1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broken hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigdavie0, 31 Aug 2008.

1. bigdavie0

bigdavie0 What's a Dremel?

hope someone can help me please.
    the hard drive in my comp went faulty it would start up to the windows welcome screen and then the screen would just go black,so i had a spare hard drive i installed that and now the computer starts and is fine and when i go into my computer it shows two drives,the new and the old.
    what i need is some files off the old drive but when i try to get them it wont let me,some of the files i need where hidden ones, can someone help me please:miffed:

2. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

What do you mean 'wont let me'? Can you not access the drive at all? Can you just not see the files you are after? (Hidden ones)... Do you get any errors?

3. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

1) Roadkil's Unstoppable File Coppier if you can access the drive/ see the folders you need. Free

2) Piriform Recova if you can at least see the drive letter but can't see the files/ folders. Free

3) X-Ways Forensics if you can at least see the hardware in device manager or the BIOS sees the drive. €675.90, may need to have a professional do this.

4) On Track the last resort, usually the bill is over $2000 to recover data, they disassemble the drives and rebuild the spindles in a clean room. They are responsible for recovery data from the Discovery crash (space shuttle) and other such catastrophes.

4. bigdavie0

thanks for the replys.
    if i go into my computer i can see 2 drives one is drive c the other drive d, drive d is the old hard drive now i can double click on drive d and it opens up and i can see all the folders when i open the folder where the hidden files were i cannot see them also if i try to open up a program i can see on drive d it comes up with a warning {not accessible access denied}! also if i go into drive c i have the option to add or remove programs but i dont on drive d.
    hope you can help

5. Elv13

Elv13 What's a Dremel?

Get an Ubuntu live-cd and try to recover from it.
    Get an Ultimate boot CD and try to repair the drive with it

If you repair it, never trust it too much again.

6. Jabbah

Jabbah What's a Dremel?

Download the Ultimate Boot CD, it has loads of partition software and recovery programs on there

7. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Disable simple file sharing, then go under properties/settings/advanced/owner and check the box saying -replace owner on this-. It will get you into stuff protected on Vista or some machines with domains.

Also- programs won't just work in the new computer, they would need to be re-registered or reinstalled.

8. bigdavie0

where can i download the ultimate boot cd from:blush:

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Google it? :rolleyes:

perhaps.. ultimatebootcd.com?

10. bigdavie0

11. bigdavie0

lordluciendar, where do i disable simple file sharing from and adjust properties.
    at the moment i am running xp media centre edition thats whats installed on both drives.
    thanks for your help:thumb:

12. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

I think its under tools > folder options...

13. bigdavie0

this is what i have done so far i have took the good hard drive out and left the broken one in and then,i have put the original xp discs in and rebooted from cd i then choose to repair xp in repair console (not sure what to do) so i pressed f8 and tried to start in safe mode,it started in safe mode but sceen just stayed black ! any ideas:grr:

14. bigdavie0

please help:wallbash: i have tried to repair xp with the discs in the drive ,but instead of going to recovery console i tried to to repair drive d. i went all the way (like a fresh install) and then a warning come up (NGEN.EXE-ENTRYPOINT NOT FOUND) THE PROCEDURE ENTRY POINT GETREQUEST RUNTIME VERSION COULD NOT BE LOCATED IN THE DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY MSCOREE.DLL any ideas:(

15. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Did you try any of these? Especially Recova, it seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

As far as other steps, Bart PE (also known as Ultimate BootCD) will allow you access to all files regardless of their native permissions, but if the drives bad, you'll need to step up to a professional level (if the stuff you need is on a bad sector). Also, before you try anything, freeze the drive (put it in a ziplock bag) and plug it in and run those programs right after you take the drive from the freezer. Lastly, if these files are that important, DONT do anything other than the steps I've given to attempt to recover the data. Repair with the XP CD could have attempted to re-write the sectors you have data on or it could (in the case the drive is very bad and the heads are screwing up) trash the whole drive period. If you don't have the money for On Track, but you want to play it risky, if everything else fails (even x-ways) then you can attempt to run Spinrite 6.0 on it (which will rebuild bad sectors) at level 5 and then try accessing the data again, but SR WILL play with the bad sectors, so it can screw things up permanently if it's unsuccessful at fixing.