1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Which SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by airchie, 11 Dec 2008.

1. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I plan to get an SSD for my new laptop.

I would like something that's faster than a standard HDD but isn't rediculously expensive.
    Am I asking for too much?
    Do I need to wait a little longer to get the performance of the Intel drives with the cost of the OCZ ones?

2. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Given the recent review of SSD's on bit-tech: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/12/03/g-skill-patriot-and-intel-ssd-test/1 It goes to show that in certain situations you clearly have a benefit. However the cost vs performance makes it clear that it's still just not worth it!

Buy a 320GB 7200.10 (Seagate I think). Its still quite a bit faster than standard 5400rpm drives, and also a lot more GB per £ than any SSD.

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Yes, ofcourse you need to wait longer for that, and by that time, you will want the next thing. SSDa are expensive, especially the good ones.

However, i do think you can have great usage experience from those OCZ drives, no matter what the reviews say. In most scenarios the SSD drives are still al lot faster then HDDs. The only reason to stay away from them would be low capacity, but if that is no issue for you, go get a patriot Warp or OCZ Core.

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yeah, that's the kinda thing I'm interested in xtra.
    Some of the new 2nd-gen SSDs with good prices.

I realise none of them compare to the Intel, but do they all use the same controllers etc inside and as such do they all have the same flaws?

I really can't wait to have a Bit-Tech group review of them all. :)

Shame I can't just take a velociraptor out of it's heatsink and plonk that directly into my laptop... :D

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

remember, in a laptop, speed isn't the main reason to have a SSD. It's power saving!

6. Xtrafresh

no, really, power saving is nice, by my laptop is plugged in 80% of the time. The main reason would be speed :D

And yeah, they all use JMicron's controller, so they all have the same flaws. Don't wait for the next generation though. They will be expensive too. So either splash out and buy the intel now, or accept the flaws and get a "normal" one now. they are still a lot better then traditional drives, so it's not really a bad thing!

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

There is supposed to be a new controller chip coming next year. That might spice things up a bit and give Intel some competition (and hopefully lower prices). However, recession is a tricky economies of scale conundrum.

8. Xtrafresh

That's not really a surprise... but will they be the same price as SSDs now? :confused:

9. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

OCZ has new solid state drives coming out with better performance.

Vertex line.

200Mb/s reads.
    160Mb/s writes.

32Mb onboard cache
    30Gb = $129
    60Gb = $249

64Mb onboard cache
    120Gb = $469
    250Gb = $869

the 30Gb is only $10 more than the Patriot 32Gb Warp on Newegg.
    but with much better specs. not bad imo.

OCZ Vertex line announcement.

Tags: