Cooling YATE LOON D12SH-12.. too loud @ 3v!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ry@n, 2 Jan 2009.

1. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Hi, Im trying to make my watercooled pc quieter and wondered if you could recommend some new fans?

The noise makers in my case are (in descending order of loudness):

2 x YATE LOON 120mm - D12SH-12 on the radiator - too loud even when set to 3v on my fan controller, stupidly loud on 12v
    little 40/50mm?? (not sure) fan on my stock 7900 cooler - I will add the new card to the w/c loop to avoid this
    PSU 135mm Fan - not as quiet as I would have hoped but the Loons dominate this
    AC Ryan 120mm fan - quiet @ 12v but not as quiet as the stock CoolerMaster one
    HDD - I will change the metal 5.25" adapter for an isolated one
    Stock 120mm CoolerMaster case fan - very quiet @ 12v

So firstly I want to change the two Yate Loon fans for something quieter, They push a lot of air and at idle my overclocked q6700 is 22-25degrees @ 12v and 28-31degrees @ 3v. So can anyone recommend some fans that give decent performance but are silent @ 3v but as loud as ya like @ 12v? (thats when I will be gaming with my 7.1 system :p)

Price isn't too much of a concern but nothing over around £10/each as im going to need to buy more when I get another rad.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2009
  2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I'd recommend the Noctua 12cm fans without the budget...

I bought a set of unbranded off Ebay and they're silent at 6v (I know, they're running off 4x1.5v batteries) worked out at £7.50 for 5, including postage :)

3. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Thanks for the recommendation but I can only seem to find those in beige with brown blades :(

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Change everything to the Yate Loon D12SL12 model. You'll hear a bit of noise at 12V, but they're almost silent at 7V and damn near silent at 5V.

5. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Thats definatly a possibility, they are 12dB quieter @ 12v than my current ones which should make a considerable difference but they are only 47CFM rather than 88, but then there isn't such thing as a high performance silent fan right? Maybe If I stick another radiator to my loop in series in combination with these quieter fans I won't loose too much performance.

Cheers!

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i have two almost identical spec-ed Noiseblocker XL2 i am told they are rebranded Yate Loons. it's also almost silent at 7v. and they are cheap, got them both for £7 (second hand, but new shouldn't more more than £10 each)

7. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I would suggest going for the D12SM12s rather than the Ls, I've used all three variants of Yate Loon 120mm fans and the advantage of the Ms over the Ls is that while you can turn them down to be as quiet as the Ls you can also turn them up and they'll move quite a bit of air while still being fairly quiet, I find them more flexible than the low speed ones that don't move that much air even flat out though they're still very quiet.

On a related note (sorry if this is a slight threadjack) does anyone have experience with the 38mm thick Yate Loons? I've got to get some fans for my radiator and I've heard that 38mm fans will pull more air against the resistance of the rad because they produce more pressure.

Moriquendi

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

the L's are far better than the ones you have. Very quiet at 12v, and near silent at 7v. So much so that the loudest thing in my system is my HDD and its caddie.

9. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

What radiator are you using?
    I recommend Xilence Red wings personally.

10. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Using a Black Ice GT Stealth 240.

11. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

They need high pressure fans I think ... can't remember.
    Either way my recommendation stands, or Xigmatek ones

12. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

If you're running your D12SH12 at 3V then you're not getting close to the 88CFM max. If you want some airflow headroom, go with the D12SM12 [maybe undervolted] but if you want just quiet then go with the D12SL12, Noctua NF-P12, or Scythe S-Flex E.

13. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

The thing is that I want fans that are silent @ low voltage for when im working and but they need to be high performance at high voltage so I can turn up the voltage on my fan controller when gaming and at 12v fan noise isn't a concern.

I think I will go with the other Yate Loons as suggest, Thanks for everyones help!