1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Home - Valid key, no discs!

Discussion in 'Software' started by outlawaol, 27 Aug 2008.

1. Glider

Glider /dev/null

It isn't hard to do, but it IS ILLEGAL, it can't be that hard to understand?
    You should read what you agree to and if you actually bothered to read it, you'd know that transferring OEM licences is illegal. Try phoning MS, state clearlu that you have an OEM licence and want to transfer it to an other PC. I bet you never told the one at the other end of the line that...

Can we drop the "Transferring an OEM license is possible" kind of replies now? It's possible, but not legal...

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

This is highly debatable obviously.

I have a few connections to get the OS, winxp or vista, for nearly nothing. It all comes down to cost on these dang OS's. I put Vista on my new PC cause it was cheap, if I hadnt gotten that deal, well... there are other choices for OS's out there.

MS plays it games very well. And it knows how to get people to buy there software. Good going MS, you have successfully made people buy the same software over and over. Kudos to them and their marketing.

:)

3. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

The use of the word "illegal" is somewhat mis-leading. If you transfer an OEM version of windows you will not be breaching any law (certainly not English law), you will however be in breach of the EULA. Consequently it is up to Microsoft to decide how to enforce their agreement with you.

4. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Just to be a bit of a maverick, assuming you live in a democracy, you can in theory have that law changed by voting for the 'right' representation :)

With the HP system, there is a mechanism called system locked preinstall so end users of OEM sysems don't have to activate Windows. It's based on fields that shuld be read only in the mainboards SMBIOS tables. Windows will validate some strings there against a list it stores and secures via a secure hash (RSA IIRC). MS sells the licences for something like $50 a pop. But, because of the nature of the key, and the SLP system, transfer is not generally feasible (it also makes it a pain in the !@#$ to reinstall on the machine the key was issued for, but if you know what to back up, it can be done).

5. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

On a similar theme I also have a bit of a issue. I own a full legal copy of XP Home (retail not OEM), which currently hasn't been used on any system in years. I plan on installing it on a recently acquired laptop. However the CD is scratched and doesn't seem to run. So two questions:

1. I take it I'm not breaking any agreements by using this copy on a new machine if it isn't being used on any other system?

2. Anyone how I can obtain a replacement CD?

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Nope :D
    IIRC you can buy them from MS for a small fee (like €5 or something)

7. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Excellent, thanks Glider :thumb:

8. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

The disk isn't what costs the money it's the license. Of course MS may withold a replacement disk to make you buy and entire new disk and license. And they will obviously charge you a handling charge.

Are you sure you don't have a mate or a contact who can burn you a copy from theirs, or upload an ISO to a private ftp address.

I certainly wouldn't try downloading from torrent sites, the chances of finding what you want are slim. Also remember than an XP key is only valid for that exact type of XP - Home, Media or Pro

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

System Builder versions are not identical to "common" OEM versions. As I stated, they do not have the limitations of OEM versions in that they're only valid for one system.

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Would you like to link me to some information on a "System Builder version" of XP that allows transferable keys as I'm not aware of such a product.
    OEM is, as far as I'm aware, System Builder.

Are you sure you aren't confusing it with corporate licensing agreements?

Last edited: 28 Aug 2008
  11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Of course *now* I can't find the information online. Even Microsoft's System Builder page has changed. It's now a page with individual license agreements for different countries/languages.

Way back when I was interested in the subject (couple of years ago) it was pretty easy to find the info. I was introduced to the concept via German computer mag c't, which specifically stated the difference between SB licenses and "common" OEM licenses. I believe MS even went to court trying to stop the sale of these versions, albeit unsuccessfully.

If I recall correctly, though, I recently read about SB licenses in a recent issue of c't at work. I'll try to see, if I can locate the article.

And yes, I'm not confusing things with VLK versions, although I can see where you're coming from. :)

12. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

I've been toying with this recently, ok this is Office and not an operating system, as the operating system would obviously have to be active with the PC it came on, this probably won't work.

But if you want a new copy of office (with Outlook, otherwise you just get home and student), it seems possible that you could buy this and then of the media free license keys which are about half the price of the retail versions

Last edited: 28 Aug 2008
  13. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

I had a similar quandry as I wanted outlook when I upgraded to Vista but didn't want to pay for expensive office and my old Outlook (2000) doesn't work properly with vista! Can't get outlook in Home and Student (the only reasonably priced office) and on it's own it's still really expensive. So I got myself the medialess license key (MLK) of Office Basic 2007 and downloaded the media from the MS website as an ISO - can't remember quite how I got to the download site but I know it involved a lot of searching and filling in forms etc, seems MS don't make it easy!

14. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

I just built a new system and along with a new mb you'll need a xp disc with sp2 on it otherwise you won't get a
    complete install. you have two choices buy a oem disc with the sp2 on it or have a xp disc and slipstream sp2 on
    it then install. I had a business xp pro disc that would install on multible pc's but didn't have sp2 on it so I could
    not use it for my new box.

15. ktmakwana

ktmakwana What's a Dremel?

contact HP or borrown a mates!

or use your "copy", as long as your key is legit, its fine!

16. Matticus

Matticus ...

Just to add my experience in. I bought an OEM XP a while back for use on a PC, this must have been 2003.

The original system changed a few times over a few years that in the end it didn't even have the same mobo in it, the only thing that was the same was one hard drive. But I had reinstalled windows several times, I had to ring up MS and get it activated and they happily agreed, one time I had to speak to a person rather than a machine. But they saw no problem in me having an almost completely different system.

The eula may say one thing, but MS seem to say another...

17. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

You can transfer OEM licenses from one computer to another - even different brands - whether it's legal or not, it is possible. For example, a client's machine broke down and couldn't be repaired, so we installed Windows on the new computer with the original key. The original was an HP and the new one was a Dell, it made no difference. Sometimes you have to call up MS to activate since certain OEM keys can't be activated online. And the automated phone will ask you a few questions - if this is the first time you've activated it, how many computers are you activating it on (or something to that effect) and if you answer "Yes" and "One", the automated phone will give you the activation code. I've never had it deny me once out of the many times I've done it (and working in a computer repair shop doing a couple Windows reinstalls per day, it happens a lot). Where to get a disc? Well if you have a valid license key, download an ISO off a torrent site...nothing wrong with that.

18. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

If you fail to activate under the guidelines of Windows Genuine Advantage they to give you the ability to activate for a discounted price. Just install, then try to do updates and the link to purchase is right there when you fail WGA. I don't know the prices off the top of my head but they are severely discounted and 100% legal (even if the installation procedure isn't)

This is in violation of EULA, Microsoft is very generous with their activation over the phone, believe it or not, if you're willing to bother them that much they are more likely to loose money by bothering with you and the stink you might raise than to give you the copy for free. The EULA is very specific that it's licensed to the processor socket.

WGA and activation are two different things... activation links your processor socket information (a snapshot of BIOS info) to your key on their activation servers. WGA checks the key against known bad keys (like non SP2 valid keys)

They are definitely the same thing, in the OEM EULA it references the OEM copy can only be sold to a system builder like 324820398738 times.

Like I said before, Microsoft just doesn't want to bother with you. it is not legal according to the EULA.

Exactly, Microsoft has developed a reoccuring profit off software that allows them to run the highest costing R&D department in IT, bringing better products to you. So don't bitch at them for getting it right, whens the last time you compiled an OS?

IDK about English law, but in the US the EULA is a contract between you and Microsoft, a breach of that contract lands you sued in civil court. Being an MSDN and MS Authorized Dealer, we get horror stories about lawsuits in the millions all the time, just MS's threat against us if we pirate.

Word to the wise because you seem to be in the same line of work. Don't rat your business loopholes to the world, forums are public domain and MS can and likely would use it against you in court. That said Microsoft runs its network of partners precisely so that judgment calls can be made by people who do know the EULA. But if you're moving the old license to a new computer, and especially if you're blathering about it online. Call your lawyer and make sure he's ready.

I really don't get you people who have such abhorrence for Microsoft, they may get a lot of things wrong, like most of Vista, but they are trying. Behind their company are people like you and I, they just got a head start. I could rant, but I wont.

Long story short, obey the EULA, but if you want to feel all hackzorish and 1337, download the ISO for the OEM version and go lie to Microsoft during activation, that way at least you're being up front about stealing it by lying to an actual person (albeit halfway across the world usually).

19. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Pretty much the point I was trying to make. I realise the term illegal is commonly (mis)used to describe a breach of the EULA contract between an individual and Microsoft. The only reason I posted my original comment was I felt it was a bit ott to put it in bold caps.

20. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Just as long as you recognize that at least in the US, it is a breach of the law, and pursueable through the legal system such as law enforcement and the courts.