1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your town

Discussion in 'General' started by Altron, 30 Aug 2008.

1. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I live in Egham, Surrey. Probably most famous for being where the Magna Carta was signed (cool, I know). Also for being the home of several thousand restaurants but no normal shops other than a Woolworths. And it was the home of a 2007 foot and mouth outbreak.

2. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

3. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I live in Ipswich....It's crap. Not a lot more to say about it really

4. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I live in nuneaton, pikey central. if its not bolted down, its getting nicked.

5. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Denver, Colorado is where I've lived since 1963 when my family moved here from Chicago.

Denver is the largest city in Colorado and is the state capital. It lies in a basin at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, earning the nickname "the Mile High City" because of the official elevation. Denver is in a semi-arid climate and boasts about 300 days of sunshine per year. We have over 200 parks, including the famed Rock Rocks Park and Amphitheatre. Denver is home to a number of museums, including the Denver Art Museum, which holds one of the largest collections of American Indian art in the world. Our performing arts center is second only in size to the Lincoln Center in New York City.

We have several professional sports teams, including the Denver Broncos (NFL), Colorado Rockies (baseball), Denver Nuggets (basektball), Colorado Avalanche (hockey), and Colorado Rapids (soccer). The town is very active and outdoors-oriented, with all kinds of bike trails, climbing, boating and ski areas within an hour or two.

The television show Dynasty was based in Denver, Mork and Mindy was in nearby Boulder, and the Bill Engvall show takes place here. heheh I probably shouldn't forget nearby South Park too. ;P Denver just hosted the 2008 Democratic National Convention and hosted the 1908 one as well. Some famous residents include: Dog the Bounty Hunter, actors Tim Allen, Don Cheadle, Pam Grier and Douglas Fairbanks, Karl Rove (Bush's former Deputy Chief of Staff), Israeli PM Golda Meir, NFL star John Elway and Mamie Eisenhower.

Feast your eyes on this skyline:

[​IMG]

I love this town!

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

This is why you couldn't get my lady/wife Marilyn out of our Denver suburb of Westminster. Those 'hills' in the background are seen from my 3rd floor master bedroom every time I open the blinds. The colors of the sunrises and sunsets is brutal. We love the frontrange even though we've only been here since 1980 when we left Sioux City, Iowa.

John

7. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

It can only be Red Dwarfsville surely....

I'm originally from Stranraer, probably best know as a ferry port to Northern Ireland, although alot of work went on around here during WW2 including testing for the floating harbours used after D Day.

The army still conduct excerises in and around the local area from time to time. There is also currently an Airfield and testing facility for Qinetic nearby with big golfball enclosures for satellite receivers (West Freugh).

Other claims to fame include 2000 Acres of Sky being filmed nearby and probably most imortantly The Wicker Man was filmed mostly at Castle Kennedy Gardens and in Lochinch Castle where the local Lord lives. Fortunately I used to have free roam over the whole estate as a youth and had plenty of fun exploring and getting chases from game keepers

Other interesting local info, there is an old grave yard near the white loch at Castle Kennedy that has tomb stones with skulls and crossbones carved on them, in addition various myths and stories about white ladies and grey ladies and what not are well known in the area. There are the remnants of a Crannog in the white loch too.

8. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I live in Belfast for half the year and Cambridge for half the year, so I guess I could talk a bit about both.

Belfast
    They built the Titanic here. Belfast is also known for the Troubles and various bombings through the 60s, in particular, the Shankill and the Falls area are well known for various people getting shot up and other violent deeds. However, it is much safer now, so much so that I've been reliably informed that it is the safest city in the UK for tourists. Although that suggests the residents are less lucky, lol.

Cambridge
    ...is a university town. Founded by a few Oxford students who got chased out by Oxford locals. Lot of other stuff to talk about, probably better informed by the wiki.

9. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

Alas, the Tuxedo Princess is no more, and has sailed on to pastures new. Although you can still smell the hybrid of vomit and fish where she once lived.

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The Tuxedo Princess, god that's going back a bit, it used to be in Glasgow in the early 90's.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Trondheim, Norway.

Was the capital of Norway in the medieval times.

We also have a pretty awesome cathedral: Nidaros Cathedral. "Nidaros" was also the same of the city in medieval times (A much nicer name IMO).

Other than that we have lots of historical buildings, a river and nice view to the sea (A fjord, actually). Check out my Flickr if you want to see some of the city.

12. DE.223

DE.223 What's a Dremel?

London. :lol:

Home of too much culture and night life goodness to list, but sadly also way too much death and crime . . . and clouds. . . where the @!$% did the summer go the past two years?!

13. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Well at the moment I'm living in Greece, in athens, in a suburb, so seeing as I don;t know anything about the suburb I'm in, I'll mention something about the suburb where my parents house in England is;
    Henley on Thames,
    -the royal regatta happens there
    -the Liander (sp?) club, whose Rowers who won gold at the 2008 olympics is just along the river in Henley.

And Athens;
    hosted olympics 2004
    parthenon
    has all 'package deal' brits come over to visit the islands, get wasted, show how drunk they get in front of the TV channels

14. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

I live in Keighley, which is near Bradford. Bill Bryson in his book Notes from a Small Island jokingly asked why it was that the British Army uses beautiful countryside for munition target practice, rather than a place like Keighley.
    We share all the same race problems as bradford, and the town is rife with drugs and gang warfare. There's a murder about once every 2 weeks, GBH several times a day

15. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Wow the only Norwegian person I know is from Trondheim, it looks like a beautiful place.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ditto, but manchester deserves more than that! :p

The Uni housed great scientists and engineers like Rutherford, Thomson, Bohr, Turing, Kilburn and Chadwick (Lancaster bomber designer) to name but a few. It's had 23 Nobel Prize Winners as staff/students, with more than 40,000 currently studying.

The city is the 14th largest urbanisation in Europe, and 2nd largest in the UK, centre of the industrial revolution, a massive melting pot of foreign cultures, home of the "curry mile" and the 2nd largest chinatown in the country, with the largest chinese gate in Europe.

That's not to mention the awesome nightlife, or culture.

17. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

i live in boston, lincolnshire.
    www.bostontown.net
    i think that website explains it all

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

It is, if you take the time to actually look around.

I have lived here for over 3 years now, but it's in the latest few months I have really walked around in the city to look at stuff. (To take pictures)

I think many people do the same as I did. They travel all around the world to see things, but never bother to look at their own city.

19. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

I'm from here.

Interesting gumph about Swansea:

Famous residents past and present:

Dylan Thomas (writer, and general god)
    Catherine Zeta Jones (actress)
    Enzo Macarinelli (boxer and all-round awesome dude - he is a regular in the shop I work at.)
    Rob Brydon (comedian)
    Russell T. Davies (producer of new Dr. Who)
    Nicky Wire (bassist? of Manic Street Preachers
    Michael Heseltine (politician)
    Ian Hislop (political comentator and dude on Have I Got News For You)

amongst others.

Also we have a film about life here - watch Twin Town. See the squalidness of Swansea and its little dives of rubbishness that are its villages and towns.

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I live in Boringville. Our website makes MY web design skills look fantastic, which takes skill (yet it was recently updated with a google custom search, as apparently they want to monetize the thing somehow).

Either most of the people here have died since the last census, or nobody ever leaves the house.