they?

4. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Oh great, another console engine that will compete with Unreal 4. Thanks guys, we really needed that. <_<

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ive siad it once and i'll say it again, the xbox was and still is the worst thing to happen to the gaming indusrty since...well ever really

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

HOW can they top CryEngine 2.0??!?!?!?!

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

by that time, Ray-tracing?

shadow maps implementation got to be improved. so does POM implementation, where it doesn't allow AF to work if POM is enabled.
    oh, don't forget water reflections and better beach splash effect, such as ray-trace of each water drip. though FFT water waves are very well implemented

8. Timmy_the_tortoise

I don't understand most of that.. But I guess there are a lot of things to improve on...

I often just end up thinking "How can they make it any better?".. and then they make it better and I'm like "AWESOME"

9. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

New engine to be available by 2012; kit to play it at above 2FPS to be available by 2018.

10. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

Hopefully by that point, it will all be ray-traced. Then, we will see a true photorealistic game.

*crosses fingers.

11. Timmy_the_tortoise

Don't expect the first real-time ray traced games to look as good as the photo realistic ray tracing now which takes a long time to render one frame.

A mix between ray-tracing and rasterization is most likely in the near future.. with a full shift eventually a probability.

12. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

I think it could support ray tracing in some form e.g. Some extra test level or only for the really really high end gear on like medium graphics or something along thoses lines.
    @ Timmy you said it

13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Probably, first they released the Xbox, it was mediocre and massive and was quickly ditched in favour for their next generation console, the Xbox 360, a full revolution and then they kept going in the same direction. Now for the 720 spin round twice, now your dizzy but still facing the same way.

As for improvements it has been said, better graphics, better AI, better physics (by that time the whole PhysX, Havoc etc will have been sorted out or they will use their own) I believe ray tracing will start slow for small things, water splashes, bullet flight, chicken trajectory.

Tags: Add Tags