1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights planned

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Now THATS great news! Finally some good RPG! Hope they don't rape it as Beth done with FO3

I am one of the people arround the world wishing for a PS: torment 2. The best story ever!

3. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

BG has to be isometric - all of this new-fangled 3D rubbish and first-person perspective nonsense would ruin it! :D

4. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

can you still play multiplayer over the internet in baldurs gate 2?

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Agreed. NVN never felt as good as Baldur's Gate, and I feel it has to do with the camera. It just didn't "feel" as smooth and fun.

Regardless, I was literally so happy I could poo when I read the title. But knowing that Bioware are not making it has made me very worried indeed. Not that I don't think the developers are up to the challenge, but the problem they face is keeping the old fans impressed, but also opening up the game to more people; obviously to make more money which is more than ever what game developers seem to strive for nowadays.

One to watch for sure.

6. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Hope NWN is more like the first game (with expansions). Never took too NWN2. Even the collectors box and miniture and goodies didnt cheer me up :(

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I must say I didn't like the first game too much, at the start yeah, I loved it, but doing the same basic quest of getting a different object from 4 different areas got old the second time.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The Baldur's Gate series is one I would prefer left with its dignity intact (Dark Alliance aside..), not molested by a new developer for a new era of ADD-ridden twitchy gamers.

If they even mention the term 'multi-platform' then that'll be the finisher.

Being a 'hardcore' fan of the BG series (and Infinity Engine games in general) I'll eagerly follow its progress and await its release, but my hopes are firmly embedded in the ground here.
    Too many previously-excellent series and franchises have been ruined by the modern trends in games development - i.e.: profit and mass-appeal over quality.

9. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

I really hope that they will make the new BG from an isometric perspective but I honestly don't think it's going to happen.

The thing that really kept me playing Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn (for several years) were the great characters you could get to join your party. If they can produce another Minsc quality character in another BG game then I would certainly buy it.

NWN always seemed too hack-n-slash for me, got bored after about 8 hours of playing it so not as thrilled about that.

10. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Hopefully they won't make the game isometric. Sorry, but this style was great with bitmaps, but I did enjoy the new graphics of NWN.

Let's be realistic: We are talking about EA here. It will be multi platform, have a console menu, bad controls, a lot of hack&slash and might be released later due to piracy etc. And it WILL have mass appeal.

Just like Bethesda did with Oblivion: Oblivion was good, but nowhere as good as Morrowind back in the days.

11. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?

Making something 3D isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as it has the same feel as bmp isometric graphics. Take a quick look at some of the videos of van buren, they had the right feel to them. It's the fixed camera angle that does it.

12. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

What made NWN work for me was the user created worlds, NWN2 never had a strong community like NWN 1.

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

What really, truly worries me here is that NWN2 was ****, compared to the first; and I'm really hoping they don't trainwreck Baldur's Gate 3 / NWN 3.

14. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I really enjoyed the Balder's Gate:DA series, and they were actually fun for what they were. I don't see the problem that everyone had with them or is it just fanatics thumbing their nose it

15. bobby123

bobby123 What's a Dremel?

baulders gate the best game seris eva

Tags: Add Tags