1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics XFX GTX 260 Black Edition - Crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lemur 6, 5 Dec 2008.

1. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

So I'm not sure what's causing these crashes, having them in COD4 and Farcry 2. I don't think it's heat since RivaTuner shows high temps of around 70C. Tried 177.42 forceware drivers, and the newer 180 WHQLs and still crashes.

Is a 610 watt CPU insufficient to power this card?

When it runs, it runs beautifully. Farcry does have some strange bright artifacts, but I don't know if they're really artifacts or it's part of the malaria simulation, or some glitch, but COD4 doesn't have them and Oblivion doesn't either. Hasn't crashed in Oblivion yet, but I've only played for ~30 min. COD4 and Farcry seem to crash within 15 min of starting.

The onboard sound "chirps" before crashing, so I'm wondering if the onboard sound is bugging out.

Using an Intel DG35EC mobo, Wolfdale E7200, 2GB Corsair XMS2 ram, WD 640GB HDD, 610Watt PCP&C PSU.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What's your CPU and system temperature reaching?

It maybe your system just overheating in general.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Is the Black edition a factory overclocked card?
    What are the speeds of the core/mem/shader? (Download evga precision tweaker 1.3.3)

I wonder if the gpu fan isn't spinning up enough.

You can see/set the speeds in the evga tool. Wonder if it's worth doing to find out if the card can run at its set speeds.

Only saying this as I was overclocking a 260gtx216 and noticed that if I had two instances of rthdribl running and the artifact checker on ati tool running, I was able to run at 630core/1260mem/60%fan/can't remember shader.. 1512? I tried a little higher originally and whilst it appeared to run fine, as soon as the monitored temperature of the card went to about 78 (after about 5 minutes of no artifacts), I got a blue screen.

4. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

I think my CPU is running at ~37-38C. Not quite sure what I'm looking at in SpeedFan. The bios also reports there abouts. That about right?

The system is in a Lian Li V1200 with the stock fans. I know the stock fan on the CPU spins pretty slow most of the time, SpeedFan is reporting less than 800RPM and it even looks slow. It has one of those duct jobbies over the HSF with a 120mm fan blowing straight out the back.

Yes, it's comes overclocked to 666MHz core clock, 2300MHz mem clock, and not sure about the shader. RivaTuner is showing that the fan is set to run between 40 - 100% duty cycle and it does seem to speed up and slow down as needed. Maybe I'll try stressing the vid card tonight and seeing how high the temps go and if it crashes and some temp consistently.

Also slight update, but I tried updating my Realtek drivers for my onboard sound and I was able to get through 2 missions of COD4 without crashing (~30 min). I'll try to do some more stuff tonight to see if it really fixed it, but thanks for the suggestions/comments so far in looking at what the prob might be. Just let me know what else I should be looking at if something comes to mind, I have a gut feeling that the crashes might come back.

5. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

So I'm still getting crashes. When the card hits 75C, it crashes, and you're right, the fan RPMs weren't changing noticeably even though the temps were climbing.

Aside from fixing the fan speed with RivaTuner, is there a way to fix this?

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm not sure, but does Rivatuner offer a rising fan speed at all? I.e. in 2d mode and low temps the fan sits at one speed and then, when something 3d is detected the fan kicks in (I'd say 70% max on the fan, it starts to become audible above 60%).

I'm using the evga tool and don't mind the slight noise of the fan set to a permanent 61%. This is with the core at 630 and memory at 2520.

I'm not sure if you could reflash the card's bios with nhibitor to set the fan speeds slightly higher? Say, make it start at 50% instead of 40%