1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Office Chair with Carpet, does yours leave a mark?

Discussion in 'General' started by cool_dude, 22 Nov 2008.

1. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Hey guys,

No idea if this is the right place to put it! Assuming so...

Ever since I've had carpet put in my room, I've found that the office chair makes really bad dents in the carpet whether its being sat on or not.

Now its really getting annoying, because currently what I've been doing is placed little carpet cut-offs underneath each wheel and not moving :/... which sort of works, but means that I cannot move around properley and I have to squeeze into the chair in order to be close enough to the desk for usage.

I have no idea why this is happening, and I was wondering if this happens to anyone else with their chair? I know I should have got the office carpet tiles, but its for a bedroom :p and I had assumed that plenty of people have carpets in their bedroom w/ pcs - so assumed it was ok.

As you can see, its driving me crazy and I'm not sure how I can find a solution so that I am able to sit on my chair without the marks being so intense! - is it because of the underlay its making the dent??

note; please don't say the solution is to get laminate :eek:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yes, it happens with my chair, it's not really that bad tbh.

They come out after a while, so unless you're really bothered about it, I'd say leave it tbh. :)

3. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

you can buy big clear plastic human sized place mats from Ikea, designed to stop this happening. Only trouble then is that you tend to skid around on it :)

4. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Yeh its quite annoying tbh, my whole chair area is dented inward and doesnt look very nice and its getting me annoyed lol.. I've tried to leave it I have! :p

lol :p I've seen them.. but I was wondering if anyone from here had any feedback? I cant seem to find any 'comments' on them, apart from the sites that are trying to sell them to me :p Wanting to know whether they will actually stop it or not.

Do you know the name, or know how much it cost so I can be on the lookout next time I go?

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Get an off cut of the carpet and put it under the chair.

6. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

+1, I used one of those square samples from a carpet shop while at uni :)

7. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Sorry. don't know the name. or the cost (although its not a great expense) I did just have a look on the IKEA website but couldn't find it there either.

My dad has one under his office chair. He works at the computer most of the day and the carpet is fine.

Nick

8. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Thats what I'm currently doing, and its still 'going through'. Ideally looking for a hardsurface to put it on, but have no idea what - and if those carpet mats are worth it.

Ok thanks Nick - does it leave any marks at all underneath the actual 'mat'? Not minding if its the big square, its just the little wheel marks are the annoying bit!

Also is it clear, coloured?

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Mine is clear and made of heavy plastic. It does have tiny pointed things on the underside that leave little indents like craters but they vacuum out and the carpet is fine. The plastic is pretty thick. Figure about 5 or 6 lbs for a 4 ft' X 4' area. With the small teeth on the bottom it doesn't move unless you pick it up to rearrange. My home office chair is pretty heavy, more than you would use at work. I spend up to 20 hours a day in it and the plastic ting helps.

john

10. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

Have used those Ikea mats twice. Both got chewed up by the chair wheels after a couple of months though.

11. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Office Depot sells the mats as well. You can catch your chair wheels in the carpet, break one off, and tip your ass out. I've done it before.

12. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Or, just get an ice cube, and rub it over the dent, and it should pop the carpet back up. not a permanent solution, but a very very cheap one.

Joe

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Using an office-grade carpet, no dents but after a few years there's now a "fairy ring" area where I slide about.

14. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i use that click together laminate and just place it on top... super smooth for uber slides to the other side of the desk.

15. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Is it firm enough for the chair and doesn't bend inwards?? or have you made a frame around it?

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

nope t'is fine, I'm using the ikea stuff as we still have off cuts from like 5 years ago

17. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

A plastic chairmat with knobbs underneath to stay on carpet is what you should be looking for:
    [​IMG]
    Eventually, after several years, they will lose their elasticity and begin cracking, signifying a replacement is needed since it cannot appropriately distribute the chair's weight anymore. You can try using cutouts of commercial-grade office carpet, which is mildly thin and very hard; it's the same stuff people typically place snooker tables on.

18. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

The only thing I knew that would "pop up" when rubbed with ice cubes are nipples :naughty: You learn something new every day...

19. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Yup, only thing is sites mention it'll come in a 'tube' - so its giving me the impression its not a very hard surface to start with and with the weight will bow where the wheels are on the chair??

Think I might try get some Ikea laminate and see how that goes :p

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That's what I'd suggest as well. However they're only really helpful on low-pile (thin) carpets. If you've got a thick carpet which tend to be more common in the bedroom, they don't make that big of a difference as then the plastic gets dented rather than the carpet. Of course if you just swivel the chair casters around every so often then those dents recover (but you make new ones in a different spot). But that's true of both the carpet and the mats.

As I now sit on a large exercise ball (tinyurl.com/twitball) it's no longer a problem. Except that the ball tends to roll away from me whenever I stand up.