1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please rate my rig.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by its, 4 Oct 2008.

1. its

its What's a Dremel?

Hey

I've been thinking about this rig for a few months now, and I think that it's cool atm.

Maybe, I'll buy it in December, so I'm a bit lost about if better/cheaper hardware will come out there??

Anyways, here's my rig.

Mobo: ASUS P5N-E SLI (this is a pretty old mobo, are there any better now, at about the same pricelevel?)
    CPU: C2Q Q6600 OC'ed to 3.2 GHz (hey... what cooler would be best for that?)
    GPU: XFX GeForce GTX 260
    RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 @ 1066 MHz
    PSU: OCZ GameXSteam 600W
    Case: NZXT Alpha Classic Series
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB
    Cooling paste: Arctic Silver 5
    = $1140 (calculated from DKK with google).

Any ideas ? Quite cool rig.

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I would try something more like this:

P5Q Pro
    Q6600
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or OCZ Vendetta 2
    Corsair VX550
    G.Skill PC6400 4GB
    WD6400AAKS
    Coolermaster HAF932
    MX-2 thermal paste, or OCZ Freeze (they perform about the same, and, in all honesty, it doesn't make a huge difference. You will get minimal difference over AS5, but you may as well go for the slightly better stuff at the same price).

Last edited: 4 Oct 2008
  3. its

its What's a Dremel?

Hey... I think I'll stay with 260 GTX... I don't like ATI/AMD that much, and I really need Ageia and Cuda (for CS4).

I'll check out the other stuff..

Thanks! :)

4. its

its What's a Dremel?

What do you think:
    [​IMG]

Oh.. Hey.. Forgot to replace AS5 with MX-2 in the list.

5. lamboman

That memory looks like the DDR667 stuff. You'll want the PC6400 stuff. I would also seriously recommend changing the hard drive to the WD6400AAKS. It is not much more and it is faster.

Drop the NZXT case. The HAF932 is going to be a better choice (a bit more expensive, but worth it).

6. its

its What's a Dremel?

Hey..

It's not 667MHz... It IS PC6400 800MHz :) Of course ;)

HAF932 isn't available in Denmark yet, unfortunatly. Any other choices?

7. lamboman

OK, just checking with the memory :D

The CM690 is a good choice.

8. its

its What's a Dremel?

I would like to have a windowed case. Is there anything wrong with the NZXT?

Regarding the CPU cooler, I'll on a Scythe Mugen.. Well.. It does nearly have the same specs as Infinity, but it has a 46% better airflow, with only +1.5dBA.. So that's cool.

I will maybe convert to WC later on, so I think Mugen is a pretty good choice for me :)

9. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

As some nice person pointed out in my thread, the q6600 is getting a bit old. If I could go back in time to Friday, I would have ordered the e8400 or 8500.

HDD's: Samsung spinpoints or seagate barracuda 700.11 are really good choices as well.

I'd personally recommend at least pc8000 for the ram.

For cpu cooling. I went with the TRUE. If not THE best cpu air cooler out there, it's darn close.

The case comes down to personal preference. You have to look at it every day, not us, so pick what you like. Just be sure to check a few reviews on it to ensure it's got good airflow. I use a thermaltake soprano, and hardly anyone else has one, must be just me....

Looks nice other than that.

10. lamboman

Q6600 getting old? Big deal. It is still pretty close to the newer 45nm quads, and is WAY cheaper. The high clocked dual cores aren't going to be a huge bit faster than the Q6600 in games, unless you are playing at low resolutions (where you are getting really high frame rates anyway).

The Seagates and Samsung drives at these sizes aren't as good as the WD6400AAKS.

The TRUE is the best, but there are coolers that work out at half the price that are extremely close, the two I listed in particular.

The case certainly is personal choice, but I would not recommend the NZXT. The CM690 is better (and you can buy the windowed sidepanel for it anyway).

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits