1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LittleBigPlanet has global recall for Qur'an quote

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Oct 2008.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

^^^^ exactly. they cant do a patch because of users without internet.

As posted by Fod, its not that it's a religious quote, its because the Muslim's believe its wrong to mix it in music. Many games have religious quotes of some sort of whatever in them. But the way this was put in, it is considered blasphemy for that religion.

Open your minds to how they feel. I am not a Muslim but I can understand why (after Fod explained it) there would be many people upset.

All they are gonna do is take that out of the game and send it to the factories to get the discs made again and send them to the stores and the stores will have to send the originals back to Sony.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The one week delay is fine if it was the world, but it's only in the US. EU is going to be a lot longer.

3. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I don't remember anyone caring nor recalling anything when Xenogears released.

4. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Nope.

I made a camberwell carrot (poss NSFW drug ref) out of Revelations whilst at the Methodist Boarding school I attended.

Any who, that's sort of the point, CK may get offend if someone took the Qu'ran into to khazhi, some Christians may be offend if you took the bible. I thought Holly texts would make good skins.

Games are games, i don't think LBP needs to make a stand for secularism/atheism/whatever. I'm annoyed, but if it was something I was that I held dear then I'd hope they'd do the same.

Bioshock and Far Cry 2 will have to keep me entertained for now!

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I would be outraged if someone read the bible whilst in the bathroom!

6. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Many people at sony were doing the Team America Signal when this happened.

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

How strange other people are.

8. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

/me runs to every store possible in hopes it might still be avaible.. man the ebay value on one of these.

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

uh. i should hide my toilet reading next time you're around, then.

AFAIK, from personal experience at least, christians place a lot less importance upon the bible as a printed medium than muslims do with the koran. in my view, it's the words inside that are important, not the printed volume.

however! this is a seperate issue to combining passages from either with music. (again, pretty sure 100% of christians are cool with that)

10. Major

Major Guest

They are protecting themselves, and right to do so.

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

:lol:

This guy got it already. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=45385

:thumb: ^^^^ Truth! Alteast for most all Christians I know including me. I guess except a few of those crazies.

12. Malvolio

Malvolio .

This is just silly. Seriously, it is just a song, and artistic expression of a thought. I'm sorry, if you're so inept and jealous over a book with a few words in it, than you shouldn't be going anywhere near society in general, or at least close enough to pay any attention to a stupid video game.

Sorry if I seem extremist. Just trying to fit in is all ;)

13. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Imagine.

You may say I'm a dreamer... but I'm not the only one.

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I have committed blasphemy in many other religions, why should Islam be treated differently?

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

And I believe that publicly discussing any religion should cause people's heads to explode. Yet somehow, my beliefs aren't respected (or these explosions are kept mighty quiet).

It's a game. If you're offended by its contents, then don't buy it.

16. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Uhh, I don't get how mixing music with scripture from the quran is blasphemous. I've heard it done by people before, where scriptures are read out almost as singing, with asian drumming in the background.

I think it's just political correctness gone too far. In my opinion, if something is so holy to you, and so important, it shouldn't matter if some one 'insults' your beliefs, as it's your belief, what another person thinks shouldn't affect your belief unless you don't truly believe in it your self.

I think that's the main problem with things like this. People aren't happy with their beliefs, and feel that they need to cause a big stink when something is said/done in relation to their religion that they don't like. As if it's taking away from their belief. If you're happy with your belief, be quiet and stop complaining.

Then again, I think the people who are happy with their beliefs do be quiet, it's the ones who feel like they've got something to prove because of their own feelings of inadequacy.

Unless the goings on are affecting people and causing harm and trouble, I personally don't care what insults are thrown at what religions, if you're happy with your beliefs, then they shouldn't bother you.

17. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I really do not understand the problem... If someone wanted to quote the Bible in a game that would be OK right. So how is any other holy book different? Either all can be quoted (freedom of speech) or non can be. Personally I would not care if they took end of world stuff of things about death from the Bible and used it in a game. Maybe it would get some more people to pick one up...

One thing I have always said about things that "test" beliefs. I am 100% sure that God is real I am 100% sure Jesus was too. This is exactly why I want science to look into the big bang and the beginning of the universe, ect ect. Because I know that I am right about this and so all they can eventually do it prove me right.

18. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

What a load of bollocks. I don't care if it is offensive to muslims if putting quran quotes into music is blasphemous, because it's only going to be the extremists/fundamentalist nutbags that whine about it. Even if it isn't only them, then just get over it.

19. Gh0stDrag0n

Gh0stDrag0n Unleash the Beast!

The way these "extremists/fundamentalist nutbags" get over it is usually explosive.

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

So, what, you'll be treated to fireworks once you finish the last level?

Tags: Add Tags