1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kojima: "Stop asking about MGS4 for Xbox 360"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Aug 2008.

1. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

I want to agree with you. I really do. But then I think back to all the people who bought an Xbox for Halo and Halo 2 and I just cannot bring myself to do it.

In a perfect world, yes, every game would be platform-agnostic, and hardware purchases would be purely about hardware. But if a platform-exclusive game is good enough, gamers have shown themselves time and again to be quite able to turn out in force to buy the hardware necessary to play it.

I rather get the feeling that people's complaints about MGS4 specifically are more about prejudice against the PS3 as a console. Much like Windows Vista, it seems to be dogged by the perception that it is still subject to a set of issues that plagued it at launch (in the PS3's case, high price and lack of game selection). Both of these issues have significantly lessened nearly to the point of their nonexistence, and yet it continues to not sell - even to the point of people asking that its current crown jewel of its game library be ported so they don't have to purchase the necessary PS3. Nor does it probably help that its other coming major exclusive (in the form of FFXIII) is being ported too, mostly for fear of being subject to a potential lack of sales, which in turn is directly caused by the PS3's lack of market penetration as a console.

Let's be honest here. If the PS3 was a successful console from its launch date, people would not be asking this of Kojima...

- Diosjenin -

2. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I have to disagree with you, I think he's constantly asked the question of porting MGS4 because every single journalist who asks it wants to be the guy to get the first story of it being ported. I think anyone who really wants MGS4 bought a ps3 to get it, and its not like MGS is the only game this guy works on, so I'm sure its annoying as hell for him to be hounded by journalists who want to break the big news of MGS4 being ported to the 360. I mean come on, he's probably been asked this question for a long ass time even before the game came out.

3. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Where did you get that piece of information? I owned MGS2 on the Xbox and it was identical to MGS2 on the PS2, it worked absolutely fine. I think Konami have the right to decide which console(s) they will release games on but if they really wanted to do a 360 port they would make damn sure it didn't 'suck'

True, but replacing the graphics card in your PC is not really the same as buying a whole new machine to play a game on.

I really don't understand why that would be betraying your PC. No one considered themselves to be betraying their PCs when they bought Super Nintendos, what's wrong with today's consoles?

4. sapbuckets

sapbuckets What's a Dremel?

Well, even if he's just lashing out at the media, he's still a jerk for doing so. He brought it on himself: He says, "Sometimes I even feel like it should be on a PC so that people don't ask me about hardware and platforms."

So then why didn't he just do it? :eyebrow:

There's obviously a demand for the game outside of the PS3 or this wouldn't be a story. And here he is telling everyone to shut up about it because he refuses fill that demand, despite the fact he feels like he should do it just to further hasten the shutting up! That's an example of a first-class jackass to me.

5. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

all I have to say to the xbox fans, loyalist and elitists, quote Nelson Muntz, "HA HA!"

6. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

ok... so, no xbox 360 port questions... but... What about a PC port? :D

7. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

There is also lots of demand for Xbox 360 games outside of Xbox 360, or is Xbox the only console in the world now and PS3/Wii owners don't matter? I would sympathize with alot of what some of you argue in this grievance with console exclusive but your arguement is one-sided. It's only wrong when it's Wii/PS3 exclusive, oh woe is the Xbox 360 owner who can't play No More Heroes or Metal Gear Solid. But you'll be damned if you see Fable II released on PS3 or Wii. That just wouldn't make sense would it?

If you want MGS4 on Xbox 360, buy a PS3, sit it ontop of your 360, and play Metal Gear Solid. Otherwise, it's exclusive, Kojima is tired to killing the 2yr old rumor and being asked (seriously try having someone ask you the same thing over and over, tell me how long you can keep a straight face and be respectful about it), and I'm pretty sure the game sold well enough and boosted Konami's forcasted earnings enough that porting or not porting isn't something they are desperate to do or interested in with the title. :yawn:

8. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I honestly would not buy a console just for one game. No matter how much I loved that game.

Anybody else think these comments will start rumors of a pc port?

9. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i agree, £350 because there is one game you want to play, id rather keep my money thanks. its worth playing the waiting game until there are more to buy

10. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

PC Cheesecake!!

...... That means either my sisters 5 year old computer with a Socket 754 3000+ with a (6800gt at the time) will play the game at some level! OR my beast of a computer will play it but much prettier! OR.... I can build a new computer for $600 and UPGRADE it later to play games for a very long time too! OMG what a novelty.. consoles are disposable.

Yes consoles are cheaper and almost fool prof. but if the game cant be played on the console you bought....
    Either:
    A, you cant play it
    B. you would have to BUY that console too..

so where did you save your money? $400 for the Xbox $500 for the PS3..

oh and a few months later a DVI version of the xbox comes out to connect to that bad ass big screen you have, another $400 please... games still cost $50 for PC or consoles..

So the question remains, 'Why would you buy a console?' Why Develop for consoles when DX10... and DX11 will be making it so much easier to code for PC?

if your old DX9 card is suffering along, newegg.com just offered a 8800gs for $61.99 with free shipping!!!!! Thats got enough graphics grunt to keep must developers happy for a while, and when thats not enough, upgrade again for cheap..

I know I've only stated the obvious.. but it still amazes me that there is still an argument for consoles..

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I was going to let this by but I cant resist proving ignorant people wrong.

Sorry but you are wrong. "it continues to not sell".
    How about this, from January 5th - August 16th this is how many the consoles have sold this year worldwide.

PS3: Jan 5 = 9,162,046 , August 16 = 14,890,579 , Total sales this year = 5,728,533
    360: Jan 5 = 16,069,308 , August 16 = 20,346,972 , Total Sales this year = 4,277,663

So by "not selling" it has outsold 360 by almost 1.5m consoles this year (and continuing to increase that gap)

Sales this year in Japan for PS3 = 577,191
    Sales this year in Japan for 360 = 121,981

Sales this year in America for PS3 = 2,044,104
    Sales this year in America for 360 = 1,981,504

Sales this year in Europe for PS3 = 2,585,093
    Sales this year in Europe for 360 = 1,492,653

the the sales from those 3 countries will not add up to the worldwide sales this year as there are more countries I can do but that would take too much time.

sales are from www.vgchartz.com

and just so you know MGS4 has now reached 3 Million in sales.

Anyways, I dont see whats wrong with Kojima getting upset over being asked so many times. Hes been asked this in probably 90% of the interviews hes done in the last 2 years. It's not going to 360. He has said it is probably not even possible. Get over it. Wanna play MGS4 then buy a PS3 or rent one for the weekend. It is an awesome game. I've played through it twice and it's tons of fun.

12. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Businesses are looking to grow their sales with regular percentage increases, so as to please stockholders and what not. If the PS3's catching up to the 360, slowly but surely, that's great, but that's hardly the whole story...

Sales for Wii as of 18 mo. after launch: 28,892,050
    Cumulative sales for GameCube as of the same date: 21,515,337
    Market penetration vs. previous generation in 18 mo.: 134.29%
    Cumulative sales for Wii as of now: 31,295,792
    Cumulative sales for GameCube as of now: 21,515,337
    Market penetration vs. previous generation, cumulative: 145.46%

Sales for X360 as of 18 mo. after launch: 9,626,905
    Cumulative sales for Xbox as of the same date: 24,189,524
    Market penetration vs. previous generation in 18 mo.: 39.80%
    Cumulative sales for X360 as of now: 20,399,018
    Cumulative sales for Xbox as of now: 24,189,847
    Market penetration vs. previous generation, cumulative: 84.33%

Sales for PS3 as of 18 mo. after launch: 12,582,299
    Cumulative sales for PS2 as of the same date: 118,886,588
    Market penetration vs. previous generation in 18 mo.: 10.58%
    Cumulative sales for PS3 as of now: 14,971,454
    Cumulative sales for PS2 as of now: 120,311,605
    Market penetration vs. previous generation, cumulative: 12.44%

Sales are also from vgchartz.com.

Now, I understand quite well that trying to match sales like the kind the PS2 had is quite difficult. But trying to grow a business on a console that doesn't even have 13% as many units out in the wild as your last generation does is quite near impossible, especially when you've been running your console business for the last several years on the kind of money a mega-success like the PS2 pulls in. Nintendo is booming, the 360 will more than likely surpass the total number of original Xboxes in a few short months - but the PS3, even if it is catching up to the 360, is simply bleeding money from Sony. It's a bit difficult to call that a resounding success.

- Diosjenin -

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Does he not realise that the majority of people can't justify buying both a 360 and a PS3? Yeah, the fans who really want to play the game will buy a PS3 to play it if they have the money. But people like me, people who wouldn't mind buying MGS4 if it was out on the console they had already bought but don't really like it enough to drop all that money for it, would like it on the console they already have. The people asking these questions aren't asking about the hardware, they're asking for all those people with 360s who would like to have the game but don't have the money for a PS3 if they will be able to play it.

14. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I don't own an Xbox 360. I don't own a PlayStation 3. I have no interest in Metal Gear Solid. Being someone genuinely 100% neutral to the situation, I'm hoping what I say about it bears some significance to those whose neutrality virginity is already compromised.

I feel like I've been struck aside by shallowmindedness like it was a moving building into a the side of a parked school bus full of children :)confused:make sense?:confused:). Metal Gear Solid 4 represents quite a bit more than just well-received video game, and moving it from it's unique place on the PS3 on the grounds of 'I want it on another/my game console' is utterly shallow, with no appropriate reasoning to support it.
    Now, after reading this and so easily recognizing your blind conviction to defend Megasoft's white box as if it were a supernova on my front lawn, I'm sincerely unsure of whether you've ever left camp 360 because, as far as I know, the PlayStation 3 does a couple more things than play video games. Have a look at the PlayStation's home market, Japan, and you'll realize that the device sold remarkably well because it has compiled their (saliently complicated Japanese) digital media lifestyle into one package.

Even in my current state of rare wakefulness this time of day, I can't think of one genuinely utile asset the Xbox 360 has introduced when succeeding the original Xbox, aside from a controller that can be readily used on a computer, fully supported. It's still a box and wires for slotting in game discs. Those things considered, as well as your concern over the price of the Sony's console, I'm pretty sure the PlayStation and Wii can challenge Megasoft on the fronts of innovation and total life-relevant utility per dollar spent, absolutely.

15. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I agree for the most part, except that the ps3 is innovative. Its just a more powerful version of the previous iteration. Just like the 360. And for the most part the Wii. Same games, same plots, same thing over and over again. So whats the innovation for this gen? The players on Madden 09 have 10% more pixels than Madden 08.

Does this make me consolognostic? ( That sounds a little to close to colonoscopy :eeek: )

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well said! PC is cheaper to use in the long wrong along with better graphics and (for most part, PC exclusives) non-n0ob experience.

17. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

How is this so complicated for you guys.. some people who don't have PS3 have a passing interest in MGS4, they aren't interested enough to buy a new console for it. Past MGS games have come out on the xbox... so it's reasonable to ask about it getting released on the 360.

18. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

The problem is that if Kojima always prefers PS3, then all his future games will be PS3 exclusive, due to the very different nature of architecture in all the playstation consoles.

19. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

Why 360 give it for pc

20. Votey

Votey What's a Dremel?

"Hideo Kojima is getting a little be grumpy as lately..."

Yeah. Him say things voice with game about.

Tags: Add Tags