1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Online console game prices (play/amazon)... where are the discounts ??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by lewchenko, 14 Nov 2008.

1. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I was just browsing the likes of Amazon and Play to see if I would save money on a few recent console games. You know.. you always save a few quid by buying online. Or so I thought.

Its now cheaper to just buy from the likes of GAME or HMV for some titles...

For example :

Mirrors Edge - 39.95 at Amazon/Play but I saw it for £37.95 in GAME today.
    Gears of War 2 - 34.95 at Amazon, 39.95 at Play, but I saw it for £34.95 at HMV today.
    COD WAR for 360 - 39.99 at Amazon/Play but I saw it for £37.95 in GAME today.

So there you go. Similar story recently with FarCry 2 and Little Big Planet (37.95 at Woolworths but 39.99 on Play/Amazon initially but now its dropped to 29.95).

Most of the new releases for consoles online are 39.95... GAME or HMV will either be the same or a couple of pound cheaper.

I guess you have to shop around, but buying online doesnt seem to be the cheapest way a lot of the time these days...

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's actually the likes of GAME that have been discounting, it used to be a few months ago that any new release would be at full RRP, most often £50. It's only now that people are just realising it, the people who don't are still being milked by the likes of play. Until they realise, then play will lose their customers, and be forced to drop their prices to attract people back.

3. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

ASDA has CoD:WaW (360) for £27! They didn't has any in stock so I has to troll the interwebs now =/

4. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Exactly, the supermarkets are so desperate to get people in to their stores they're doing silly prices. I picked up CoD:WaW last night for £27 and my friend got Gears of War 2 for £25 in Morrisons last week.

5. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

aye, i was going to mention the supermarket thing too -- they're the best place for games right now imo.

how did they get gears of war 2 from morrisons for £25? we paid £30 for our copy last friday from there -- it was advertised everywhere as being £29.99 as well... :/

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's what they do, they did it with petrol, they're trying to do it with TVs, laptops, etc. They sell at a loss with stupidly cheap prices until the majority of customers think of a supermarket when they want to buy a certain product.

10 years ago or so, not a single supermarket had a petrol pump in the UK, now they dominate the petrol market.

It's very illegal but also very hard to prove that it's their intention.

7. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

In my town, Tesco are still ripping us off ! £37.95 for Gears 2 and £39.95 for Little Big Planet.

I will check out Morrisons in town today but its a smaller store so I might not get so lucky!

---- update

Morrisons had Gears 2 for 32.99 (it was 29.99 last week the smirky assistant told me!). So theres a mental note to always go to Morrisons when a new game comes out. I bought it anyway as thats the cheapest Ive seen it so far.

Also bought COD WAR for the PC today.. for £27.61 at Tesco. Game's price was still £34.99 and was Morrisons.. etc

I guess if you shop around it pays...

Last edited: 15 Nov 2008
  8. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

I use shopto.net a bit, they're ok, price have been best on net for all the games i brought form it (by no means for all games), and have some good store credit deals sometimes. But defo worth a look at the supermarkets, i've seen a few steals before.

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

10. ChriX

ChriX ^

I use the above two links as well - shopto seem awesome. I preordered LBP from them in July, no extras offered (other than cheapest price around). They added a Sackboy figurine to the offer, then were unable to get these so replaced it with £2 account credit and a t-shirt. Last weekend, they managed to get some Sackboy figurines and offered them to those that pre-ordered, even though the game had already shipped - nice. :)

£27.99 for LBP on there at the moment, that must be a good price.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

12. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Morrisons and Sainsburys and sometimes ASDA seem to be the cheapest these days