1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Goatwhore -3rd Sept.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dozr, 22 Aug 2008.

1. Dozr

Dozr What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Hello folks! This is a mod I started a while back and kinda got stalled out on due to lack of funds and time. It will house my server running FreeNAS.

Since Goatwhore is my favorite band I decided to create a tribute case to these guys. This will not be the fastest setup but it will be the first in a series of metal tribute cases. Hopefully I won't disappoint anyone.
    If you want to check them out, here are some links: Official site and Goatwhore on Myspace

The case:
    This is a Inland MATX Micro-Tower Case with Front USB and Audio Ports
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

_____

Last edited: 3 Sep 2008
  2. Dozr

Dozr What's a Dremel?

Ok let's catch up all that I've already done.

I have a Goatwhore jacket and on the pockets there are chaos symbols. Figured that would make for a different window cutout so I ran with the idea.

Taped up and drawn out
    [​IMG]

and cut out
    [​IMG]

The bottom half of the window didn't turn out as good as I wanted so, I have some ideas to change it up a bit later on.

Then I moved on to the chassis.

cut out the grill on rear fan for better air flow and added some u channel to smooth it up
    [​IMG]

Then I painted the chassis satin black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also cut a blowhole in the top

[​IMG]

_____

3. Dozr

Dozr What's a Dremel?

Now that we're up to date I'll show you what I've done in the past few days.

Even though I'm a noob at it, I wanted to do some etching. So here goes the first attempt...

started with this image
    [​IMG]

inverted the colors and flipped the image then printed it and taped it on my acrylic.
    [​IMG]

kinda hard to get any pics during so here's some finished pics...don't mind the dust and fingerprints
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one was done with my dremel using this bit
    [​IMG]

_____

4. Dozr

Dozr What's a Dremel?

I like the results with the dremel but it doesn't look as smooth as I wanted. While checking out some other worklogs, I saw this guy using an engraver and he was getting the results I wanted. So off to Home Depot I go and I came home with a new toy
    [​IMG]

It took me a few minutes to get used to it but man oh man at the difference in the results this baby puts out. Here's what I've done with it so far.

started with this image
    [​IMG]

same story...inverted colors, flipped image, printed & taped it on some acrylic.

outline done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

shading in
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is where I'm at right now. gotta go finish shading in. here's a few more pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more soon...
    _____

5. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Wow, that is definitely some impressive engraving there :thumb: And I'm a sucker for a good black chassis...

I think it'll look much better with those grille holes filled in...

And while we're here, Goat-whore? :p I'll be sure to check em out and tell you what I think...

Looking forward to more updates,
    MGT :thumb:

6. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Well if you're a noob at it and you can engrave... I'm going to have a go myself:p

looking good so far:)

7. Dozr

Dozr What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the compliments fellas:D

I got something in store for them....hang out and you'll see:naughty:

lol...not a noob to modding, just the engraving part

just a quickie update

finished the etch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

_____

8. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Awesome! And you have the same monitor as me.

I checked out some of their stuff and I quite like Forever Consumed Oblivion...

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

The engraver seems to make a much more even imprint. I'll be watching this.
    John

10. Dozr

Dozr What's a Dremel?

Sittin, Thinkin & Drinkin

I've been coming up with ideas today. I watched a few videos that Ed Hubbs did then went and tried a few of em out. The techniques I tried worked like a charm. I believe I got the paint scheme for this project nailed down after some sweat, paint fumes & alcoholic beverages :lol: No pics right now but, it's gonna be cool when it's finished.

Also been tossing around some ideas about the cut out on the side panel. I want to keep part of the chaos symbol but, I'm not happy with the bottom portion of it. So, I laid some painters tape on and drew out a design. I'd like to get some other opinions on it cause I'm not completely sold on what I came up with. Instead of trying to fill in the vents, I want to cut them out with the window too. Here's what I came up with so far...
    [​IMG]

If you have an idea that might look better, tell me cause I'm afraid this one might end up looking kinda cheesy.

Also made a banner today...

[​IMG]

stay tuned...
    _____

11. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

I wouldnt do that. Maybe, you can make something on the inside of the Chaos Symbol. I think that wil look a lot better.

12. Dozr

Dozr What's a Dremel?

Update

The window design just wasn't working out. So it will be a square now. Also wasn't real pleased with the first etch I did (the one with the skull). I'm gonna do a different etch with the engraver now. I just really like the finished product from it better than from the rotary tool.

I'm gonna be heading to Dallas, Texas this Friday to my buddies house. We'll be building a faceplate and a few other goodies for this project. Also have building me a metal brake in our plan of attack.

Stay Tuned...
    _____

13. Dozr

Dozr What's a Dremel?

No real progress to report but we did get my metal brake built. I just got to mount it to the work table now. Got the window cut out cleaned up. While I was in Dallas we went to a steel yard and found a bunch of sheet metal that was cheap so I now have the supplies for the faceplate. Just gotta take time and draw it out good before I go to cutting the metal.

here's my latest toy....they don't call them "crackberry" for nothing...I can't quit messing with it :)
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned...
    _____

14. Dozr

Dozr What's a Dremel?

here's a couple pics for ya...

side panel cut out
    [​IMG]

and my new homemade metal brake
    [​IMG]

_____

15. highgeere

highgeere Not quite there.

I like that metal brake. Can we get some action shots? :naughty:

Actually, if you have any more pictures or details for that brake, I know I'd be interested in a separate thread about it. Homemade tools are the best kind!

16. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

nice work on the engraving. the first shot of the lettering i didn't realize it was plexi and thought you had engraved your LCD:eeek:

17. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

that truly is masterful engraving / etching. looks like a machine did it. great job. since you cut out a large square window, maybe do an etch on it, something like this:
    [​IMG]
    sort of along the lines of your original idea... do blackout, then backpaint the text, leave the chaos clear?

Last edited: 4 Sep 2008
  18. Dozr

Dozr What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I don't have any action pics of it yet but I was tinkering around with it earlier and was able to bend a piece of aluminum that's 1/8" thick. I was pretty impressed that it would actually bend something this thick.

I used 1/4" x 2" x 2" angle, 3/4" square tubing & a piano hinge to build it. Overall width is 24". The handle drops down 18" for extra leverage. 3/8" x 1" bolts holds it together. Everything was welded together for extra strength.

Thanks. Hhmmmm....engraved LCD's.....:Djust kidding

Thanks for the compliment but I'm no master by any means:blush: That's a cool idea you got there, I have a similar idea for the window but you'll have to stay tuned to see it:naughty:

_____

Tags: