1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paralympics

Discussion in 'General' started by oddball walking, 6 Sep 2008.

1. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

I always look forward to this more than the Olympics, how some of the athletes compete is beyond me it must take so much effort and determination.
    Team GB has a good chance of coming second overall behind China, so a lot to look forward to.
    Who's watching the opening ceremony?

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

I had to go get some essentials (Bulmers Pear Cider) but now I am home, I have the opening ceremony on. I am pretty impressed, I am glad it wasn't a complete cop-out.

The Paralympics are very interesting, its pretty incredible how some people can overcome a disability and compete, I know many people who would just happily sit in their wheelchair and watch TV. I personally would attempt some sort of extreme sport wheelchairing, get down to my local (which is not local at all any more:grr:) skate park and see how that would go down.

3. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

Wow just wow, he's lifting himself up.

The torch bearer that is. Truly amazing.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2008
  4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

aah what channel?

5. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

that was amazing, the cartoon dance was good as well.

Like the idea of the floor in the middle

6. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Been looking forward to this as my cousin is throwing ladies discus for Ireland! :D

8. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

Paralympics are kind of lame. Most competitions with specific entry requirements are pretty lame

9. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

What makes you think so?

These games are a brilliant way to showcase all the hard work and determination of someone who may not have seen a future for themselves but thy have overcome it and are some of the worlds best in their given sport. entry requirements are a must to make things fair (eg the points system in wheelchair basketball).

would you please also be a bit more respectful to the organisation and the competitors and keep that kind of comment to your self, as it adds nothing to the discussion.

10. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

Well I just dislike division in competition, I feel if there is a competition then it should be open to anyone for instance almost all competition is split into male and female categories, I reckon it should just be one competition. If there is a running competition is should be for everyone that can run, it someone can't run they can't win, on the flipside if there is a wheelchair based basketball competition it should be available to everyone not just everyone bound to a wheel chair.

But hey, thats just like, my opinion.

11. Major

Major Guest

Lol, if that post is not a joke, you're an idiot.

12. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

QFT

Such rules are for fairness without the rules it would all be a complete joke.

13. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

So basically it's entirely fair for amputee's to be denied the use of a prosthetic limb (hey, they don't have the leg! their issue!) whilst competing against Usain Bolt?

I agree with Major & oddball.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

But on the other hand it wouldn't be fair to let the people in wheelchairs compete in the regular marathon; the paralympics tries its best to fit people with physical disabilities into categories to allow even competition, yet the idea is to let people determine who's best in competition and not through a judges ruling of just how disabled they are.

IMO the best solution would be to hold the paralympics and the olympics together; events are already divided by sex so why not put every category together into a single series of competitions?

15. Major

Major Guest

I agree with this, it should be one of the main parts of the Olympics, and not something on the side after everyone has left.

16. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I saw this thread and i thought "I bet someone is being an a$$ in there" but it's good to see that it's only 1.

I guess merging the paralympics with the olympics would be better, as they are all people that have trained hard and can perform much better than the average joe. They are all doing things that will make the crowd go wow.
    It's nasty to just have 'them' all as outcasts in this secondary event.

17. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

+1

The only thing i don't like about the paralympics is this almost after-thought, most people have 'left town' and are not really bothered about seeing it, really they should put these together now.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

Did anyone watch the women's 5,000m wheelchair race?

19. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

Its a interesting idea but its not feasible as in the time since the Olympics a lot of work has been done to convert things, the logistics would be a nightmare. Also the paralympics have been moving away from the Olympics bit by bit. (e.g. the flag us to use the Olympic rings now it is one of there own.)

Also woot! Second in the table. LINK